Small scale software company

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you who have advice on starting a software company. I'm not going to start a huge company just me and a friend for and we will see where the business goes. My plan is to develop cool and inovative apps for iphones, ipods and of cource computers. We both have some experience with programming but no formal training.
Please help me with a couple questions.

1. Do develop applications what is a good language to learn and use?

2. How should we sell them? I am thinking of a website and selling ipod applications on itunes. If a website is the best choice how easy is it for our clients to download the programs, do we need a special web server?

Thanks, Josh

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Of course you should start, and start small. I guess question #1 can go to the CS/IT Engineering section.

Have you looked at #-Link-Snipped-# ?
  • engineer1
    engineer1
    Oh thanks. Yes I took a look at that. But the only problem is that you can only develop programs for the iphone/itouch if you have a mac computer. Which I don't have and I am not willing to buy one because I just bought a new laptop.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    engineer1
    But the only problem is that you can only develop programs for the iphone/itouch if you have a mac computer. Which I don't have and I am not willing to buy one because I just bought a new laptop.
    who told u that. if there's a problem then be sure there's a soln to it too else it wouldn't be a problem at all right ;-)

download VMware . its a virtual platform which u can install in ur windows. its free but u can buy a more supportive version too if u want.
    once VMware is installed u can install MAC os inside that and then start developing your app. thats the easiest way around.
    u can always google out for more but this wud be the easier i think.

and for ur 1st question. i think that if ur targetting apps for iphone and such then its better to fall in for java and .net.
    these are highly compatible and highly recommended for making apps cos of their high compatibility and stability with systems.

for ur 2nd question, for iphone apps , itunes is the best way. for best attention to other apps/wares , u can check Technorama Blog: Give away of the day or #-Link-Snipped-#. its the best way to get noticed to millions of people in one go.

there are many other such ways to get noticed but the main key is to make a good application that will make people come to u. 1st just think peacefully in ur mind that wat is it that U think should have been present but is lacking , be it an anti virus (making one would be difficult), cleaner tool or any other thing. ur attention should be on making something that is not present currently or filling a void that u can currently see in the system.
    next make up a website and start listing and selling ur products. for a website just subscribe to a webspace provider that will give u unlimited data space and bandwidth. u can try yahoo service for 2000 rs(just check) for a full year. thats quite cheap considering the service and brand that they are. u can look for other good ones too.
    if u want to try out then there are many free ones but with some or the other limitations.
    make sure u concentrate on a particular area of work initially and later u can diversify when u have more manpower and resources.
    hope it helps

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friends i am doing my final year mechanical engineering can any one help me how to design movement of bed for the multi slot mortise machine actually i need...
In one of the threads, we found out that CEans have different views on whether its OK to open blocked sites in college/office. I believe it can be a very...
Hello am new to this forum. Had joined it few months back but could not catch up because I didn't have an internet connection with me. Now that I have...
Looks like IE 6.0 does not have a good start this year. Google is withdrawing IE 6 support from two of its products, Google Docs & Sites. Do you still...
Sir, please send latest project topics in electronics.