Solving the image search problem

CEans,

I was wondering if there's a way to search an image by uniquely identifying its contents. At present, the search engines rely on the tags & other textual metadata.

I've few ideas, but I'd like to listen to yours first. This could also be an interesting project and an idea for a startup! ;-)

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    You could find out the boundary of all the shapes in that image, find out similar shapes from an existing library of basic shapes and do pattern matching.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah yes, edge detection for finding the shapes could work!

Other than shapes, colour data can be useful too. I saw on Deviant Art where they have this palette thing to find other images with similar colours.
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    and more usual method...Content Based Image Retrival (CBIR)..but i think success percentage is low around 40-45%

What is CBIR?
    where you extract a feature vector from a image and search Database to search images with similar feature vectors.....
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Funnily enough, all the searches we discussed as yet, involve finding a particular type of metadata, and searching in that metadata!!

Is there another method where no metadata has to be generated?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello! I am excited and thrilled when I work with this new CAD software SPACECLAIM. they have really cool stuff and they are the pioneers of this technology, recently discovered...
GMAT takers, Here's a topic for you to write an essay :- “Corporations and other businesses should try to eliminate the many ranks and salary grades that classify employees according...
hi friends, I m Somesh, a final yr electrical student.I am searching for a seminar topic to present this yr and also a project based on transmission line protection ....
I am doing my 5th sem in UVCE mech .. Please suggest me any simple project to get going...
hi ....this is my first project,so need some help from u people ..so plz let me know if u have got even a slightest idea this topic ...i will be...