Small Scale Energy harvesting - Future Low Power Sources

The old crystal radio set generated its own power. The bicycle dynamo harvests pedal power for the head light. The thermopile generates enough power for the control electronics from the wasted heat from the open gas flame. Decentralised low level power harvested from available sources may become more popular for small devices.
Here are some ideas:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Mathivanan_don
    Mathivanan_don
    But, if the transmitted signal is consumed by devices, then the signal becomes weak.
    Is it not?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The signal covers a band of frequencies. The harvesting is not confined to any one of them. Since the energy so harvested will any way degenerate to heat, it does not matter if a part of it is collected as energy. The basic problem is that the broadcasting is a spherical wave front because the user can be anywhere in the path.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    I guess there's similar thing used in modern generators. Since the generators are only like 60-70% efficient, they loose a lot of energy in form of heat. This heat is captured & supplied to the boiler chamber for heating the water in addition with the bio fuel.

Same goes for IC engines. We should think about certain method to convert that heat. Now we use radiators in car which pass the liquified gas to reduce the temperature of engine to certain limit. Instead of loosing this energy we can actually utilize it some way. I've thought about it, but due to lack of knowledge, it just stayed as an idea only.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

sir i am a final year ee student.i have been given a final year project on "monitoring of power theft and informing the substation if power theft occurs and breaking...
Many of us would have this question. Themes are found everywhere, but what about theming in our own websites? We have desktop themes, wordpress themes, even themes for our mobile...
This is the second part of Easy way of Theming in Web - The Layout (Part I/II). If you haven't read this, please check it out first and come back...
FoundataionDB is a new type of database system evolving that builds on the best of the NoSQL databases. The founders of FoundataionDB believe that they have a robust, infinitely scalable...
CMAI Association of India has announced India International Communications and Electronics Fair aka ICOMM 2012 to be held on 14 and 15 September 2012 at the NSIC grounds in New...