SolidWorks - Introduction

I will be posting a short introduction about SolidWorks here. Until I do, here is an example of what it is capable of:

[​IMG]

Want to learn how to make this on your computer?? Well hang on for a bit and I promise I will post a quick how-to as well..

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Introduction

Solidworks is a 3D MCAD(Mechanical Computer Aided Design) software developed by Dassault Syst[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]è[/FONT]me SolidWorks Corp. What sets it apart from other 3D MCAD software (CATIA, Pro-E, etc) is its value for money combined with the powerful tools on offer.

Apart from a powerful sketcher environment, it has a plethora of solid modeling tools available. Also on offer are tools relating to surfacing, assembly, weldment, drawing, etc..

In part modeling, SolidWorks takes the cake in deformation tools. The variety of deformation tools available is simply amazing.

SolidWorks has a very innovative feature that lets you design parts that share the same basic geometry but with some differences, rather easily. Suppose you have to design 3 parts which have holes at 10 PCD in one configuration, 12 PCD in another configuration and 30 PCD in yet another configuration, but the overall diameter of the parts are same, 50 mm say. You can create different configurations of the same part using an excel sheet specifying the dimension to be changed, the PCD in this case.

Once the components have been designed, you can create their 2D drawings, perform analysis using COSMOS. In newer versions, you can even check if the component can be manufactured, using the DFM (Design For Manufacture) add-in.

It also includes PhotoWorks add-in. This is used to render parts and give them a real world feel. You can set the materials, environment, lighting schemes, etc and then render your part.

SolidWorks has a lot of other tools which make life for the design engineer very easy, including but not limited to animation workbench, limited CFD capability, etc

Keep tuned in for part 2 of the introduction class.
  • juma1987
    juma1987
    Hi, im new here, i wonder if Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor have the same capabilities and it may be nice to know wich one is better because in my country we dont have Solidwork reseller :shifty:
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Yes, they do have similar capabilities. They may have certain minior differences, but on the whole both are 3D CAD software. More info in Autodesk Inventor here:

Autodesk Inventor (URL)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello and welcome in < removed by admin>....i am fairly new too but there is a lot of information related to ipod accessories, apple ipod accessory, bluetooth product, mac memory...
did u all guys have any idea ... this is one part of my project... what procedure i should do in matlab which can make matlab communicate with FTDI ?
Hello if you need some assistance to unlock your phones, just reply my thread ,maybe I can also help you how to unlock your precious phones, because even me experience...
I wonder if there will be any websites showing live video of the LCROSS projectile hitting the moon this Friday (USA 7:30 EST) morning. I suppose there will be lots...
NIT Trichy Entrepreneurship cell has organized Ventura 10. More information can be obtained from their official website - E-Cell | NIT Trichy