Solar Powered Oven [Project Idea Discussion]

I just read about a new DIY project by designer Gabriele Diamanti that he undertook as an inexpensive solution to desalinate water that was available to households. And so he developed a ceramic solar still called the "Eliodomestico" that operates like an “upside-down coffee percolator”.

Built using two ceramic pieces that sit one atop the other. Inside the top piece is a black container into which salt water is poured. The sun heats the container, turning the water to steam. As pressure builds, the steam is forced down a tube into a container in the lower piece. There it condenses against the lid and collects in the basin of the container.

You can read more on this project here - www.gabrielediamanti.com

It would be great if CEans can discuss on ideas of bettering such a project.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I like the idea. Wondering how much would be the cost of the project.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Solar water1
    I already built one and patented, 3-Mode powered, sun battery (ya car battery) as well as AC. Purified water. We are drinking water of my system at our office. Oh, its under $100.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In 1962 Prof.Sengupto, the first director of IIT Madras built a solar still that produced distilled water. I was operating the still and used the out put for the Chem Engg lab. Years later we developed a much cheaper version at the National Aerospace Laboratories, Bangalore. A floating version More like a floating umbrella has been developed (in Spain I think) for getting drinking water for ship wrecked sailors. The idea could be used for desalination even without a ship wreck.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is a student's experience when he sat for the TVS Motors' placement drive. Questions were based on- * Both technical and general ability(aptitude, gk, reso) * Standard of questions...
The architecture firm Gensler has proposed a floating airport at London. The airport will float on London's River Thames Estuary. The airport will be officially called 'London Britannia Airport'. It...
So it's official now. You've always complained about not getting paid enough or being underpaid and overworked. Now a report confirms that your counterparts in foreign countries makes a LOT...
Toys R Us have listed a new tablet called Tabeo, which will be available for retail from 1st of October. It even targets older kids, as the look is not...
Pioneer's new Home Theater Speakers namely - HTP-HW950, HTP-SB550, HTPS-757 and HTP-S353 are now launched in Japan. Among these the models HTPS-757 and HTP-S353 come with the good all 5.1Ch...