Solutions to CE Mock Aptitude Test - 4

You can discuss the solutions in this thread.

The correct answers are:

1. In Montford school, the ratios of number of boys & girls in A & in B are 3:1 & 2:5 respectfully. A student is selected to be the chairman of the students' association. The chance that the student is selected from A is 2/3. The probability that the chairman will B a boy assuming the chairman has to be from A or B is:
• 15/33
• 25/42 (Answer)
• 33/37
• 41/53

2. The expense of a family are Rs. 20 a month when rice is at 12 grammes a rupee & Rs 65 a month when rice is 16gms a rupee. If other expenses remain constant, then cost of other expenses is
• Rs. 35
• Rs. 45
• Rs. 55
• Rs. 50 (Answer)

3. A and B are running around a circular track of length 600m. with respective speeds of 15 m/s and 10 m/s in opposite directions. When will they meet for the first time?
• 20 sec
• 24 sec (Answer)
• 25 sec
• 30 sec

4. Directions for questions 4 to 8: Each question is followed by two statements. Decide whether the information is sufficient to answer the questions or not.

Mark 1 if the question can be answered by using statement I alone, but cannot be answered by using statement II alone.
Mark 2 if the question can be answered by using statement II alone, but cannot be answered by using statement I alone.
Mark 3 if the question can be answered by using both the statements together, but cannot be answered by using either statement alone.
Mark 4 if the question cannot be answered even by using both the statements together.

What is the value of x?
I) 3x + y = 18
II) y = 6
• 3 (Answer)

5. Find the two digit number.

I) The sum of the digits of the two digit number is 9.
II) The difference between the digits of the two digit number is 3.
• 4 (Answer)

6. Does Shyam’s building have a lift?

I) Shyam's building has four floors.
II) All buildings which have more than three floors have a lift.
• 3 (Answer)

7. What is the code for “clever” in a code language?

I) In the code language ‘I am clever‘ is coded as ‘a b c’.
II) In the code language ‘You are intelligent’ is coded as ‘d e f’.
• 4 (Answer)

8. Is P the mother of Q?

I) P is wife of R.
II) P is husband of S.
• 2 (Answer)

9. What is the maximum number of identical pieces formed when a cube is cut by 9 cuts?
• 64 (Answer)

10. Find the 16th term of the following progression. 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, . . . . .
• 61 (Answer)

11. Which of the following is not a perfect square?
• 2115 (Answer)

12. In a class of 1000 students 64% of the students have opted fro maths & 56% for physics. How many have opted for both? (Given that each student opts for atleast one of the two subjects.)
• 200 (Answer)
• None of these

13. If a,b,c, are three unequal numbers such that a,b,c, are in arithmetic progression and b-a, c-b, a are in geometric progression then a:b:c is
• 1:2:3 (Answer)
• 3:4:5
• 2:3:4
• 5:7:9

14. If A = (x,8), B = (-5,3) & AB = 13 units, then find x?
• 7 (Answer)

15. Find the maximum value of 3 - 2 cos x ?
• 5 (Answer)
• None of the above

16. A circular ring has several beads on it. It is allowed to rotate the ring but not to turn over. How many different rings can be made using 13 different beads?
• 13!
• 13!/2
• 12! (Answer)
• 12!/2

17. There are three groups: A = (All men), B = (Men & women), C = (all women) who have four members in common and each pair of groups has 5 members in common. If each of the group has only eight members and if the common members are men only, what is the minimum number of men among the three groups taken together?
• 11 (Answer)

18. Find the number of factors of 72.
• 12 (Answer)

19. Cost price of 12 mangoes is equal to selling price of 15. Find loss %?
• 20 (Answer)

20. A grocer brought a number of cans of corns for Rs 1440. Later the price increased Rs 2 a can and as result he received 24 fewer cans for the same amount of money. How many cans were in his first purchase & what was the cost per can?
• 144, Rs. 10 (Answer)
• 120, Rs. 12
• 180, Rs. 8
• 36, Rs. 40

21. Directions for questions 21 and 22. A survey was conducted among 250 people of India. 70 people have a valid visa and 50 of them neither have a valid visa nor a passport. Find number of people who have passport only.
• 130 (Answer)

22. How many people do not have a valid visa?
• 180 (Answer)

23. A person borrowed a sum of Rs 34000 from his provident fund account ion the condition to repay 22 monthly installment of Rs 1500 & last installment of Rs 1000. Calculate the simple interest at the rate of 4.5% per annum, which he pays as 24th installment?
• Rs. 1510 (Answer)
• Rs. 1250
• Rs. 1400
• Rs. 1600

24. The coordinates of the centroid G of a triangle with vertices at (3,7), (5,5) and (-3,2) is
• (10/3, 14/3)
• (10/3, 10/3)
• (5/3, 14/3) (Answer)
• (11/3, 10/3)

25. A aeroplane when 600mtrs high passes vertically above another aeroplane at an instant when their angles of elevation at the same observing point are 60degrees and 45 degrees respectively. How many metres higher is the one from the other?
• 253.58 (Answer)

26. In each of the following questions find the correct meaning of the given question phrase.
To be at great expense :
• Expensive
• After expending much (Answer)
• To bear pains
• To be aggrieved

27. Second-rate thing:
• Used thing
• Expensive yet useless thing
• Useless thing
• Thing of bad quality (Answer)

28. Alight from :
• To laugh at
• To get down at (Answer)
• To take off from
• To be light-headed

29. Choose the option that expresses a relationship SIMILAR to the one shown by the question pair.
POLTERGEIST : APPARITION
• dwarf : stature
• witch : familiar
• ogre : monster (Answer)
• sorcerer : spell

30. CHIDE : PILLORY
• exalt : venerate
• humor : mollycoddle (Answer)
• castigate : punish
• quibble : cavil

31. Given below is a passage in which certain words are missing and are shown by blank spaces , which also indicate the question number. Choose the option that fills the blank most suitably, for the corresponding question.

