Smart Windows Will Control Heat And Light To Suit Indoor Occupants

How do you like the idea of controlling the amount of heat and light passing through the window? Interesting, isn't it? Well, that's exactly what the researchers at the Cockrell School of Engineering at University of Texas have achieved. It's now possible to let the light pass through the window, minus the heat and also just let the heat pass through it, without light. It's just as incredible as it sounds. The researchers have developed a new material that helps us just do that.

About two years ago, professor of Chemical Engineering, Delia Milliron and her team were able to demonstrate this technique using dual band electrochromic materials. Using electricity, the nanocrystal material they developed would allow control of energy and light passing through it.

The team has now been able to achieve advancements in the electrochromic materials that allows a very selective warm mode and a cool mode; which wasn't possible earlier. In the cool mode, the material blocks the heat producing near-IR light (invisible) and lets the visible light pass through. This helps keep the temperature inside room a bit lower than outside temperature, helping save electricity.

smart-window-heat-light

The cool mode material has been demonstrated to control about 90% of the near infrared light and about 80% of the visible light. In addition, it only takes few minutes to switch between cool and warm mode; as compared to hours in earlier approach.

The concept of smart window includes a coat of the material to create 'warm mode' that blocks the visible light, but lets the near-IR light pass through. With application of electricity, the material coating can be made to select the amount of visible and near-IR light to pass through, achieving optimal lighting and temperature conditions for the indoor occupants.

Read more about the research on the official University of Texas blog. Also check out the technical details on the JACS source link mentioned below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• KSHITIJ MAINDARKAR
    KSHITIJ MAINDARKAR
    Nice.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am a third-year CS student. My final year project's field is Artificial Intelligence and all i do is JAVA(Android etc..). Now i have to choose a topic fast...
Everyone wishes there was a way to do that. Even though Android phones these days are available at incredibly cheap prices, there's always some defaulter you know who just won't...
It was days of April-2015,We were having semester examinations and also we were looking for an last vacation of our college life.Some of my friend had decided to go for...
We have a lot of programmers here, I thought of making a collection of the best books that one can use to learn database systems. The books I've referred during...
Just thinking how can we make Aladdin Flying Carpet. 😀 if we take a rectangle wooden/plastic board, wrap it with nice silk cloth put 4 small drones on all corners,...