Solar Roadways : Will it put an end to world's energy problems?

Solar Roadways seem to have come up with a solution to end world's energy problems. Looks like a team of engineers is proposing to turn roads into solar powered energy houses and make the energy generation pay for itself. Following video demonstrates how it works -

Go through it and share your views on the practicality of the solution being proposed. In countries like India, this can really be useful because we don't have heavy rainfall or snowfall problem. Give it a look, it's quite interesting.

Replies

• optimystix@
    optimystix@
    It's good step towards conservation of energy
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Nice initiative,but not workable everywere
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Saw this only now. Why use roads when we have huge arid and desert lands. The problem with roads is that they are heavily used during sun shine hours. All that traffic will cut out incoming radiation.Sticky mud will very quickly cover such panels reducing output.
    The concept is good. Where the panels can be put can be worked out.
    Worth looking at.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    nice concept,but placing of solar panels is little bit complex..... i think soooo...because heavy load vehicles may damages the solar panles/.....
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    I think the concept is good, but roads are not the right place😨, maybe roof-tops may prove better than roads.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    How about roofing the roads themselves with solar panels (at least higher than trucks)? Or is that not so aesthetically pleasing? 😛
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    ash
    How about roofing the roads themselves with solar panels (at least higher than trucks)? Or is that not so aesthetically pleasing? 😛
    Your suggestion is good but don't you think that it will be pricy

But the actual trouble in India lies in the fact that in several areas the High tension transmission cables cross the Roads that make this a little more challenging and complicated
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Roads are rarely aligned East-West, which is a requirement for this exercise. Also they are bordered by tall trees. Solar radiation is everywhere. Why should this be done on roads, unless there is a dual purpose surface that serves both as a road and also generates electricity. Are we to cut off all avenue trees?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    How about highways? I've been on the road from Delhi to Jaipur, its currently under going expansion. But there are hardly any trees en route.

Possible other placements could be parallel to the roads (akin to bus stop roofs) to cover the emergency lanes. I think its wise to stick near roads by virtue of not having to get new land acquisitions and easier/cheaper cabling? Besides, if you have some existing infra there, you can addon other things like electronic display boards (to show traffic conditions), sensors, communication relays, etc.
  • nishant arora
    nishant arora
    The future is no doubt hydrogen. Its clean, abundant and produces a lot of energy. Just wait for it!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hydrogen is abundant and all stuff But it's harder to be confined in a simple container

I heard some Nano Carbon container can imbibe nearly 10 times more hydrogen than existing containers

But all this is really far stepped and looks distant now

Hope we manage to get hydrogen done without setting it on fire no one wants to relive the U-2 Boats tragedy again

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Indian Government seems to be planning an agency to monitor what's happening on the Indian online media. The agency will make sure that there are no 'negative comments' about the...
MindTree company when coming to hire students from campus, goes through a selection procedure where aptitude paper test is the first round. In MindTree aptitude test paper, logical reasoning is...
I can't understand what it exactly means. Please explain it properly if possible.
I want to see this post here soon why is it still taking so long to show up
If you are looking for steps to cut any regular SIM card to nano SIM card for the upcoming iPhone 5, you're looking at the right page. Before I write...