Snake Robot To Survey Nuclear Power Plants

Snake robots aren't new to the world, but the engineers are finding out newer ways to exploit the capabilities of these robots. The snake robot developed by Carnegie Mellon University's Biorobotics Lab aims to survey the nuclear plants - by going into the places humans can't. After the Fukushima incident, several snake and explorer robots were designed. But this robot is special. It's got a camera and an array of LED lights to give the clear video stream of what the robot sees. It can roll itself in the corkscrew pattern and quickly move into the places people can't.

snakerobot

The bot itself is just 5cm in diameter and about 97cm in length. It's got 16 joints which make it really flexible and move like a real snake. The only major restriction this robot has is that it's tethered by a power cord.

The presence of power cable limits the range the robot can explore. Looks like the battery capacity limitations have pushed the team discard an on-board battery with a connected power cable. Check out the video of robot in action.

Let's start exploring the ways this robot can be made to roam free without any restrictions. What say?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Attaching sensors for radiation leak is surely a good idea to implement in it's area of work

But don't you think the coil of wires it would use can make it really a least sorted option

If you have wired power and all other wireless TX in it I am not sure how effective it will be incase of heat surge which is accompanied every time there is a nuclear leak

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was browsing through Sony and Samsung websites and found that only the top range TV models are equipped with inbuilt Wi-Fi. There are a few TV sets which support...
NASA's engineering team has unveiled the design of the rover for Mars 2020 mission - which specifically aims at finding the signs of life on Mars. The design has been...
With Dropbox, everyone's storing all their files and photos on the cloud. The question everyone should ask is whether cloud is reliable or not? Because when you store your data...
Well If you have been CE cover page for a few days you would have seen so many innovations working at light speed The Japan-EU Fiber optic line Optical CD...
I used to (& still) watching very closely to development of the Ubuntu touch mail-listing & update since past few months & I gotta say that, there is just too...