SkyLock Is A New Solar Powered Lock To Keep Your Bicycle Safe Against Theft

If you are a regular bicycle rider, you will be familiar to the fact that your bicycle never remains safe in the basement or any parking lot ever. Velo Labs founders - Jack Al-kahwati and Gerardo Barroeta have brought a new smart solar-powered bike lock called 'SkyLock' that is loaded with awesome features to make your bicycle commute more safe and secure. The developers claim that SkyLock is the most robust mechanical lock available in the 21st century. It might look like a age-old u-lock but it is designed on the simple idea of a connected device that is based on a proprietary dual locking design.

The SkyLock is equipped with a theft alert system that can send a message to the user's phone (connected via Bluetooth or WiFi) when a third person touches the lock for an extended period. Users have to pair the SkyLock device with their smartphones. The device is also capable of determining when a rider has been in an accident, thanks to its embedded accelerometer. Moreover, if it is a severe impact accident, Skylock will also send a push notification to see if the rider is ok. If they fail to acknowledge the notification within a set number of seconds, Skylock will automatically determine that the rider is seriously hurt and alert emergency responders so they can come to help the rider ASAP.

If you thought that's all, the Skylock concept has more to it with a dedicated app that can arrange to lend out the bike to anyone in the user's trusted network or the Skylock community while keeping track of it via the app. This facility can usher in a new era for the biker's community across various cities across the world. Bicycle owners can lend their bikes based on prices relative to demand and location.

skylock-solar-powered-lock

Coming to the device's core, the Velo Labs feel proud to share that SkyLock is the first device to combine the power of solar panels and rechargeable battery system to virtually eliminate manual charging. The device's battery gets full charged in just one hour of sunlight and can last up to a month for average users. The solar panel is protected by a very strong UV-cured polycarbonate cover. The panel itself cannot be smashed per se. However, as long as the battery has some charge the lock will still work. You can still recharge it manually through USB.

Skylock is compatible with Android devices running Jelly Bean (4.3) or KitKat (4.4) versions and iPhone or iPad running iOS 7.0 or later. The company is taking preorders for the device at $159 and it will retail at $249. Check out a video explaining all the features hands-on -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Nice innovation , However I have few questions -
    What if my bike is in basement for a month, the battery will be discharged?
    The lock is connected via bluetooth or wi-fi , what if you will go out of its range? Will you still get the notifications?

For me the price of the lock($249) would be more then bicycle cost in many case 😁
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Rajni Jain
    Nice innovation , However I have few questions -
    What if my bike is in basement for a month, the battery will be discharged?
    The lock is connected via bluetooth or wi-fi , what if you will go out of its range? Will you still get the notifications?

For me the price of the lock($249) would be more then bicycle cost in many case 😁
    From the size of the lock I can say they must have used a bigger battery. If you are using Bluetooth then I can say you can run the device for more than 2-3 month for sure. Wi-Fi needs more power and lifetime of battery can be calculated based on real use only.

If they have implemented sleep mode very well then one month is very easy to achieve.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    But pricing haunts me!
    Its not for common people especially in India.It can be suitable for people using ultralightweight costly bicycles usually a adventurer or a sportsmen
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    But pricing haunts me!
    Its not for common people especially in India.It can be suitable for people using ultralightweight costly bicycles usually a adventurer or a sportsmen
    This is not designed to cover Indian market but it may be worth for US/Europe market. We may come-up with similar thing to cover Indian market 😉
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# If you are within Bluetooth range, than you can create an “electronic leash” to Skylock. Otherwise, the theft alert feature will be deactivated.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# If you are within Bluetooth range, than you can create an “electronic leash” to Skylock. Otherwise, the theft alert feature will be deactivated.
    If they are going to cover a lot market then they might add some feature in App if their App finds your bike then it will use that user's internet connection to update you about your bike's location.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Ankita Katdare
    Bluetooth range is very limited range,
    They should think something more innovative on that.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Rajni Jain
    Bluetooth range is very limited range,
    They should think something more innovative on that.
    As we want all our gadgets connected with our smart phone so at moment we are limited to Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. Use of RF transceiver can give us better range but for that smart phone need some revolution to support Sub GHz signals.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Ankita Katdare
    If you are a regular bicycle rider, you will be familiar to the fact that your bicycle never remains safe in the basement or any parking lot ever. Velo Labs founders - Jack Al-kahwati and Gerardo Barroeta have brought a new smart solar-powered bike lock called 'SkyLock' that is loaded with awesome features to make your bicycle commute more safe and secure. The developers claim that SkyLock is the most robust mechanical lock available in the 21st century. It might look like a age-old u-lock but it is designed on the simple idea of a connected device that is based on a proprietary dual locking design.

The SkyLock is equipped with a theft alert system that can send a message to the user's phone (connected via Bluetooth or WiFi) when a third person touches the lock for an extended period. Users have to pair the SkyLock device with their smartphones. The device is also capable of determining when a rider has been in an accident, thanks to its embedded accelerometer. Moreover, if it is a severe impact accident, Skylock will also send a push notification to see if the rider is ok. If they fail to acknowledge the notification within a set number of seconds, Skylock will automatically determine that the rider is seriously hurt and alert emergency responders so they can come to help the rider ASAP.

If you thought that's all, the Skylock concept has more to it with a dedicated app that can arrange to lend out the bike to anyone in the user's trusted network or the Skylock community while keeping track of it via the app. This facility can usher in a new era for the biker's community across various cities across the world. Bicycle owners can lend their bikes based on prices relative to demand and location.

skylock-solar-powered-lock

Coming to the device's core, the Velo Labs feel proud to share that SkyLock is the first device to combine the power of solar panels and rechargeable battery system to virtually eliminate manual charging. The device's battery gets full charged in just one hour of sunlight and can last up to a month for average users. The solar panel is protected by a very strong UV-cured polycarbonate cover. The panel itself cannot be smashed per se. However, as long as the battery has some charge the lock will still work. You can still recharge it manually through USB.

Skylock is compatible with Android devices running Jelly Bean (4.3) or KitKat (4.4) versions and iPhone or iPad running iOS 7.0 or later. The company is taking preorders for the device at $159 and it will retail at $249. Check out a video explaining all the features hands-on -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Why hasn't bike manufacturers (like Btwin - who happen to make accessories) thought about the collision detection system to be used in bicycles? This is to be a priority for people using bicycles as primary mode of transport (don't think of India). Sadly most roads in India (atleast in some cities) are too crowded or dangerous for cyclists. I wish this scenario would change.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to buy a new router. I was using a BSNL router but it is now not working properly. Internet connection is disconnected after every 10 minutes. I am...
I have seen a video about electronic Project, now days I am trying to implement on my final year project. Practically I face with some trouble... for example. Real project...
Founded by Vishal Devanath and Krishna Bharadwaj in February 2013, SMERGERS is a Bangalore-based startup that specializes in the online financial services market. An Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) focused...
BMW Motorcycles India has launched their all new sports bike - the BMW S1000R as promised in the country today. The ravishing new street-naked bike from BMW might have been...
how to generate a signal whose on time (initially 1ms) and increments by .1ms everytime we push a button.i.e frst push gives 1.1ms then 1.2ms and so on upto 2ms...