Solar Chimney

Project Abstract / Summary : The current technologies utilized in conversion of Solar Energy to other forms of energy are:
i. Solar-Photo voltaic conversion, ii. Solar Thermal conversions by different methods.

This working model has been designed by adapting the principles of
i) Green House Heating, ii) Hot Air Current Movement. iii. Kinetic energy absorption by a turbine iv) Tower Air Flow.

The model has the following 3 main parts,
i) A Green House Chamber, ii) A Tower, iii) An air Turbine.

The Green House chamber has a Glass roof covering and a black solar energy absorbing painted floor. The Sun’s radiant energy entering the glass roof heats up the air in the Green House Chamber.

The air in the green house chamber warms up and it evacuates through a vertical tower into the atmosphere. Fresh cold air enters into the green house chamber through the chamber through the openings in the peripheral wall.

The Turbine placed at the base of the Tower absorbs the kinetic energy in the moving air, rotates and produces mechanical energy at the shaft. The shaft can achieve speed suitable for connecting to an AC Generator which can be directly connected to the Electrical Power Grid.

The model converts Solar Energy to Mechanical energy without consuming any fossil fuel, oil, water, chemical, thus achieving ZERO POLLUTION.
The heat energy stored in the green house can run the Air Turbine during night by i. controlling the hot air flow. ii. Packing the green house chamber with high heat absorbing materials.

The commercial application will require large waste, arid or desert land area.
The capital cost of building a tall concrete/ steel tower coverage of huge area of land with glass or plastic is high.
Machinery requirement is minimum. The maintenance cost is low. Very low operation costs.
Entire commercial setup can be built out of locally available civil materials, turbines and electrical generating set in India.

The cost of power generation is decided by the cost of land and the capital cost involved in civil works. Without considering the cost of the land the generation cost come down to as low as Rs 2/KWh. while in solar cells it is about Rs. 8/KWh.[​IMG]

Benefits are 1) Clean green renewable energy, 2) Environmental friendly, 3) Easy adoption by under developed and developing countries. 4) Power output of 70 – 80% of time in 24 hours. 5) More predictable energy than wind, ocean and hydro. 6) Land underneath the glass can be used for solar photo voltaic system, solar pond, other thermal energy collection system and selective agriculture. 7) Semi-arid and arid lands can be made productive by setting up plants on it.

Literature survey shows that some thought has been applied to install experimental setup, evaluation and commercialization. The only currently working experimental plant is in China with an out put of 200KW and is under consideration to expansion to 27MW.The Govt. of India is exploring the setting up of a 200MW power plant in Rajasthan, India.

The project demonstrates that the technology is feasible and adaptable for Green Energy generation.

Some photos:
#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : i. To Design, Fabricate, Erect and Commission a small working model for demonstration that it is possible to convert Solar Energy directly into Mechanical power which in turn can be used in generation of Electrical power without causing any sort of pollution.
ii. To propagate the concept among the younger generation of Mechanical , Electrical and Civil engineers.
iii. To kindle interest in policy makers to make them think differently.
iv. To spread the message that “IT IS TIME TO LOOK BEYOND THE FOSSIL FUEL and SOLAR CELLS”

Project Highlights : We think and do things differently and uniquely. We have started this project to transfer knowledge and to make others understand about the concept. To be honest, our aim is not to win prizes but to transfer this technology to every nook and corner of India and inspiring young minds of our country to work on it and to develop this technology to the highest and for the question this win could be a recognition to our 17 months efforts and our cause to spread awareness about this technology.

Project Category : Mechanical / Automobile / Aeronautical
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: Sambhram Institute of Technology
City: bengaluru
State: karnataka
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A group of scientists from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has found a novel approach to calibrate thermometers by applying the bizarre principles of quantum mechanics. While...
The South Korean giant has so far launched K4, K7 and K10 in its novel K-series range of smartphones. K5 and K8 are latest in the offering, boasting the company's...
Hello Techno friend as a fresher there is confusion to select good field as a career. Is Industrial automation good choice for making career? are there quiet job available in...
Hello friends, I am doing Home Automation Solutions to people based on their requirements and situations. I am looking for a gang (Free Lancers or part time workers) (only south...
Hi can any tell me whether b tech marine is eligible for indian enginerering services