Should word 'The' Be Replaced By Symbol 'Ћ'?

If 'and' can be written as '&', why can't we replace the word 'the' with Ћ, asks Australian restauranteur, Paul Mathis. He's invented a new symbol to represent the most commonly used word in English language - 'the'! He says by adopting a symbol for the word, we'll save a lot of time. Mathis firmly believes in global adoption of the new symbol and has spent almost $75,000 AUD in developing it. Not many know this - but General Motors had issued a company wide directive to spell 'employee' as 'employe' (missing 'e') to save time and company ink.

Mathis has also crafted a range of Android Keyboards called 'THE Keyboard' which includes the new symbol. The keyboard also includes short-cuts to 14 most frequently used words in the English language.

My Take: Well well well! I've never thought someone would take productivity and cost saving so effectively. On one hand, the concept looks ridiculous; but some thought makes it look very logical. I'm not sure how easy the adoption would be, because I've already trained my fingers to type the word 'the' as quickly as possible. I think I can type it in less than a second already.

But if the 'the' needs to be shortened, Matias has already wasted lot of money. He should have turned to us Indians - who would have given him all the time, energy and ink saving techniques. I'm not sure if he already knows but we've already invented a new language that saves almost everything : time, money, wear & tear of keyboard keys, efforts and everything you can think of. We call it 'SMS' language.

y spnd so mch $ wen u cn typ lyk dis?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Why not 'ø'?
    Theta already exists.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    LOL 😁
    I don't understand that how can a symbol save the time ?
    Because : The new "Ћ" symbol if universally accepted, it will be on keyboard & like we have to use "Shift + 7" to type "&", it will be like "Shift + something", which wastes more time than typing "the".

And they spend 75 Grands on this ? #FacePalm
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I've already trained my fingers to type the word 'the' as quickly as possible.
    This reason is strong enough to kick "Ћ" symbol out. 😁
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well this will be rejected cos we have already a special purpose for that symbol

"Ћ"=h/(2*pi)

Where h=Planck's constant
    pi=3.14

It is called h Cross
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Whoa! People do think out of the box! Jokes apart, but I think we should at least honor the effort. Though the result is completely ridiculous and spending $75,000 is well, ridiculous again! Though the thing is we already have enough keys on keyboard and everybody is trained to type "the", and as abhishek put it introducing new symbol will only increase the effort instead of reducing it.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    He spent 75000$ just to reduce three letters of 'the' to a non english alphabet such as that symbol (sorry I don't have THE keyboard to type it here 😖). If he'd asked me, I'd have told him to use the letter 'd' instead.

Wt d fk dude? Dis s so fkng bonkers. I'd rader go shut maslf up dan go tru dis shit! D fk! - See how well it's been put to effective use!😡😒
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I dont think people love to start a sentence with a symbol.I personally dont like this idea.And we have to search for the shift key and the appropriate key for "the" as said by the fellow CEan
  • mail154
    mail154
    its just a waste of time. if time saving was the only objective, is he unaware of the habit of mentioning "the" as 'd'?
    "v hv typng dis 4 a vry long tym i thnk he dnt knw tat trnd. wt s ur tak on hm"? 😀 😁

while working for this he may typed a million the's 😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    mail154
    its just a waste of time. if time saving was the only objective, is he unaware of the habit of mentioning "the" as 'd'?
    "v hv typng dis 4 a vry long tym i thnk he dnt knw tat trnd. wt s ur tak on hm"? 😀 😁

while working for this he may typed a million the's 😀
    Well oldies never go along with the current trend setters do they

They either criticise or call us damn morons Let them do what they wish and we have lots to worry about than some stupid symbol
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I hate SMS lingo, I love some internet slang & short-form though.
    But, da for the, v for we : irritates me !
    I have seen some people typing 's' in reply & I don't understand whether they are saying "yes" or "Ass".

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung seems to be pushing the hardware to limits and the latest rumor about Galaxy Note III is that the phablet will have a whooping 3GB of memory (RAM). Korean...
I didn't knew, but just today CEan told me that in Tamilnadu, there is Anti-Hindi movement. 😲 I am a patriotic guy, I firmly believe that each & every Indian...
Just found this stip on Quora and couldn't stop myself from sharing it. It gives a correct representation of your life as an engineer, after you graduate and join the...
Here in Ahmedabad, I daily watch an old lady driving a small sized car, running with electricity. i have heard some of my friends discussing about it & they say...
Share your Handwriting ! 😉 Kaustubh Katdare​Abhishek Rawal ​anoopthefriend ​ianoop ​narayana murthy ​Pensu ​A.V.Ramani ​Sanyam Khurana ​rkvasan68 ​crazyboy ​Apurwa Thakur​