Should WhatsApp Be Scared Of Google Hangouts?

The Google IO keynote was amazing. I watched the whole keynote on live stream and was amazed at every new announcement. What made me jump was the release of Google Hangouts!

With rumours flying around Google developing a chat messaging service named Google Babel, they rather launched Hangouts, which is a chat service similar to Whatsapp but claims to have better features. This app was released as an update to the existing Google Talk, and after updating, people were pretty impressed. Hangouts has a chat service, video call, photo sharing, archiving conversations and deleting them.

Chat messaging was fine, but Hangouts includes video calls also. And not just with one person, but a hangout like on Google+. This would also be a concern to Viber which lets you do video calls from your phone. Below are some screenshots I have posted to show you the UI and design.

Screenshot_2013-05-20-03-10-38 Screenshot_2013-05-20-03-11-09 Screenshot_2013-05-20-03-12-03

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For Hangouts to work, people need to be signed into their Google accounts. I see that more people are signing into WhatsApp than Google Plus (at least in my contact list).

Maybe Google Hangouts should be scared of WhatsApp.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    We need not sign-up in WhatsApp.

It automatically finds you with your phone number (off course internet must be available).

Somehow I feel, at-times we are more comfortable in chatting rather than video call all the time. so WhatsApp has not danger with Google Hangout. Probably as biggi said, Google needs to think something for competition to WhatsApp.

-CB
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Also, BB is planning for releasing apps on iOS and Android. Now the competition is really heating up. Sad to say, but I see WhatsApp and viber losing the race.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Missing in Google hangouts:
    1. In chat YouTube play
    2. attachment of-course via Google drive.
    Surprising that Google didn't added following facility ☕
    1. Online indicator in phone
    2. Sort by online friends either on phone or desktop.
    I have used Hangout several times and it is best for group video call so far, No one can beat them. and new hangout is so far awesome.

BTW: #-Link-Snipped-# (dec-2012)
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    😕

Off-topic but worth sharing, One should know pros-cons of internet using:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

I heard in news that murder plotter thought sms can be traced but not the whats-up 😘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

An 18-year old girl named Eesha Khare from Saratoga,California has won a $50,000 prize at ISF (International Science Fair) for creating a device (with the help of nano-technology) which can...
For a research work i need HYMOS 4.0 software. Where to get it?Here, Anyone have this software ?
We used to have awesome CrazyEngineers t-shirts. It's time that we gauge a general interest in buying CrazyEngineers t-shirts. There aren't trustworthy custom t-shirt printing services that'd require no 'minimum'...
We successfully ran CEan Of The Month award for a few years before giving it a halt a few months ago. We even had sponsors like Quick Heal to back...
So, picking up a call from an over-sized tablet-phone doesn't really seem likely to appeal to you, but having that voice-call making facility isn't really undesirable, is it? At first,...