CrazyEngineers
  • CEans,

I was wondering if there's a way to search an image by uniquely identifying its contents. At present, the search engines rely on the tags & other textual metadata.

I've few ideas, but I'd like to listen to yours first. This could also be an interesting project and an idea for a startup! ;-)
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Prasad Ajinkya

MemberSep 7, 2008

You could find out the boundary of all the shapes in that image, find out similar shapes from an existing library of basic shapes and do pattern matching.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberSep 7, 2008

Ah yes, edge detection for finding the shapes could work!

Other than shapes, colour data can be useful too. I saw on Deviant Art where they have this palette thing to find other images with similar colours.
    Cancel
  • anuragh27crony

MemberSep 7, 2008

and more usual method...Content Based Image Retrival (CBIR)..but i think success percentage is low around 40-45%

What is CBIR?
    where you extract a feature vector from a image and search Database to search images with similar feature vectors.....
    Cancel
  • Prasad Ajinkya

MemberSep 8, 2008

Funnily enough, all the searches we discussed as yet, involve finding a particular type of metadata, and searching in that metadata!!

Is there another method where no metadata has to be generated?
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register