Skype & Google Hangout Are Illegal In India - Says BSNL (AP) Chief, V Srinivasan

All you Skype Users - turn off your video calls and conferences over Skype - because using Skype and other video calling services is 'illegal' in India, says BSNL (AP) Chief, V Srinivasan. The same applies to Google Hangout - the multi-person video chat service and other similar video calling services. The Union Government is likely to 're-examine' the legality of VoIP services that are operational in India.

The Indian Government is trying to bring Net telephony under the unified licence regime. That means the companies like Skype, Google and others will have to pay to the Government for offering their video calling services.

It's interesting to see how the Indian Government is trying to get their hands on everything called 'communication' these days. Earlier the Government took steps to ensure that nothing is said against the Government or the ministers over social networking websites like Skype or Twitter.

Do you think the Government should really consider Skype, Google Hangout and video/voice calling services in India as 'illegal' unless the companies offering these services free of cost 'pay' the Government some money (taxes)? Voice your opinion!

News Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Skype is not always free. The services which are free should remain free and government should not be interfering in it. But if Indian customers are making payments to Skype, even if in $ terms, they should be taxed
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looking forward to more comments. Speak up folks! This is important.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Thats nonsense! I am already paying for internet, right? Part of that goes to the government already. Now, how can they charge me for services I use on it? I think govt just want to control every mean of communication, and I guess they should stop trying. Its internet, if they stop one thing, another will be ready in no time!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    First of all can anyone convince me how can it be feasible 😲..
    Quote from the article:
    When cited the examples such as Google Hangout (which offers a free video-conferencing facility), BSNL (AP) Chief General Manager V Srinivasan, said the video calling services being offered by companies such as Skype were illegal and unlawful. “What we are offering is a legal service,😨 ” he said.
    I think it's just as idiotic as some of the politician just speak without thinking.

+1 for
    I am already paying for internet, right? Part of that goes to the government already. Now, how can they charge me for services I use on it?
    But if Indian customers are making payments to Skype, even if in $ terms, they should be taxed
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    Thank god he didnt say that chatting on social sites & posting something on forum is illegal in India

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yesterday,I took a long ride on my two Wheeler. Somethings aren't to my understanding, so thought of asking them here. 1) On a sloppy down road, my friend asked me...
Hi all, Please let me know how actually the level shifter works? using MOSFETs as a level shifter
Name:Sanchayita Sinha Engineering Trade:Information Technology BTech Location: Kolkata Occupation: Unemployed Hobbies & Interests: Aim in life: Software Developer I joined CrazyEngineers because: I can gain a whole lot of technical...
I am working on web base Augmented reality Application and I want to know about good open source Augmented reality webtool kit. Can i embed virtual reality + Augmented reality???if...
hi friends i am working in a private company as a draftsman. i need your supports cause. i am facing a lot of problems during the design of blower and...