Small Talk with Mr. Bill Baker - The Chief Structural Engineer of Burj Dubai

CEans,

"Thinking big" is a passé now. You have to think mega. And when it comes to thinking mega, no body does like Mr. Baker!

Partner in charge of Structural and Civil Engineering for the Chicago and London offices of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP., Mr. Baker is the chief structural engineer of world's tallest building - the one and only Burj Dubai! At SOM, he leads the structural engineering studio to ensure that quality, innovation, material economy, and cost efficiency are customized to fit each project’s scope and needs. Mr. Baker is frequently invited to lecture on a variety of structural and civil engineering topics within the U.S. and abroad.

We are extremely proud and happy to have Mr. Baker on CE. Mr. Baker answered your questions.

Check out our #-Link-Snipped-#:-

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Its finally here! Some good insight about the Burj Dubai.

He told me that a structural engineer should design a structure so that the architect feels bad if he has to cover it up.
    haha, is that true?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Since Burj Dubai is an artitecture marvel,which structural limitations does you and your team faced,how you overcome them??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    Since Burj Dubai is an artitecture marvel,which structural limitations does you and your team faced,how you overcome them??
    Mr. Baker has already answered the questions. The small talk is live on CE Portal (click #-Link-Snipped-# )

We'll soon announce our "Ask questions to" thread to collect questions for another big personality related to engineering / entrepreneurship 😀 . Keep watch on announcements / articles discussions section.

That said, Mr. Baker has a message for all CEans - Work The Problem!

Inspires me!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I can recon the beautiful interiors of the mega structure in rich colour textures . A program was broadcasted in NAT. Burj Dubai can accommodate around 35,000 people and I guess has a helepad too..

The interesting part is the structure of the building which forms a cone .

Nice small talk biggie 😀
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    This is one of the coolest interviews in our series. Really nice one. "Work the problem" indeed is one of the best suggestions any one has given till date 😀
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Really an inspiring talk 😀.

We all CEans should start working the problems instead of only discussing them.😉

"Discuss the problem +lot of efforts of all CEans= Work the Problem =Great SUCCESS."
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and this is just a beginning!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, We have associated with Madras Institute Of Technology, Chennai (India) as media partner for Asymptote 2009. We'll now bring you the latest action from MIT Chennai Campus! Check out...
Discuss the announcement CE associates with MIT Chennai in this thread! 😀
Hi, I am BE IT student .. i want a good topic for paper presentation. I am interested in latest IT trendz and technology for to participate in PP competition....
I thought I'd post the stats for you to comment 😀 . I can't disclose the actual numbers ;-) but you can see our progress! Note: Following stats are produced...