CrazyEngineers
  • The idea of this debate topic originates from current politics in Delhi. The AAP (Aam Aadmi Party) says that they'll go to the people for every decision to be taken. I believe they're referring to every 'major' decision to be taken (viz. should they form government or not). While the approach looks perfect on the first sight; I think there are two sides of the coin that we must look at:

- It's Good: because then people will be directly involved in the entire decision making process. People will be made aware of what the government is doing and it will certainly help in curbing the corruption that's rampant in Indian society.

- It's not Good: because it puts the onus of taking decision back on people. If people have elected their representatives and have trusted them for governance & decision making; why should they be bothered? Plus, the majority of the people many not always be 'correct' in determining what's better for the society. History has witnessed that major changes have happened when a leader rose to heights to show people the direction which was often thought not effective/useful by majority of the people. In short - individual people may not have all the ability or knowledge to take a well informed decision.

Do you think the government should take a referendum for every big decision?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Pensu

MemberDec 19, 2013

I don't think it's a good idea. As you already stated the reason, it's not necessary that the majority of people is always right. And the opinion of crowd can be misleading, in fact, it could be just an illusion. Plus, people have already selected their representatives, now it's up to them to take decisions. Another thing, there are a lot of flaws in the process. Making governance related decisions through SMSes is a little unsettling idea! (This was actually an ad for 'idea'! )

I guess Aam Aadmi Party are confused and they are acting like noobs, which is acceptable as they are new. But I guess they are making a wrong move with this approach.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • lovebox

MemberDec 19, 2013

I think the entire purpose of representative democracy is to allow people to choose such representatives who can take decisions on their behalf. The Utopian concept of people directly participating in the day to day functioning of the country is not feasible. Not everyone possesses the skills or knowledge to understand and take an informed stand on the myriad issues.
    Cancel
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran

MemberDec 20, 2013

AAP is wasting the time and they had not clearly said the parts on alliance and extending time- waste of time of people and party.
    Cancel
  • Sahithi Pallavi

MemberDec 23, 2013

Ours is Indirect democracy where the people are not involved directly in the decision making process and they take decision through their elected representatives. In a country of multi diversity with huge territory and population where lot of people are illiterates and most of the people are functionally illiterates, I don't think decision making through referendum would ensure effective results.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register