SOL : Solar Laptop Needs 2 Hours Of Solar Energy To Deliver 10 Hours Of uBuntu

If you thought only Apple's got the awesome(st) battery life in their laptops, uBuntu has an answer. The new laptop, "SOL" lets you enjoy 10 hours of uBuntu on 2 hours of solar charging. Incredible, isn't it? Well, it indeed is true. SOL is the world's first fully solar-powered laptop which doesn't need a power point to charge itself. The company calls it 'All-Terrain', 'Off-Road', "Sports Utility Laptop". Keeping up with the description, the laptop does offer a solid, rugged design for durability on your venture into the most remote places on the Earth, where the sunlight is available.

slide

SOL comes loaded with uBuntu operating system - which continues to be one of the most favorite open source OS of the desktop users. We don't know which version of uBuntu it runs but we don't know a reason it wont' run Ubuntu 13.04. The official website is yet to open to the orders, and no concrete information is available about the specifications. It's expected that the laptop will feature at least a 250 Gb inbuilt storage and about 2 GB of RAM.

SOL-uBuntu

No details are available about the display size, screen specifications etc. Like all of you, we're waiting patiently for the official website to reveal things. Visit it on the source link below-

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Ubunto - Makes way for others to follow as battery life is the most desired feature a laptop lover searching for.Pricing will be high but considering its portability and life adventurers need to take a look at it.
  • Gayathiri pillai
    Gayathiri pillai
    a wonderfull product for future
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    PC Configuration :
    CPU: Intel Atom D2500 1.86 GHz Duo Core, Intel 945GSE + ICH7M
    HDD: Seagate 2.5” SATA HDD 320GB
    RAM: Kingston 2-4GB DDRIII SDRAM (Options Available)
    Graphics: 1080p HD Vide, Built-In Intel GMA3600 Graphics
    Battery Operating Time: 8 - 10 hours

Display: 13.3" LCD, WXGA, 1366 x 768
    Camera: 3MP
    Audio: Realtek ALC661 HD Audio, Built-in 2 Speakers | Internal mic + 1/8” input
    3 USB2.0, Headphone jack, HDMI, LAN(10/100), Card reader (SD/MS/MMC)

Modem: 3G/4G World/multimode LTE
    GPS: gpsOne Gen8A
    WiFi: MIMO 802.11b/gn (2.4/5GHz)
    Bluetooth: Integrated Digital Core BT4.0

Price : $350 & $400(for submersible version)

Also comes with few colors (My favourite is Rhino & Black Mamba, what's yous ?) :

SOL-Family

Source : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow, looks like their site opened up just a few hours ago. Thank you for posting the configuration, #-Link-Snipped-#. I'd really want this computer to make it to India. It has the power to change computing.

I think if it makes it to India with a price tag of Rs. 25,000; it'd sell like a hot cake. I bet!

SOL
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am waiting for SOL for Student. The page of SOL for student is showing countdown, I am quite excited about it.
    Will it be cheaper for students ?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Well, I must say it's pretty awesome. But, think about it
    this way:

1. Where would you actually keep it for charging in India? Personally, I wouldn't want to keep a laptop out in the sun where it's unsafe. I live on the ground floor and we don't get sufficient sunlight here.

Solution:- If the curved edges of this laptop had a hook design, then maybe I could think of buying a chain and locking it up just like I would do a bicycle.

2. Say, I managed to lock it up and leave it outside for charging, what happens when it starts to rain unpredictably?

Solution:- Only if it was waterproof.

UPDATE: SOL Marine is waterproof and comes at 400 $ (50 $ above official SOL)

3. What if I slept leaving it outside? Good luck if someone doesn't try and steal it.

Solution:- Make use of fingerprint technology and anti-theft sensors like they do in automobiles - this would definitely make it a Sport Utility Laptop then ;-)

Verdict:- Not suitable for most locations in India. Hence it won't sell like hot cake - atleast initially!

P.S.: People have more options in this price range today!

