Software enables mobiles to communicate during a disaster

Quote: Software developed by Flinders University’s Dr Paul Gardner-Stephen that enables mobile phones to communicate during a disaster will be freely available to the public by the end of the year thanks to the support of the Dutch NLnet Foundation. Endquote

Read more: #-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    The idea is good, but giving a thought to it, we are talking about mobiles right? though a adhoc network can be formed, we cant assure 100% relaibility as the devices might go out of range like the normal mobiles going out of the signal range?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Quote: Instead of relying on mobile phone towers, the Serval system relays calls from one mobile phone to another as either a ‘closed’ network or to connect to a temporary tower. Unquote

You are right about your concerns.
    Apparently this will work with compatible mobile phones. Assuming enough of these phones are in a region it may work. Since each phone can reach a tower even now, it can probably reach another phone. Probably the software will send an SOS kind of message to all phones irrespective of the ID of the phone.
    We have to wait and see.

Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Alberta University-led researchers have confirmed that a relatively harmless inorganic form of mercury found worldwide in ocean water is transformed into a potent neurotoxin in the seawater itself. Read more:...
Is there any BB Code is available to make a Table in our post? i found this type of BB code is available on some forums. Like if i want...
Hello Ceans, Here i want to share one small project that i have made for RF communication. I am going to show off the Some Pics i have taken for...
I'm doing B.tech in Electrical & Electronics(3rd yr). I want to earn a handsome salary(around or above 6lakhs). I'm a bit more interested in core sector but the core jobs...
hi , I am a new member in this website and i need help form you , I am in higher Diploma level in electrical , and i have to...