SnowLinux 4 codenamed "Glacier" Review.

Recently, A Debian 7.0 based distribution with MATE environment forked with GNOME 2 - SnowLinux 4 "Glacier" was released.

SnowLinux is very fast, Light & highly customizable distro.
The UI is also quite awesome & attractive. I would say this distro is best choice for Windows user trying to move in Linux.
Some new users may find this Wheezy based distro a "Light-speed" OS.Seriously, No kidding.

SnowLinux Glacier comes with Linux Kernel 3.5.0-10 generic. Here's the .conf file of kernel :

kernelsnowlinux

& with GCC 4.7.2

snowlinuxgcc

New MATE Environment 1.4 forked with GNOME 2 makes GUI of this distro quite fantastic.

mainsnowlinux

SnowLinux includes some inbuilt Applications like :
Firefox 17
Rhythmbox
Thunderbird 17
Java JDK
Synaptic manager
& LibreOffice 3.5.4.2

Installation is as same as Ubuntu Distros.

Overall very fast due to less consumption of the resource hardly consumes 2% of CPU & 145 MB RAM to load the OS.If your system is old with less resources & you're looking for something fast, attractive & reliable distro for your old-school desktop then this distro is fullstop of your search.

👍

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    Wow! It does look great. Specially the GNOME 2 based GUI part.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Wow! It does look great. Specially the GNOME 2 based GUI part.
    I just love Gnome 2 fork,it looks awesome.Plus it has gtk3 support !

I love official Unity & Gnome developer's work & I believe both environment has improved a lot.

But I love classic desktop layouts more than new layouts.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Me too. Though I am little biased towards unity, but looking at this I guess its time to go for GNOME 2!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Me too. Though I am little biased towards unity, but looking at this I guess its time to go for GNOME 2!
    You are kidding,right ?
    I am having trouble in getting use to Unity Lens.Desktop interface of Unity is flawless but once you enter lens - I find it very slow & messy.

Unity is being recoded with QT5 creator,I hope this will bring some good changes in 14.04

I have tried a lot to move away from GNOME by using Xfce,KDE,Cinnamon & even Mate.But,somehow I tend to get back to GNOME.
    Seems like I am stucked with Gnome.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Haha....yeah, unity lens is a little slower, but its quite useful too. I mean, you get everything at one place with just one press of a button. Though, I do hope that they will improve the performance of lens in 14.04.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Qosina is an OEM vendor for medical plastic components. They have put out a complimentary vernier calipers app for Apple and Android that allows precise measurements to be made using...
One video is doing rounds on the Internet in which Mark Zuckerberg (Founder of Facebook) and Bill Gates (founder of Microsoft) among other people advice that everyone should learn to...
How to connect with wifi and how to be transfer data through it. plz help me......
😕 well..this thing was bothering me..can't a telescope be used to produce steam? i mean.. am not sure of the power and stuff they have. but they are known to...
hai this is arun . can any one tell me what is the use of wireless tool kit........................................................................................................................................................