Should There Be Legal Age Limit To Drinking / Alcohol Consumption?

Usually, a human over 18 years of age is considered as an 'adult'; meaning he/she is sensible enough to take the decisions on their own based on their conscience & intelligence. Recently, there was an uproar amongst the Indian youth upon the new drinking age limit setup by the Government, raising to 25.

Many youngsters were annoyed by this decision of the Indian Government; and the Times Of India launched a campaign: Times Campaign: It's My Life - The Times of India that prominently sent out the message "Treat Your Adults With Respect".

Do you believe, that there should be a legal age limit to drinking?

Replies

• 4_Tech
    4_Tech
    saw a good video once...seems a good thread to share...do watch...
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K
    Who cares the age actually while selling/buying/drinking? Lots of judgements, lots of amendments and tons of G.Os. They were just limited to papers these days. Only in typical situations they would be used. Am I wrong?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Yes, but how can people track that the ones less than 18 doesn't buy one? Too tough!
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    The_Big_K
    Of course , there has to be a legal age limit to drinking . Else we will have 8-year old and 10-year old kids starting to drink .
    Why don't we allow children to vote and do other things ? For the same reason children shouldn't be allowed to drink by law.

But I would raise another issue. And that has to do with definition of "adult" . On what basis is it decided that 18 years has to be the point after which a person has to be marked as an adult ? It has to do with attaining of physical maturity on an average . But does physical maturity mean intellectual maturity ? I highly doubt this.

I feel this whole concept of 18 years to be able to do everything is just too big a burden on the poor number.

For some things such as driving vehicles it seems valid as a person attains "physical" maturity by that age. But for things such as marriage , voting , drinking I believe a more mature age has to be 21.

I say this because these decision making processes need intellectual maturity and which can properly occur only after a person completes graduation on an average.

At the age of 18 most students enter college life and majority of them get into the habit of drinking purely on peer pressure. Given an uncluttered mind not many would go for drinking. If they are of an age where they have finished college they are in better position to decide whether drinking is good for them or not.
    Hence I would root for 21 as a valid age for drinking. 25 seems a bit too older.

Of course everyone is concerned about rights these days and not so much about duties. Hence no one will agree for different age limits for different things. And so we are stuck with the number 18 as being the sign of adulthood.

P.S :- Our country has one added problem. That of corruption and low ethics. Whatever age is fixed people will break the laws and bribe the authorities. Hence 25 years is too high an age. As it will induce more people to break the law. It seems open invitation for corruption.

P.P.S :- I personally don't think drinking is a good idea so I am not with the youth who think drinking is a good idea. My stance is do what you want, just don't include me in this. Of course , forcing things on people is not the way to educate them . But I would like to see a society in which drinking is nearly absent. And I would like the people to do so by their own free will. As that effect would be more permanent.
    I agree with what the Bawa guy in the video says with regards to ill effects of drinking.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Instead of setting age limits on stuff; the Government should see that alcohol is eliminated from the society.
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    The_Big_K
    Instead of setting age limits on stuff; the Government should see that alcohol is eliminated from the society.
    And from where will we get our excise duty will be the honest (but not admitted in public) reply of the Government.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K
    That would never happen, in fact our ministers don't let it happen.
    Recently ACB has done a great job here. They have raided almost in all the syndicate liquor shops and they were shocked by seeing their records.

They have very clearly written like this -
    80K bribe given to ---
    70K given to ---
    40K given to ---
    --
    --

It was a great help to ACB to prove those ministers, but don't know how much they will succeed.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    I think government wont eliminate, because it gives huge revenue to our government.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aarthivg
    I think government wont eliminate, because it gives huge revenue to our government.
    It can. But it's more about the 'personal' revenues of the corrupt politicians.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    It can. But it's more about the 'personal' revenues of the corrupt politicians.
    right, the present scenario is that those corrupted politicians are in this government only.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Consuming alcohol is not good for health irrespective of the age.Why should there be legal age limit? Instead Government should take steps to ban consuming liquor.
  • im_Aswath
    im_Aswath
    Lets be practical , with population over billions there is no way alcohol is going to be completely eliminated from our country. Even if politicians bring in laws to eliminate it , there are going to be number of pirated stuffs coming inside country.

