Should Wikipedia Have Ads To Sustain Itself?

Wikipedia is World's 5th most popular website and has over 400 million users. Running such a huge site is not an easy task and on the top of it, if it's not commercial, things can go worse any time.

Wikipedia runs on donations made by generous people all over the world. Whenever the site runs out of money, Mr. Jimmy Wales (founder of Wikipedia) makes an appeal to the world to donate to the site and people literally donate millions of dollars to the site.

Now, like any other web property, Wikipedia too can survive with the display of advertisements. But would you like it that way?

Would you be disappointed and if Wikipedia displayed relevant advertisements long with the content and even came up with a business model to pay to its editors?

Post your comments below.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I would definitely not mind if Wikipedia displays ads to sustain itself.
    It wouldn't make any big difference to me, and I would like Wikipedia to be in business.
    it's one of my most used websites..
  • think
    think
    i would not bother ads but certainly would hate pay models coz thats ultimately ruin some features for the end users like me who rely on freeware and open-source projects 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear Friends, I have lost my Quick Heal Total Security 2010 activation key.can anyone provide it.
Facebook launching its mail service which is also named as Gmail Killer What do you think facebook's mail service can really act as Gmail Killer or not?
Is there any auto downloader software available to download datas from fileserve, megaupload, mediafire, rapidshare, hotfile, cramit sites?
Digital River is a provider of e-commerce sites for software publishers and online retailers. And it has been recently in news that they are looking for setting up it's development...
Hi CEan ,I got to knew by some peoples who have attended CAT2010, and faced some wrong questions in paper,is it happened by any of CEan?