The year 1991 is justly considered an important ____(31)_____ in the history of the economic policy of independent India. It was in the July of that year that Mr, Narasimha Rao and Dr. Manmohan Singh gave a new direction to the Indian economy by making an attempt to reform the economic system so that it could function more efficiently. This may not have been the result of a ____(32)_____ desire to give a new orientation but could have been trust on us either by the force of circumstances or due to gentle ____(33)_____ from international economic institutions to whom we frequently go cap in hand for help.

If it had been ____(34)_____ on the part of our political leaders and bureaucrats, the path of our reforms would have been very different. the early reforms consisted mainly of easily enforceable policies such as dismantling the license regime, reducing direct tax rates and cutting down tariff and customs duties. Once these policies had some positive effect and economy moved away from the ____(35)_____ point it faced in 1990-91, the zeal for reform slackened considerably.

• edifice
• landmark (Answer)
• epitaph
• placebo

32. Refer above paragraph
• inclement
• deliberate (Answer)
• rune
• cloy

33. Refer above paragraph
• nagging
• pestering
• prodding (Answer)
• felicitating

34. Refer above paragraph
• conviction (Answer)
• remonstrance
• puissance
• deliberation

35. Refer above paragraph
• meltdown (Answer)
• gravity
• abysmal
• clandestine

36. If you buy 11 identical items for Rs. 10 and sell 10 identical items for Rs. 11 your percentage profit is:
• Rs. 20
• Rs. 21
• 21 Paise
• None of these (Answer)

37. Two pipes A ans B can fill a tank in 8 hours. If only pipe A is open then it would take 4 hours longer to fill the tank. Find how much longer would it take if only pipe B is open.
• 6 hours
• 8 hours
• 16 hours (Answer)
• 12 hours

38. I have to go to a certain place 7 km off in 1 hour 15 min. If I walk some way on foot at 4km an hour and ride some way on horse back at 10 km an hour, I reach my destination in time. How far should I walk on foot?
• 14/3 km
• 11/3 km (Answer)
• 13/3 km
• 10/3 km

39. What is the angle covered by minute hand in 25 minutes?
• 150 (Answer)

40. A triangle ABC has AB = 3 cms, AC = 4 cms and angle A is right angle. Find the length of perpendicular from A to BC.
1.2 cms
2.4 cms (Answer)
3 cms
3.6 cms

Replies

• andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    friends i tried the following but couldnt get the solution please can anyone give the solutions for these.......

12. In a class of 1000 students 64% of the students have opted fro maths & 56% for physics. How many have opted for both? (Given that each student opts for atleast one of the two subjects.)
    • 200 (Answer)
    • None of these

21. Directions for questions 21 and 22. A survey was conducted among 250 people of India. 70 people have a valid visa and 50 of them neither have a valid visa nor a passport. Find number of people who have passport only.
    • 130 (Answer)

• 180 (Answer)
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    andenagaveni24
    friends i tried the following but couldnt get the solution please can anyone give the solutions for these.......

• 130 (Answer)
    No of people who have only passport = Total people - people with valid visa - people who neither have passport nor visa.
    = 250 - 70 - 50
    = 130

• 180 (Answer)
    Who don't have valid visa = Total - who have valid visa
    = 250 - 70
    = 180
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Can anyone explain this.
    15. Find the maximum value of 3 - 2 cos x ?
    • 5 (Answer)
    • None of the above

7. What is the code for “clever” in a code language?

I) In the code language ‘I am clever‘ is coded as ‘a b c’.
    II) In the code language ‘You are intelligent’ is coded as ‘d e f’.
    • 4 (Answer)

I thought 1 is the answer 😔

I didn't get this one too 😔
    8. Is P the mother of Q?
    I) P is wife of R.
    II) P is husband of S.
    • 2 (Answer)
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    @andenagaveni24: to answer your first doubt, in first question it is given that 640 student took maths and 560 took physics. Total is 1200. Now we only have 1000 students, so the ppl who took both subjects are 1200-1000=200. Hence the answer.

@sahithi: In 3-2cosx the maximum value this function can get is when cosx=-1 so the value would be 3+2=5. Or if you want to do it mathematically then you can differentiate it, you will get 2sinx, which is minimum at x=0 or pie. When you will put these values in the expression you will get the answer.

In Q.7 we cant be sure that the encrypted form of clever is c. It could be "b c". We need something else to verify it and we cant get that something else in 2nd statement.

IN Q.8 If P is husband of someone then it cant be mother of Q. So we can answer the question.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey friends.... I am little bit frustrated, because this month TCS is coming to our college and I am not eligible to sit in the campus recruitment because I have...
With advent of CFBC Boilers , a new page is opened in power generation.What is maximum rating of a CFBC boiler & Turbo-alternator presently operative in the world?😉
Hello everyone, i am a final year electrical engineering student and new to CE-forums regards
Paradigm2k11 is a technical symposium conducted by the Association of Computer Engineers, SSN College of Engineering. This year Paradigm is entering into its eight edition and so far the journey...
Hey dude out der ... i need some help from you...if u offer me some gud tips... m doing a project on video steganography... plzz... wil be a great thnkful...