Software Defined GPS Receiver

how are you guys
i want to make a final year project and i want to ask you a basic question:
"Can i recieve GPS signal FOR FREE and make some processing on it to get the positioning data???"

i will be very pleased with your help
thanks in advance

Replies

• 4d1
    4d1
    Re: How to Recieve GPS Signal

omar abdalla
    how are you guys
    i want to make a final year project and i want to ask you a basic question:
    "Can i recieve GPS signal FOR FREE and make some processing on it to get the positioning data???"

i will be very pleased with your help
    thanks in advance
    i think you just need a GPS receiver. GPS works anywhere on the planet where you can receive signals from the satellite. You will need a pretty clear view of the sky for GPS to work, so it won't work inside buildings, underground or even in a forest.

*as far as i know ,the global positioning system is owned and operated by US department of defence. but it is available freely to anyone in the world for use.
  • omar abdalla
    omar abdalla

thank you 4d1 for ur reply
    do you mean that it is free to use a GPS satellite to get my position??
    knowing that i will make the hardware, i won't buy a ready portable GPS!!
  • Muffy
    Muffy

To receive signals form GPS satellites you will need a GPS module [#-Link-Snipped-#. Unless your project involves building a GPS receiver, don't try to, it will be an expensive and complicated affair. You can purchase one of those modules and interface it with whatever it is your doing.
  • omar abdalla
    omar abdalla

Muffy
    To receive signals form GPS satellites you will need a GPS module [#-Link-Snipped-#. Unless your project involves building a GPS receiver, don't try to, it will be an expensive and complicated affair. You can purchase one of those modules and interface it with whatever it is your doing.
    thank you Muffy for your reply
    but i will make it by software(software defined GPS receiver)
    i.e. the hardware will be only the rf front end and the RF to IF mixer and the analog to digital converter; and the rest is done by software
    is that will be expensive too??
  • gohm
    gohm

I like that different approach. If you can, share more about your project. What effected your decision to go the software route? pros and cons? As already mentioned, the signals are there for your usage.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

Thats an interesting approach. Though, you will still find it difficult to get the same performance as a specialized GPS chip, since their receiver sensitivities are really high. I wouldn't be surprised if the costs of the hardware would be more expensive than getting a gps module itself at the moment. For sure, USRPs still cost hundreds of US dollars!

However, I do encourage you to look into this more. Perhaps there is a simpler hardware set up just to get the required GPS frequencies and a decent SNR performance.
  • omar abdalla
    omar abdalla

thanks for your replies gohm and ash
    but before i start, i want to be sure that this is applicable
    i mean is it legal to use GPS signal??
    and i will use isA an FPGA instead of USRP
    so is this is much more for a final year project?!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

What kind of FPGA are you going to use?

Yes, you can use the GPS signal legally and freely, as long as your hardware setup is only set to receive signals.
  • omar abdalla
    omar abdalla

i didn't decide yet
    but i will try to find a cheap one 😀
    thank you for your reply ash
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

Alright, keep us updated on your progress. Keep in mind the amount of bandwidth your FPGA has to process the C/A code of the GPS. The modulation scheme states that it is around 1Mbps give or take, so your ADC will need to be this quick.

Hopefully this guide can help you along: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • omar abdalla
    omar abdalla

thank you ash so much for ur help 😀
    waiting for more information from this great site 😀
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    No problemo 😀 I have changed the title of this thread for more relevance to the topic.
  • 4d1
    4d1

omar abdalla
    thank you 4d1 for ur reply
    do you mean that it is free to use a GPS satellite to get my position??
    knowing that i will make the hardware, i won't buy a ready portable GPS!!
    There are two kind of GPS signals,
    C/A code: which is the civilian signals and given acuracy about 8-15m
    P code - which is military signal and only US military can use that, which is more accurate.
    There are high-end civilian receivers available, called dual-frequency receivers, which uses part of P-code, not the full signal, and gives higher accuracy than single frequency receivers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A square of paper is 8 by 8 inches. Section the square so that the sections can be reassembled into a rectangle of 65 in[sup]2[/sup], one more than 8x8 in[sup]2[/sup]....
Hi guys, I am a a beginner in java & i have developed a chat application using socket & serversocket.I want to extend it to the internet.Please help..... Thanks in...
for example how can one know the OD,bore thickness by just looking at the bearing no. like 6001.
Purchase of US-based Telogy’s European operations will extend and consolidate customer choice and service Microlease today announced its acquisition of the European operations of its major US competitor, Telogy Inc....
I am food technologist and am searching for a job which belives in the hard core calculations for the production tasks like machine rates , human rates etc. Please contact...