Some information about lung cancer

In a large study looking at over 85,000 people, smokers of menthol cigarettes - contrary to popular opinion - actually had a lower rate of developing and dying from #-Link-Snipped-# than non-menthol cigarette smokers. In this study, pack-a-day smokers who smoked menthol cigarettes were 12 times more likely to get lung cancer than non-smokers, as opposed to the non-menthol group who were 21 times more likely than non-smokers to develop the disease.
So why did we believe menthol was so deadly? The concern was based on a correlation. Black people are more likely to develop lung cancer. They are also more likely to smoke mentholated cigarettes. But in studies, correlation doesn't always imply cause.
Based on that theory we have even come up with reasons why mentholated cigarettes may be more dangerous. Perhaps it is harder to quit smoking for those who choose menthol (not so said this study). Perhaps the smoke from menthol cigarettes is inhaled more deeply into the lungs.
Of course, the real concern is smoking in the first place. And even if menthol cigarettes are not harder to quit and are not more dangerous, there are other concerns. It seems that it isn't only blacks that prefer the menthol variety. Our teens, whether black, white, or Hispanic, are also finding the menthol variety more appealing in recent years. And teen smoking is a huge concern.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have problems in getting the concepts related to slow speed mill Pulverizers : Ball mill or tube/drum mill type. They are using reduction gear box single stage and has...
General Motors India had organized an event for automotive design called β€˜Design the Next Chevrolet Contest’ for engineers & designers across the nation. Around 1000 entries were received and 40...
Hello fellow CEans! The name is Abhijeet Khan. (Khandagale). Mechanical Engineer from GHRCE, Nagpur, I've a wide work area. I've a blessed brain which I put to use a lot....
Comparison of used and new crankshaft after tempering process Hey guys,i am the material engineering student and new in this forum, i have problem in getting the information about comparison...
Trrigers πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜” Hi , I am not much touch in database programming but have to include trigger for this following table in one of my subprograms so please can anyone...