Software for startups!

I'm wondering what software can startups use to keep the costs minimum and get the work done.

The basic minimum requirement can start with -

Office Tools [ Document Editing, Spreadsheets, Presentation ]:
Microsoft Office, Open Office

Internet & Email:
Outlook, Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, IE.

Accounting:
Recommendations?

Replies

• Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    Accounting:
    Simply Accounting (Best Software), tally 9
  • safwan
    safwan
    Tally is best but it may be less effective for large startups.
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    2009 Accounting Software Review Product Comparisons

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • gsxraddict
    gsxraddict
    For finance you can use Mint for free.
  • haljordan5
    haljordan5
    can anyone suggest any affordable project management web apps that do CRM and billing?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    haljordan5
    can anyone suggest any affordable project management web apps that do CRM and billing?
    Look at ZoHo : Zoho - Cloud Software Suite and SaaS Applications

They have a wide array of services.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Looks impressive, I will try it for sure. Thanks biggi for the good information.
  • jd3cker
    jd3cker
    Aside from things such as accounting software, I'd look into Google Apps Enterprise. $50 per user per year is hard to beat. You can almost run a small business off of Google Apps alone.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    I prefer integrated Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software like OpenERP

but as single software for every task I think

- SugarCRM for Customer Relationship Management
    - OrangeHRM for Human Resource Management
    - Mint for financial services

All of them are free & open source.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @MaRo: Can mint be used to manage starups' finance? If yes, how's your experience with it?
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    According to the size of the start-up, If it has a lot of transactions & dealing with several clients & supporters and If it needs detailed budget, financial, management reports, Mint isn't for it.

Mint is for personal, small transactions reports.

I didn't use it personally nor we use it in our business, but we use a self-made software do the same work & I don't recommend it for any business in the meantime 😁
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    haljordan5
    there are many others but ive tried these and they are free and good. try which ones suit ur use.
    try sugar crm(free i think)
    gnucash(free)
    Tcash(free)
  • callyD
    callyD
    One advice is to select a product that can continue to serve your business as it grows.
  • Themis Consult
    Themis Consult
    The_Big_K
    I'm wondering what software can startups use to keep the costs minimum and get the work done.

The basic minimum requirement can start with -

Office Tools [ Document Editing, Spreadsheets, Presentation ]:
    Microsoft Office, Open Office

Internet & Email:
    Outlook, Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, IE.

Accounting:
    Recommendations?
    Hi, there are various software’s that start-ups can use, such as quick books or Xero. Though to start with plugging numbers into excel might be sufficient.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Themis Consult
    Hi, there are various software’s that start-ups can use, such as quick books or Xero. Though to start with plugging numbers into excel might be sufficient.
    Advertising is not allowed in posts.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    jd3cker
    Aside from things such as accounting software, I'd look into Google Apps Enterprise. $50 per user per year is hard to beat. You can almost run a small business off of Google Apps alone.

One of the best tools to use. Google Apps. Extremely powerful. Have you seen the user scripts and custom scripts on Google Spreadsheet? The Gmail system, Voice/Video chat, Documents, Google Sites.

Even CRM can be built around it but that wouldn't be recomended.

100% support GA and am in the process of implementing it in our company within the next 2 months.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We've been Google Apps to power our email. We were one of the early adopters and since then never felt the need to switch to any other system. Heck I don't even login to the web-interface. I'm still looking for a good accounting and HR software to manage things. Plus my quest for virtual team collaboration software seems to be never-ending. Yammer looked like a good option.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Yea, I could never find a good accounting software. #-Link-Snipped-# suggested GNUCash. I was using it in a previous startup I was working for. They had cash transactions everyday and bank transfers at least once in 2 weeks. And GNU Cash worked excellently. It looks like a spam shareware from the 90's but it works like a charm.

As for HR, I don't think you need a full fledged system for startups. GNU Cash has employee data and payroll system.

I used to use Excel and Individual folders for their paperwork. Same in real, cupboard with clear files storing their passport copies, contracts, visa, etc. It worked well.

And I don't know why but I dislike Yammer, a lot. It's like a bad combination of Linked In and Google Apps which is fine, but the way they market it... It sells and I am a bit jealous of their knowledge of exploiting the stupidity of Executives in suits, who are their main buyers.

Insightful review by users. Not such a useful productive tool. It will fall.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Microsoft's acquiring Yammer for about a 1.5 billion USD! Huh!
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Yup. First instagram, then Yammer. My CEO told me something very interesting. It's not really about the product but the database associated with it, the people, information. The same thing, I guess, Flipkart taking in LetsBuy.com. Surely, they must have sold/given the dB to them.

Here, we have come to realize how important database is, without which our business would completely die off.

Don't know if my theory still holds for Yammer being bought by MS. What do you guys think?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Marketing firm QuinStreet has bought the domain name "Insure.com" for eye-popping $16 million! I'm unable to load the website in my browser for God-only-knows reason! Hah!
My friend tried her best to make me believe that world is going to end by 2012..!😒 even though i tried to reason it out to her , she is...
we shall then go on with improving power factor projects, whuich will help to increase efficient use of energy
Barack Obama US president won the Nobel Peace Prize 2009. Post your feelings on it. Read more here!! Jamaica Gleaner News - Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize - International -...
hi frnz i need a format to do a paper presentation .plz help me