Social Networking Sites Killing Email - True or False?

According to the latest buzz in the tech world news, Emails don't seem to have a great future.
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg raised many eyebrows when he declared the death of emails last month. But it seems the young entrepreneur was right.

Statistics from market researchers comScore have revealed that millions of Britons led by the under-25s are ditching the cumbersome tool for social networking sites.
The three most popular services in the Yahoo! Mail, Gmail and Hotmail have seen a consistent fall in the number of people visiting their sites.

Do you still favor emails? Shoot thy opinion. ๐Ÿ˜‰

โ€‹

Replies

• makru921
    makru921
    For me,
    Emails in office - Inevitable
    Forward emails - Very rarely, if there is some important message
    Personal emails (between friends & family) - Almost none.

Just realised that FB is replacing the tradition of e-mails....
  • YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    Ya I would have to agree. Emails seem to be more of an impersonal office tool these days.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My best estimate is that it will take about 5-8 years for emails to become a thing of past. Social networks offer a centralized place for all your needs - sharing photos, videos, checking out who's doing what and so on. I personally want to experience telepathy in my lifetime ๐Ÿ˜ . Holy kaw! I found a new debate topic ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • kaizokonpaku
    kaizokonpaku
    I think its true but I prefer email when sending and receiving important files.
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    Although I hate to admit it, but I too think that in a few years emails will be outdated. Social networking sites provide everybody with (almost) everything.

Emails will just be used for official work is what I think.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    I use emails for official use only, when I have to keep records. Otherwise text messages and SNS solve my purpose...
    I think you are right AKD...
  • jaywalker
    jaywalker
    neva social networking sites gonna affect email tradition until people are personal with some details abu their life.. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think social networks may increase but that cant disturb email
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Well to some extent e-mail is cumbersome but for transferring important files it is still used extensively. But for all informal communication the social networking sites more than suffice.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    In my opinion trend now towards social networking sites but email has its own importance and we can't neglect it.
  • scottaleger
    scottaleger
    Yes This is true , but it is not properly .................. some works are as where we can use only E-mail
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    To an extent the formal email system is being revamped by the Social Networking messages thing! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    I have got to know that Facebook is also providing its email Id: @Facebook.com,
    #-Link-Snipped-#,@Praveen-Kumar,@Sada,@The_Big_K, has any one tried this feature?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# , I login to facebook only when the facebook login on CE does not work. I'm not a fan of Social Networking; sorry. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# , I login to facebook only when the facebook login on CE does not work. I'm not a fan of Social Networking; sorry. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I never remember my FB password and rarely get on to it. I must confess that I still use hand written snail mail, mostly by courier but occasionally through Indian Posts even.

I do not like FB much. I am sure it is useful or a time waster. I use FB only when I have to. Otherwise I avoid it like I avoid the TV.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    bioramani
    I
    I do not like FB much. I am sure it is useful or a time waster. I use FB only when I have to. Otherwise I avoid it like I avoid the TV.
    If only I can develop that habit of avoiding TV :-s.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Social networking kiling just those mail which means for fun and spreading message to bulk between friends.Otherwise mails are still a type of digital signature.
    Making sure that what you have communicated must been recieved by recipient.
    I subscribed all my bill as ebills.Even some store like Chroma is providing Ebill.
    Facbook is just fun thing, go there and have some fun with distance friends.
  • scottaleger
    scottaleger
    Yes I agree Social Networking Sites Killing Email
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not sure whether Social Networking will eventually kill email; but I'd love to continue to use it for at least 2 decades from now.
  • avii
    avii
    Email FTW !
  • greatcoder
    greatcoder
    Hello All,

Social Networking Sites cannot replace mails for sure.
    1) For most of us Social Networking sites are a place for fun and enjoyment. We go there to see update from from our friends etc.

2) Moreover emails are still an integral part of our life. Any important and formal/informal communication are all done through emails. Emails will always be perceived more seriously rather than facebook messages and orkut scraps. Recent researches have shown a declining trend towards Social Networking sites, People have started getting bored of it and facebook has merely just become a site where same pictures and same jokes are shared by many of our different friends.
    Facebook people are OBSESSED with LIKES on their IRRELEVANT Status UPDATES and there is race to get maximum likes on their profile photos, updates and Shared jokes.

3) Mails have their own fun embedded in them. When we write a mail and eagerly wait for someones reply, this is a great feeling of anxiety and eagerness, which social networking sites cannot provide.

Social Networking Sites are good just for fun and It can never ever Replace EMAILS.

