Smart Launcher : Have Ubuntu Unity Experience On Android Phone.

'Smart launcher' is very attractive launcher for Android phones which will give you Ubuntu touch's Unity experience. Smart launcher is consuming very low amount of resources (around 7-8 MB for me) & delivers pretty good performance without any lag unlike other launchers. I still haven't found any such bug which can annoy anyone & make them stop using this awesome launcher.

User Interface :
The left side of the panel contains 'categories' mainly : Settings, Utility, Media, Games, Internet & Communications. The applications of the specific category resides in that specific section. However, you cannot add extra 'custom' section, if you want, that's bad IMO. Though you can move applications from one section to another just by simple push,drag & drop. (Check Images Below)

SC20131002-084729 SC20131002-095644

Themes :
There are varieties of Themes available for the launcher which you can install from playstore or within the launcher under 'preference' option which will link you to the Google play store. The installed themes can be used within the application & UI will be changes as per theme base.

SC20131002-085006

Additional Functions :
- Change the icon set : You can download packages from Google Play store & change the icon set as per your taste.
- Kill : You can kill the application within the launcher just by long pressing on application & hitting on 'Kill' button.
- Uninstall : Same as kill option, you can do same with Uninstall feature.
- Hide icon : No need to install extra app to hide your erotic applications, Smart launcher has this feature inbuilt.
- Main screen : You can add shortcuts to the application on the main screen of launcher either in circular look or aligned look.
- Change text color of clock & other text in entire UI. (Requires paid version)
- Add widgets on the main-screen of launcher (Requires paid version)

SC20131002-163958 SC20131002-085403 SC20131003-063236

Cons :
- Even in main home screen, you can drop the status greper. I didn't liked it.
- Even in paid version of launcher, very less text color changing option is available.
- No custom category option.

Overall : Very nice launcher, not a single bug that will go noticed, Low on resources, tonnes of themes & icon sets.
Must try. (Search for 'Smart Launcher' in Google playstore & try it)

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Amazing review man! ๐Ÿ˜€ Looks like a simple, easy-to-use, no-nonsense launcher to me.
    The way it organizes the whole menu into their type is seamless. It is almost like it isn't an Android any more.
    Improved widgets compatibility for eye in sky, google play, dashclock is worthwhile.

Thanks for this share!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I am kind of dumb with apps.

So this is a launcher which can be installed and all the icons and screens gets changed. Is this compatible with all versions of android ?

And I have one more dumb questions, it is stated that it uses very less resources, so actually what is the benefit we will get on using it? my understanding is it will be a add-on anyway?

Will the ripple effect work in S3? ๐Ÿ˜
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Thanks for the compliments ๐Ÿ˜€

@#-Link-Snipped-# Once you install this app, click on home button & select "Smart launcher". you'll get the user interface as shown in attached image in post.
    There are plenty themes available for downloads which you can download & it will some of the icons depending upon the theme you're currently using.
    Here 'some' refers to the icons which are on left panel & not installed applications.

To change icon image of installed applications, you've to download icon packages which can be easily available from Google Playstore.

Low resources means, it will consume less amount of RAM memory & thus it will not lag the Android.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    is it only the UI right? I did install the smart launcher and UI looks interesting,
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    durga
    is it only the UI right? I did install the smart launcher and UI looks interesting,
    Yup. It's mere an UI, but beautiful one ๐Ÿ˜€

If you own Nexus 7 or Nexus 4, wait for 17th October! Ubuntu Touch (Stable build) is finally releasing! #Excited.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    That sounds interesting, wont other phones support ubuntu unity? I mean not vene the rooted ones???
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    durga
    That sounds interesting, wont other phones support ubuntu unity? I mean not vene the rooted ones???
    Canonical will release stable build which will support Google Nexus 7, Google Nexus 4 & Galaxy nexus 4 out-of-box. All you've to do is connect nexus device with usb to Ubuntu desktop OS & follow the steps shown in official website & Ubuntu Touch will be installed. It's quite easy.

For other devices, it does support, but it is ported build by non-ubuntu developers, hence not stable. Some functions might not work at all. But for Nexus device, everything will work & can use Ubuntu touch as primary phone OS now. @#-Link-Snipped-# might be missing his Google Nexus 4.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've tried a few launchers on my Galaxy phone out of curiosity. The ones I tried ended up crashing after a few hours of use and some slowed down the phone like anything. I'm now happy with what Samsung provides out of the box.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've tried a few launchers on my Galaxy phone out of curiosity. The ones I tried ended up crashing after a few hours of use and some slowed down the phone like anything. I'm now happy with what Samsung provides out of the box.
    I don't like Samsung's Touhwiz launcher. So, I moved to AOSP Gingerbread ROM. Pure Android! ๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Since I came to know that most latest gnome applications are written in Vala, My urge of learning it has increased at it's peak. As far as I know, Vala...
Hello all, I just wanted to know wat is the use of MLDB Panel...and wat are the compaonents used in its design,i know its full form i.e. main lighting distribution...
Hey Guys, I wanted to tell something about CEoM contest. It is one unique thing I have ever seen which is started here on CE where the admin is actually...
This leviathan with eight numbers of 3 meter dia tyres may top Guinnes Records for dump trucks. https://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/02/worlds-largest-dump-truck-video/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: weblogsinc/autoblog (Autoblog) Admin: Adding Video To The Post:
Quote Five physics discoveries with the potential to transform the world have been selected by a leading science magazine for its 25th birthday issue. Quantum computing and science that could...