Soldering together two antennas in wireless USB adaptor?

Hi All,

I'm a freshman engineering student at Virginia Tech so I haven't learned too much engineering yet per-say. Just a quick question:

I'm modding a wireless USB adapter for my computer to have a directional antenna rather than the small (and not too powerful) omni-directional antenna that came installed with it. I've already read up online how to do this but then I got to thinking, how great would it be to have both antenna installed if possible. So my question to you all is: Is it possible to solder two connections (specifically antenna connections) to "one input"?

Thanks,
Scott

HOKIE FOR LIFEEEE 😀

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Re: Soldering electronics?

Welcome to Crazy Engineers, scottes!

I plan to do something similar.. but just hook up a more powerful spider omni directional antenna.

Regarding the use of two different antennas at the same time, it is possible. 802.11n devices have multiple antennas. However, keep in mind that each antenna requires its own matching input impedences, so using different types of antennas on a single transciever simultaneously may cause unpredictable results and performance fluctuations. If you do plan to implement your directional antenna, its best to disable the omni directional one by removing the tracks connecting to it.

However, if your using the "Cantenna" method, you don't really need to solder anything. You'll still be able to keep your original embedded antenna 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

😁hi folks. i like this forum.
For ages it is said that "Every coin has two sides" but I say "Every coin has three sides" Third side of the coin is equally important. This is true...
Hi, hope you can help. We have a bank of 8x150 amp 12V dc battery’s connected to an inverter. We would like to put in place an amp meter that...
hello all, I just joined. Seems an interesting place to discuss!! I am in VLSI design field. Learn more on VLSI design here. A very nice place, I would say...
I m doing B. Tech in 2nd yr. i want to do some degree after b. tech. which would i prefer MBA or M. Tech ? Plz Give details of...