Some Info on Networking as a Career

Hi everyone...
I want to know about networking and hardware as a career for a CSE graduate.
what is the career growth in networking?is it a good field for a Computer Sci & Engg graduate?(as most prefer development and testing)
what is the salary growth and can a candidate switch from networking to DataBase management later?

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    First of all, I work in similar domain so I will tell you about my experience. If you go into Database Management, that is a wise choice since it is a field which needs more expertise and creativity. If you talk about networking, there are two segments, security and installation. Security field is booming right now. Installation will make you sit in a cabin with a lot of monotonous work. About the salary constraint, it depends on your quality and the company you choose. You perform well, networking can get you to excellent heights.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hello @#-Link-Snipped-#, welcome to CrazyEngineers. We can only talk about networking as a career in general. Because salary, career growth and switching careers totally depends on the candidate, his/her skills and experience.

Networks are at the center of any business and that makes networking an important career line - but it's not for everyone. I'd strongly advise you to find out what kind of jobs are done by the networking engineers and whether they match with your interests. Being genuinely interested in the work is the key to all the career growth and success in it.

1. Career Growth In Networking: The demand for exceptional networking engineers will continue to grow. Your growth will be determined by how skillful you are and how you adopt the the newer technologies. I'll tag @#-Link-Snipped-# to comment on it.

2. Is it a good field for CS Engineer? : Yes, provided you are aware of the kind of work it involves and it aligns with your interests. You will have to some homework here before you consider a career in networking.

3. Salary Growth & Switching To DB Management: There can't be a generic answer. Salaries depend on too many factors to predict anything. The bottom line is - if you are good - you'll be in demand and you'll be able to command the salary you wish.

In present world, most of the systems work in sync and database management would find few nexus points with networking. If you develop your expertise there, you will certainly be able to make a shift - but it's too early to think about it and base your career related decisions on it. I'd say find out information about networking field and figure out if it looks interesting. Ask as many questions you want here and get information. Make sure you do your own research as well.

We're here to be with you. All the best!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I agree with most of the points mentioned by Kaustubh. If you show enough enthusiasm towards work and you are good with your work, growth prospects are very high. You might as well travel the beaten path(safest) of pursuing certifications and moving in a specific area of networking. The growth advances from a L1 support guy to L2(operations and maintenance) and then designer/consultant/architecture roles. Few people diversify and move into Security/ DC areas as well. There are few people who have completed CCIE is 5 areas (routing , security, DC, etc) .
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The networking field is very broad, full of opportunities and growth! 😀

I was more of a telco guy (WiMAX, 3G & LTE), but even in those domains you can't escape networking. It will be everywhere once IoT comes into play.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yes its a very sensitive and a serious issue.I am proud to say that I am a blood donor and I am here to ignite awareness to those who have...
Hi guys, Basically I am from B.E mechanical Department completed in 2012 and My interest is to get into IT field ..For that I have to study all the computer...
please help me in solving my problem related to Operation Research.... 😔 no one is helping me.... 😔 i am crying ;(
a group which consists of people who are superior to you (aspects may be education,skills,economy etc.,) or a group in which you are superior in anyone of these aspects? explain...
Gasoline powered tools used at construction site emit carbon monoxide, and in enclosed construction setups, they may cause poisoning. In order to solve this problem, students at Virginia Tech have...