Simple Resignation Letter Format

During my tenure as a software engineer, I found many employees struggle to write that perfect resignation letter. Writing a simple, to-the-point resignation letter is an art. I think one must keep following things in mind while drafting it -
  • Have an appropriate title to your letter.
  • Make it very brief and to the point.
  • You don't want to burn the bridges.
  • Keep it professional and grammatically correct.
All the above points are equally important. If your seniors have no idea about your plan to resign, you're going to shock them (assuming you're a valuable resource to the project ๐Ÿ˜€ ). Here's one such resignation letter you can use as a template -

To: [Mark it to your immediate senior to whom you report]

CC: [Mark a copy to the HR]

Subject: Resignation from the post of [your designation]

Content:

Dear [FirstName] OR Dear Mr./Ms. [Lastname]

Please accept this email as my resignation from the post of [your designation] effective from [date]. This was not an easy decision to make. Past [duration] have been very rewarding. I enjoyed working for you and being a part of a [or managing a] very successful team. I do hope our paths cross again in the future.

Regards,

[Your Full Name & Employee Code]

You may add few more lines if you wish; however I'd advise you to save them for the further discussion with your manager and personnel from the Human Resources department.

I hope you will find this format useful. If you have questions, post them in the comments. I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This is the best format or what?! ๐Ÿ˜€
    I remember reading this three years back. A lot has changed ever since.

But people are still resigning from un-cool jobs to better alternatives. ๐Ÿ˜€

This one is as simple as possible. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I know this is a old thread , but one point to remember. Never CC your HR representative in your resignation email until and unless you dont want to discuss anything with your manager or you have very bad terms with your manager.

All send an email in the above format to your supervisor and CC your manager that will do.

Since, CC'ing HR will have good and bad, I know a person who did it , has to leave the organization even though he wanted to stay back.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Agree.
    First talk to your manage if possible and send mail to manager first.
    If no reply then forward to HR.
    May be the reason for which you are leaving he can fix it on that end only.
    Also,Best practice to talk to your manager first even before your colleagues knows about it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

AOL's building a new webmail product just like everyone else. The new mail will be launch on November 15th. Well, that's just a day ahead of Facebook launching its own...
Gone are the days when Indian software engineers only did low-end IT work, services and BPO work. The times are changing and I, the leading critic of Indian software industry,...
I'm often asked why I'm not running after VCs to raise funds for CrazyEngineers. Frankly speaking, CrazyEngineers is doing well and I've few weird plans for CE that I don't...
Nokia's N900 is a power packed mini computer for your pockets. The device powered by Nokia's new Linux based MAEMO software has superscalar ARM 600 MHz processor to handle all...
Micromax is one of the India's leading mobile phone producer and has recently forayed into the world of data cards for internet connectivity. Company has about 5 different data cards...