I would prefer 21 as legal age limit.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    im_Aswath
    Lets be practical , with population over billions there is no way alcohol is going to be completely eliminated from our country. Even if politicians bring in laws to eliminate it , there are going to be number of pirated stuffs coming inside country.

I would prefer 21 as legal age limit.
    Just shut down the big alcohol makers with a law! It's simple. Gujrat, Nagaland & Mizoram have officially banned liquor. It's however interesting to note how effective is the law enforcement. Can someone from Gujrat comment on it?
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    The_Big_K
    Just shut down the big alcohol makers with a law! It's simple. Gujrat, Nagaland & Mizoram have officially banned liquor. It's however interesting to note how effective is the law enforcement. Can someone from Gujrat comment on it?
    I am not from Gujarat but from hearsay I can tell that Gujarat has lots of contraband liquor shops. And 2-3 years ago there were deaths by spurious liquor. So banning leads to illegal shops which give you no guarantee of the liquor.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Straight ban won't solve the problem. People need to be educated about it.
    In our grandparents' youth there was a minority of drinkers , now a days there is minority of non drinkers. That is the sad truth.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's true. I've stayed away from alcohol (100% abstinence) and that surprises my friends. The sad truth is that people can't be educated. Even the scholars smoke and drink even when they know it does no good.
  • im_Aswath
    im_Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Its not simple ๐Ÿ˜€ India has a well spread disease known as bribe . And we don't have a strong law .
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    The_Big_K
    That's true. I've stayed away from alcohol (100% abstinence) and that surprises my friends. The sad truth is that people can't be educated. Even the scholars smoke and drink even when they know it does no good.
    Same here. Although I admit to have consumed alcohol in the form of cough syrup - benadryll - on doctor's recommendation.๐Ÿ˜€
    And sometimes I have had rumcake. But I don't think it counts as 'drinking'.

My personal opinion is majority of youngsters begin to drink because of peer pressure , nothing else. Afterwards it becomes addictive . You know many of my school friends used to say they won't take up drinking which indicates that left to themselves many people won't drink. Only few of them stayed true to their word.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Praveen-Kumar
    Yes, but how can people track that the ones less than 18 doesn't buy one? Too tough!
    ask for ID proof.. not tough at all. No ID, no alcohol
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    circularsquare
    And from where will we get our excise duty will be the honest (but not admitted in public) reply of the Government.
    exacltly- Karnataka GOV had made it compulsory for all dining places to sell alchohol, i dont rememebr the exact number of bottles to be sold, but a fine has been imposed if specific number of beer bottles have not been sold.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    durga
    ask for ID proof.. not tough at all. No ID, no alcohol
    Similar thingy happened long time before when people started browsing internet, only those with a valid government proofs were allowed! Now, anyone, even a child can come in and play farmville! ๐Ÿ˜› So, do you think this would work out, and most of the 7@5M@C stuffs are illegally run by you-know-who! ๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HEY GUYS..!!! i just want to know the difference between A DRIVE TRAIN & AN AUTOMOBILE. Does any body have a clear idea about that..!!!๐Ÿ˜’
Why are MNCs and startups asking for candidate PAN card details even before they interview the candidate? Is it legally required to share PAN card with them?
Network devices till now have been very loclised to the fucntionalities they perform. for example the L2 devices are called switches(MAC address) , L3 devices are called routers (IP routing),...
Duofete 12 is a National Level Technical Symposium organized by Panimalar Engineering College, Chennai. This symposium focuses on imparting technical understanding and expert knowledge to offer everything to conquer your...
this is an excerpt from one of the sites wherein it emphasizes about the depth and usage of instrumentation in the industrial field... ...Trace the roots of all significant automation...