P.P.S.: Sorry I had to say all this folks, but SOL - if you're listening, you know how you can pimp this baby up!

P.P.P.S.: Come on, I wish those looks could beat Alienware - but try and make Mamba red - more sexier! Throw in an LED or two to give it that gamer look.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - The problems you've listed are genuine, but they apply to all the machines. I think the laptop will charge even if the room has sufficient light. No need to keep it in 100% sunlight. That's my guess, though.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Cool stuff. Saying that the laptop was designed to be used in developing countries with limited electricity is wrong though. #-Link-Snipped-# 's concerns are genuine.

#-Link-Snipped-# - There has to be a way of liking the comments as well. They deserve some appreciation too, after all. 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, maybe in the next upgrade.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Seems like most of the problems listed by #-Link-Snipped-# are were already thought of by the designers.

anoopthefriend
    Well, I must say it's pretty awesome. But, think about it
    this way:

1. Where would you actually keep it for charging in India? Personally, I wouldn't want to keep a laptop out in the sun where it's unsafe. I live on the ground floor and we don't get sufficient sunlight here.

Solution:- If the curved edges of this laptop had a hook design, then maybe I could think of buying a chain and locking it up just like I would do a bicycle.

The solar-panels are detachable and can even be attached to the laptop via an extension cord allowing users to keep the panels outside (maybe hang them on the window) and continue to work on the laptop indoors as the laptop gets charged.
    And, it can charge in standard brightness, so no need of the scorching sun as such.
    Additionally, the laptop comes with an AC charger adapter and can also be charged through a standard AC outlet.

Regarding the chain option: Most laptops designed with military robustness feature a lock-cable attachment point on their frame. I presume this one will be no different either.

anoopthefriend
    2. Say, I managed to lock it up and leave it outside for charging, what happens when it starts to rain unpredictably?

Solution:- Only if it was waterproof.
    It has the submersible version which is waterproof. Although the designers do not recommend that we go diving or swimming with it but they do assure us that water won't be this laptop's arch nemesis.

anoopthefriend
    3. What if I slept leaving it outside? Good luck if someone doesn't try and steal it.

Solution:- Make use of fingerprint technology and anti-theft sensors like they do in automobiles - this would definitely make it a Sport Utility Laptop then ;-)
    A better option would be to attach the lock-cable on the laptop and make the other end of the cable loop around your waist. That way no one would be able to steal your laptop without taking you along. 😉
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lovebox
    Seems like most of the problems listed by #-Link-Snipped-# are were already thought of by the designers.
    The solar-panels are detachable and can even be attached to the laptop via an extension cord allowing users to keep the panels outside (maybe hang them on the window) and continue to work on the laptop indoors as the laptop gets charged.
    And, it can charge in standard brightness, so no need of the scorching sun as such.
    Additionally, the laptop comes with an AC charger adapter and can also be charged through a standard AC outlet.
    Ok, I found this info on Gizmag but not on official SOL website.

It has the submersible version which is waterproof. Although the designers do not recommend that we go diving or swimming with it but they do assure us that water won't be this laptop's arch nemesis.
    Oh yes, SOL Marine - and it comes at 400 $ (50 $ more than the official SOL) - It's on their official website.

Regarding the chain option: Most laptops designed with military robustness feature a lock-cable attachment point on their frame. I presume this one will be no different either.

A better option would be to attach the lock-cable on the laptop and make the other end of the cable loop around your waist. That way no one would be able to steal your laptop without taking you along. 😉
    Where does this lock cable hook to?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Has a killer looks,
    Supports ubuntu and can give the 10 hours of support with 2 hours of charging, doesn't have a panel to charge with electricity.

I was just wondering, that what will happen If i will travel to some cold places in Europe with this laptop where 2 hours of sun light is tough to get even during the day??
    -CB
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    anoopthefriend
    Ok, I found this info on Gizmag but not on official SOL website.
    Please check out the official website's FAQ section:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

anoopthefriend
    Oh yes, SOL Marine - and it comes at 400 $ (50 $ more than the official SOL) - It's on their official website.
    Well, you brought forth a possible problem area, and I just tried to bring to your notice that they have already thought about it. I don't know on what basis they have decided the price. Sorry about that.

anoopthefriend
    Where does this lock cable hook to?

