Solar-Powered Airplane Soon To Fly USA From Coast To Coast

One pilot, zero passengers and a message of inspiration are bound to make a trip in a solar-powered plane from one US coast to another on May 1. 12,000 photovoltaic solar cells cover the Solar Impulse's 64.4 meters wide wings providing it with enough power to make a flight without any need of jet fuel. The plan is to make a 7-10 days stop at every major city to educate people and advertise their support of sustainability and technology. The flight will take off from Mountain View, California and stop at Phoenix, followed by Dallas and then one city among Atlanta, Nashville or St. Louis. Solar Impulse will make a halt at Washington D.C. before reaching its final destination, New York.

slide

The solar plane has made successful flights in the past including its first intercontinental flight from Spain to Morocco last June. The airplane was built with the original purpose of being able to fly at day as well as night. Consequently, the new goal is to make a continuous flight of five days and five nights in near future. Each leg of the flight for the US trip will last for around 20 to 25 hours. All this, achieved by a single pilot, leaves little time to rest but pilots are trained for the challenge. An autopilot system is also in the works. Solar Impulse is scheduled to reach New York's Kennedy airport in early July.

At a top speed of 50mph this probably isn't the most efficient route to take from coast to coast, but who is to say that progress can't be made. While Solar aviation isn't a new concept, this airplane achieves more than its predecessors by making a flight in night with a pilot on board. And here's to the hope that next-gen solar air-travel will do much more.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• atul-namdeo
    atul-namdeo
    good use of photovoltic cells...
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    its great being to adopt and implement the technology in other airways also.....
  • Umesh Kumar Rai
    Umesh Kumar Rai
    Another innovative way to harness the energy of the sun and utilize it.
  • nagaomkar
    nagaomkar
    great invention have to implement and adopt new
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    If betterment can be brought about in micro sized solar cells of the same potential This design is sure to revolutionise the World

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends , I would like to know how does an antivirus works. I heard it exactly check the signature of the files. what exactly the signature is.? I have a...
The 11th list of Best Companies to work for in India as assessed by Business Today has been published. TCS leads the pack. https://in.finance.yahoo.com/photos/best-companies-to-work-for-in-india-1329482933-slideshow/
why complimentary solution and particular solution are used only in rl circuit? give me what is the significans of complimentary solution and particular solution
CEans, CE's servers run round the clock to serve you the the amazing content. Our servers need some rest and we'll be doing server maintenance during the late night hours...
Hey everyone I was wondering if you could show me how to solve a problem like this. An HSS 10x10x1/4 30 ft high is supporting a 10x10 ft billboard. There...