person" and the stereotype is that is you are a software engineer that
#1 you like the cubical and could careless about socialization and don't
need people. #2 You really like math. #3 You are male. Since I am none
of these things and I am thinking of doing this as a second career I
need some mentoring.

I can Do math (i.e. I got A's and B's in school with things like
trig, calc, stats, Chem, etc.) but I do not LOVE math. So I stayed away
from anything typical science or engineering cause...well I was told I
was a people person and I should work with people.

So any personal stories as to why one decides to be a software engineer would be appreciated.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Welcome to CrazyEngineers, Marie!

I can understand your concern. Here at CE, we believe that engineering is more about passion than getting a degree.
    If you love to create something or could repair something and enjoy the process, you are already an engineer.
    As far as software engineering is concerned, it's not true that you can't socialize at all. Gender bias is history and we have got super-computers to help us with the mathematics. ;-)

Be an active member with CrazyEngineers. Happy Posting around the forum.
  • Marie Hess
    Marie Hess
    Thanks for your reply ๐Ÿ˜€

Why I think SE will facilitate one of my "passions". There are very few professions where you can actually "create" something...and even an original something...and I really want to be able to "create". I am also a "problem solver" like puzzles that I have to figure out, and I like the flexibility of the profession.

What is in the profession that causes people to leave it or cause people to drop out of the college curriculum? Why are there not more SE's? Why are there not more female SE's?

Thanks for answering and entertaining my questions while I decide what I want to do when I grow up ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    First computer programmer was female. I don't know about the ratio of males/females in software engineering. Here on CE we treat everyone equal - maybe that's the reason we don't ask any personal information about our users (gender, location, education and so on)

Software engineering is all about 'visualization' and 'logic'. Welcome to the CrazyEngineers team and I am sure you'll enjoy our company ๐Ÿ˜€
  • gohm
    gohm
    Welcome to CE! Good luck on your career change & be sure to keep us updated. Do you plan on taking any classes soon? If you haven't already, go out for coffee with some SEs that are either working in an area or company you could see yourself involved in. You'll learn a lot about what to expect. Also, join any prfoessional organizations in your area that cater to the SE field and attend events to learn and network.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    welcome to CE
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Welcome to CE, Marie!
    Keep an active participation with us!
    Yes, we don't have any discrimination on CE ๐Ÿ˜
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    welcome to CE.
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    Welcome to CE buddy!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This quiz is about some of the shortcut keys that were built into the Windows operating systems. 1. You put your mouse on the taskbar and notice that the "show...
Just trying to get ideas for a project and was wondering what materials i could use to build the body that would attach to a frame like body panels of...
Autmattic - the company behind wordpress, world's most popular blogging software has released the latest version 3.1. I immediately downloaded and installed the software to see what's new. Here's my...
Guys i am facing some problem is configuring postgre in my pc when i tried to connect to my localhost server ,it shows me a error named server didn't accept...
Guys which one will you prefer? democracy or dictatorship? Please also give reasons