Regards
  • greatcoder
    greatcoder
    greatcoder
    Hello All,

Social Networking Sites cannot replace mails for sure.
    1) For most of us Social Networking sites are a place for fun and enjoyment. We go there to see update from from our friends etc.

2) Moreover emails are still an integral part of our life. Any important and formal/informal communication are all done through emails. Emails will always be perceived more seriously rather than facebook messages and orkut scraps. Recent researches have shown a declining trend towards Social Networking sites, People have started getting bored of it and facebook has merely just become a site where same pictures and same jokes are shared by many of our different friends.
    Facebook people are OBSESSED with LIKES on their IRRELEVANT Status UPDATES and there is race to get maximum likes on their profile photos, updates and Shared jokes.

3) Mails have their own fun embedded in them. When we write a mail and eagerly wait for someones reply, this is a great feeling of anxiety and eagerness, which social networking sites cannot provide.

Social Networking Sites are good just for fun and It can never ever Replace EMAILS.

Regards
    Very well said Great Coder!!
    greatcoder
    Very well said Great Coder!!
    Self appreciation?
  • avii
    avii
    Isn't that Facebook is all about ?

Just difference is that, we like someone's posts / shares & they do that in return ๐Ÿ˜
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    greatcoder
    And sometimes your friends ignore you or don't talk to you because you didn't like / comment their status / photos / stupid updates. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe not much innovation has gone into emails. If I'm not wrong 90% of the email communication is just about updates; can email be looked at from an entirely new point of view? Say, email becomes a message board where the sender and recipient communicate live?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    Say, email becomes a message board where the sender and recipient communicate live?
    If the sender and recipient communicate live, would it not be like any other chat application?
    The_Big_K
    I believe not much innovation has gone into emails. If I'm not wrong 90% of the email communication is just about updates; can email be looked at from an entirely new point of view? Say, email becomes a message board where the sender and recipient communicate live?
    Official mails are emails! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I guess i am late to jump in. Yesterday my friend asked me for a file and i sent it to him using facebook message. Well, it was first time, but yeah i believe email are going to have problems with social networking sites.
    Pensu
    I guess i am late to jump in. Yesterday my friend asked me for a file and i sent it to him using facebook message. Well, it was first time, but yeah i believe email are going to have problems with social networking sites.
    Think about corporates sir! No Facebook! No GMail! Only their own crappy mail system! What do you say for this?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Praveen-Kumar
    Think about corporates sir! No Facebook! No GMail! Only their own crappy mail system! What do you say for this?
    Hmmm....May be corporates will decide to adopt with new system and will switch to social networks leaving behind their crappy mail system....๐Ÿ˜‰ Anyways, as u might notice start ups now a days also use mail service provided by gmail. Like our CE mail! It will take time, but i guess change will happen. I have worked with some companies and all of them preferred to communicate through Skype. They only used email to inform me when to meet them on Skype...๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think our 'Conversations' system can easily replace email! You can add recipients, leave a conversation; attach files and so on. What else do you need? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think our 'Conversations' system can easily replace email! You can add recipients, leave a conversation; attach files and so on. What else do you need? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The_Big_K
    Google Wave
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    How about this one?

427823_340597072655844_241806149201604_917589_292107654_n
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    It's true. I only use email in office for work now, neither see my friends use as personal emails.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the future belongs to voice communication. No one really likes to type! With mobiles taking over and 4G penetrating slowly; I can already imagine a day in future where people will not send emails. But only voice is not sufficient.

That leads me to Video; maybe the future belongs to video.

Wait!

Why can't we just start reading each other's brain waves?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Computer Networking Basics : Video Tutorials By thenewboston from YouTube [video=youtube;TVvEheZVwdg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvEheZVwdg[/video] [video=youtube;GyTLPl5t-0Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyTLPl5t-0Q&feature=channel[/video] [video=youtube;kfEDPQAYH4k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfEDPQAYH4k&feature=channel[/video]
What are the subjects in 4 yr. civil engineering course in India. I just only want to know if there is a difference on the subjects here in the Philippines
Program Details: Fundamentals of Robotics Types of robotics Uses of robots Anatomy of robots Introduction to autonomous robots and microcontrollers Why AVR Block Diagram of AVR C programming for AVR...
Program Details: Embedded C programming C Revision Compilation process Preprocessor directives Bit-wise operators AVR programming Microcontroller concepts Using programmers notepad & makefiles Ports - output functionality Ports - input functionality...
At ThinkLABS- HUB, Mumbai From 22 Jan 11 to 22 Jul 11. They are also providing Free Seminar on Career Opportunities in Embedded Systems and scholarship for this course. Batches...