The lock cable hooks to the K-Slot also called the Kensington Lock Slot. Most laptops have this slot. It is a metal reinforced slot for prevention against theft.
    It looks something like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like most laptops, I presume that SOL will also have the K-Slot. Even if it does not, there is help at hand. One can use Kensington Anchor Point for attaching a lock cable.

[​IMG]
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lovebox
    Please check out the official website's FAQ section:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Never noticed this from the phone mate. Thanks for clearing my doubt.

The lock cable hooks to the K-Slot also called the Kensington Lock Slot. Most laptops have this slot. It is a metal reinforced slot for prevention against theft.
    It looks something like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like most laptops, I presume that SOL will also have the K-Slot. Even if it does not, there is help at hand. One can use Kensington Anchor Point for attaching a lock cable.

[​IMG]
    Thanks again. Never knew this before and never thought about it either.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    anoopthefriend
    Never noticed this from the phone mate. Thanks for clearing my doubt.

Thanks again. Never knew this before and never thought about it either.

You are welcome pal. Happy to be of some assistance to you.
  • Churchill2
    Churchill2
    Its the world's first This new Linux laptop is still in development will be named as SOL. SOL comes loaded with all the productivity and creativity tools you need. You don't need to purchase any more software to get started.
    Its being developed by the WeWi Telecommunications known for their disaster services.To make the SOL capable of running on solar-powered batteries its a low-powered laptop.

The SOL's specs are:
    CPU: Intel Atom D2500 1.86 GHz Duo Core, Intel 945GSE + ICH7M
    HDD: Seagate 2.5" SATA HDD 320GB
    RAM: Kingston 2-4GB DDRIII SDRAM
    Graphics: 1080p HD Vide, Built-In Intel GMA3600 Graphics
    Display: 13.3" LCD, WXGA, 1366 x 768
    Camera: 3MP
    Audio: Realtek ALC661 HD Audio, Built-in 2 Speakers | Internal mic + 1/8" input
    3 USB2.0, Headphone jack, HDMI, LAN(10/100), Card reader (SD/MS/MMC)
    Modem: 3G/4G World/multimode LTE
    GPS: gpsOne Gen8A
    Wi-Fi: MIMO 802.11b/gn (2.4/5GHz)
    Bluetooth: Integrated Digital Core BT4.0

The company claims that with this configuration, and its built-in Photovoltaic solar panels with 16 percent efficiency, it will have a battery life of 8 to 10 hours.
    Its basically gonna be designed for the usage of laptops in remote areas.
    [​IMG]

But is this new technology really worth for remote areas?
    SOL is a path to not only a cleaner, but a better tomorrow.
    Let us wait for its arrival.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Please search before you post. I've merged your thread with the existing thread.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    They are claiming 10hours of backup on 2hours of charging. And this is all lab tested. I am not sure how much battery backup it will give on field. They should have ALSO included feature of electric charging too. So if solar isn't helping, normally it can be used. This feature should have been there. Otherwise this is not a promising gadget.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Maruthi Suzuki is secretly working on replacing engine in their car models such as A-Star and estilo.It was reported that MS is finding its replaccement for 800cc engine and it...
Reliance 4G rollout all over India is expected in the first half of 2014 and Reliance Jio, the company specially formed to handle 4G services has obtained an approval from...
Airtel is launching 4G services in Delhi in the next few weeks. According to telecomtiger, Huawei is most likely to handle the overall rollout plan, design, supply and deploy Airtel's...
Jeff Bezos, Founder and CEO of Amazon, will be purchasing popular newspaper The Washington Post for a whoping $250 million (£163m) along with several of its affiliations. That being said,...
A recent spy shot has revealed that Lamborghini has planned to replace Gallardo with Cabrera.We all knew about the legacy of Gallardo and it had a record sales of 13,000...