Some questions about formating of HDD.

Hello guy's,
I have some questions.

1>As we know during partition we have to decide. what file system you want on your HDD FAT or NTFS. Suppose currently i uses FAT file system with all documents and i want to convert it to NTFS. Any one have idea how this can be done.

2>As we know NTFS is better than FAT then why we have the options in between two FAT and NTFS during partition ?

3>Among FAT and NTFS which one take less booting time to Boot any operating system ?

Replies

• rishi0922
    rishi0922
    1.)
    I think it's a simple process ...
    You can convert NTFS to FAT by command....
    In cmd type 'help convert' and you will find options there for converting volume label.....
    Or you can do this ... .... type this in cmd window....."" convert drive-name: /fs:ntfs ""

3.)Well I think ntfs takes less time to detect the OS due to more secure and less cluster space than fat file system.
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    truly said rishi but i would like to add one more point as the answer to the query that why we have the option for both (FAT and NTFS),when we know that NTFS is more frefered than FAT.
    whenever we want to partition a smaller size then FAT is more prefered than NTFS due to its large cluster size
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    Some more informations about FAT and NTFS
    Fat stands for File Allocation Table
    " There are two categories in Fat File System
    o Fat 16
    o Fat 32
    " In Fat Up To Folder Level Security is available
    " Compression Option is not available
    " Encryption Option is not available
    " Disk Quota Option is not Available
    " FAT Supported By All Of The Microsoft Based Operating
    System

NTFS

" NTFS stands for New Technology File System
    " There are three categories in NTFS file System
    o NTFS 4.0 - NT O/S
    o NTFS 5.0 - 2000 O/S
    o NTFS 6.0 - 2003O/S
    " In NTFS Up-to File Level Security is available
    " Compression Option is available
    " Encryption Option is available
    " Disk Quota Option is Available
    " NTFS Supported By only Limited Microsoft Based Operating
    System
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    rishi0922
    1.)
    I think it's a simple process ...
    You can convert NTFS to FAT by command....
    In cmd type 'help convert' and you will find options there for converting volume label.....
    Or you can do this ... .... type this in cmd window....."" convert drive-name: /fs:ntfs ""
    That i know RISHI.Ijust google it and find the answer.
    Look at my question once again.I written that i want to convert FAT to NTFS with the presence of documents(not vacant disk).
    Isn't there any effect on the files which is placed previously on the 32-bit file system and now on 64-bit file system.
    rishi0922
    3.)Well I think ntfs takes less time to detect the OS due to more secure and less cluster space than fat file system.
    What do you mean by more secure.I don't think this will effect on speed of booting time.
    Can you tell me why NTFS takes less cluster space than FAT file system.

@anand thanks for your more information on FAT and NTFS.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    mohit007kumar00
    Hello guy's,
    I have some questions.

1>As we know during partition we have to decide. what file system you want on your HDD FAT or NTFS. Suppose currently i uses FAT file system with all documents and i want to convert it to NTFS. Any one have idea how this can be done.

2>As we know NTFS is better than FAT then why we have the options in between two FAT and NTFS during partition ?

3>Among FAT and NTFS which one take less booting time to Boot any operating system ?

the convert method mentioned by rishi will work without affecting any files. I myself have converted disks using convert method and it does not create any problem. Though you can never be sure about it(its Microsoft, remember that!) and therefore a backup of important files is recommended. But in general, it should work without any problem.

Though NTFS may seem better of the two, FAT still has its uses. First of all, FAT is backward compatible with older operating systems( ie WINDOWS 98 and 95). Also, the NTFS system is usually not recognized by operating systems other than WINDOWS(Mac OS and many LINUX distros for eg). Booting from floppy(now almost redundant in common day use but still used by many people world over for different purposes) and from DOS is not possible with NTFS. Thus if you wish to keep multiple OS on your system, and you need to access some data on these OSes, then it is preferable to keep a small volume partitioned as FAT32 as keep these shareable data in it.
    Thus remember that if you use multiple OS or if you keep your computer networked in a pool of computers with mixed OS then it is preferable to keep FAT as partition. And it is more efficient to use FAT for smaller disk volumes(usually around 8GB it is said) and for larger volumes it is better to use NTFS. For a general user, NTFS is better. I hope you get your answer as to why both options are given.

And am not sure about FAT and NTFS affecting the boot times. But I do not think security has got anything to do wit faster boot times in NTFS.

Isn't there any effect on the files which is placed previously on the 32-bit file system and now on 64-bit file system.
    regarding this, I think either I did not understand what you meant or else you were wrong in asking it. Changing from FAT to NTFS doesn't change the OS version from 32 bit to 64 bit environment.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Thanks opty!!
    I got the answer what i want.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello guys I wan't to ask something related to downloading a torrent from bittorrent... When we download any file from torrent site with the help of 'bittorrent' then in that...
I'm getting conflcting advice. My boss tells me that to move up the career ladder in the public sector I need to be a chartered member of a Professional Institution...
Hi Friends, Visit The Constructor for civil engineering contents. This website is fully dedicated for civil engineers. Its has its job board, community with forums, groups, profiles, upload download, albums...
Hi friends!! Is it possible to install a turbo charger in a 2 stroke engine?
Hello friends.. I am final year IT student,i need to submit my project title for final year project. me and our group members decide to do the project in mobile...