Should The Act Of Copying The Copyrighted Materials Should Be Legal ?

Whenever we buy a transportation vehicle, let's say a Bicycle; we are free to do anything with : customize it, remove the parts you dont like, add the part you want to, add vinyls & make it beautiful. I mean to say is that you're free to do whatever you want without being worried about being sued or getting in jail for doing these stuffs.

While in Game disks, Music disks, Study materials ,etc. you can't copy your own contents even by spending good amount of money. Sometimes you wanna gift xyz game,songs,movie to your friends,siblings,fiance & you want to keep one copy for yourself too. Why spending double money for same source ?
Sometimes you want to backup the source so that if the disk gets scratched a lot you have the backup of your game & you won't lose your data.

There are many cases noted where the sales rate is scaled up x tens times, just because of copying & sharing the datas.
Dont you think that restriction over copying your own product which you have bought with your money is not fair ?
Do you think copying the digital media should be legalized ?

Share your opinions, CEans.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you are allowed to copy any stuff, there's no point in copyrighting it in first place except keeping some official record of who produced/created the stuff first.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    In the case of bicycles, we're not commercializing the modifications, and even if we do, the designer has nothing to loose as the company has already paid him for his efforts and the company will sell more products because more people will be interested to buy those and customize it just like the other customization they have seen. This was the driving force for me to buy my Honda Dio scooter.

However, in case of digital media, the copyright protection should be enabled until the company or the person how has made an effort on it, gets paid for his hardwork. This is the case in almost all the movies that come as online versions. There are some movies which are still copyrighted even after they've made profits, but people always find ways to download and share them. Nothing on display is safe on the internet and in case of publishing, you can always enable licenses to selected partners. The movies CD rights are often bought at huge bids by companies when they put it up for bids. These companies are often affected due to copyrighting. I don't think anybody will pay for music tracks although there are measures you can take to reduce piracy. The concept of keeping discs in your shelf has long changed in the last 5 years. I think most of us here don't use original OS either.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Ok lets start from your example itself.Customising the bicycle dont stand as a block for the creator or manufacturer in financial way.But in case of digital media the business mode is different.Definitely it will be a hinderance to business.
    As many CEans say, whether legalised or not many are going to get it from torrent or likewise.
    Surely i consider your idea on backup of games or softwares.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you are a developer or a designer or just out of school programmer, Yahoo! India R&D is bringing the event of the year for you. A subsidiary of American...
In India, or elsewhere - finding a job isn't that easy - I agree! But being unemployed for even after one year from passing out of your college? - Is...
Motorola along with working on customizable Moto X, on the other end hideously working on the another cool Android gadget, Motorola Droid Maxx . Eveleaks in the tweet has leaked...
how many motors are present in a car
Is it possible to run a piece of code inputted by user?? Say in a c# program a user is asked to enter another c# code and we store that...