Solve this

There are two poles of equal height 15mts. One cable with length 16mts is hanging between that two poles. The height from center of the cable to earth is 7mts then what is the distance between that two poles.

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    But what is the radius of circle of which this arc (cable) is part of?
    I think the data is insufficient. ๐Ÿ˜€
    But good question.
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    Nope. Data is complete. Try Harder
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The answer will be in terms of angle subtended by chord. The answer will be less than 16m.
    The answer is 2*R*Sin(A/2)

Where R is the radius of arc subtended by cable( which is hanging)
    A is the angle subtended by the Top points of two poles with center of circle. ๐Ÿ˜
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    incorrect ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Is the answer nearing 3.5 to 4m?
    I got it by simple geometry. Though the curve is elliptical so I won't be able to tell the answer exactly.
  • Hussanal Faroke
    Hussanal Faroke
    it is less than 4m
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    yes, but you can calculate the exact value
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The answer is that the two poles are not apart. Let us suppose x is the distance between the two poles.

Now we have x/2 + (15-7) <= 16/2. This is not possible. So is the answer 0 meters?
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    Yes, you are correct. Answer is 0. the poles are not apart. The length of the cable is 16 m. so for its to hang 8m above the ground the poles have to be 0m apart.
  • sachins612
    sachins612
    Re:technical answ?

data is sufficient.we have to think technically!!!!
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    AbraKaDabra
    The answer is that the two poles are not apart. Let us suppose x is the distance between the two poles.

Now we have x/2 + (15-7) <= 16/2. This is not possible. So is the answer 0 meters?
    PLease explain how you get this inequality ?
  • sadasibanayak
    sadasibanayak
    Given poles are of 15 mtrs height each,and the rope is hanging above 7 mtr from ground. Rope is of length 16 metre.

Though it is hanging between two poles top, its height must be divided by 2.(We get quotient as 8)

if the distance of the rope from the ground
    =Height of the pole-quotient then the distance between them is zero.
    >Height of the pole-quotient then it is impossible.

Here the 1st case satisfies, i.e. 7=15-8 , so the distance between the two poles is zero.
  • royfurious
    royfurious
    distance between two poles =0

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I wish CEan - Praveenscience, A Many More Happy Returns of the Day! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ :myparty: :myparty: :myparty: :myparty: Hope you have a Successful, Brightful and Fruitful Year...
can any one tell me how to make a ubuntu live usb please...thankyou
CALL FOR PAPERS - 2011 SOFTWAREFIRST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE 2011 SoftwareFirst International Conference (SoftwareFirst2011) 14th - 17th November 2011, Mauritius 2011 SoftwareFirst International Conference The conference aims to bring together academics,...
Google Chrome soon to get new icon. The new icon features plain colors and is in 2D than earlier 3D. Google says that the new icon is easier to draw....
Wynncom Y36 is an economy phone, equipped with wireless speaker and the is available at price Rs. 3500. The wireless speaker will work at a range of 3-5 meters from...