Should "School Uniform" be banned?

There are different opinion among countries regarding the school uniform. For example, Countries like japan,south African countries follows school uniform. On the other hand, Some schools in U.K have got rid of school uniform.

With such different rules in different countries, It is important to think, Whether school uniform are necessary or not?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    'School' is a word used in different context in different countries. For example, in US 'school' might just refer to a college / University. aka 'Harvard School Of Business'.
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    Uniforms were introduced to give EQUALITY among kids .. some might be from poor family .. some Middle class .. & some high class ... Ofcourse high class peeps gonna wear attractive clothes compared to poor .. this will turn into Discrimination among them .... Its our duty to teach 'em EQUALITY from very beginning of their life.

Plus, Kids are highly influenced by Media now-a-days .. they wanna dress up like Justin beiber .. girls wanna look cute like Selena gomez & list goes on ... so in this case they will start imitating 'em & will start wearing fancy dresses with some bling bling wrapped around their neck. This is not FASHION HUB !! This is School ; where it is dang necessary to teach 'em discipline & manners of what to wear where.

Just my Point Of View 😀
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Everyone has the right to "freedom of opinion and expression". Is children freedom of expression is restricted by school uniform?
    Because children who have to wear the same clothing as every other child in their school are not able to express their individuality and creativity.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    aarthivg
    Everyone has the right to "freedom of opinion and expression". Is children freedom of expression is restricted by school uniform?
    Because children who have to wear the same clothing as every other child in their school are not able to express their individuality and creativity.
    Training given right from childhood is really good. This will lead to better individuals in a job scenario. "Expressing oneself" is an over-rated term these days. Each person has his/her own way of creating attention. This will cause a lot of problems in discipline and code of conduct. If there were no school uniforms, we'd get to see a lot of Justin Biebers, Michael Jacksons, Batistas, Hanna Montanas, Pinks, etc in the school campus.

A simple example: In my college, there was no strict restriction to dress code. For guys it was Shirt and Pants, and girls would wear the salwar. Guys would come to college with thick beard, without tucking-in their shirts which were mostly printed and had double pockets, wearing chains, with low-waist pants and bathroom slippers. Each person would have his own identity. Then during our 3rd year, the H.O.D. changed. This new guy created revolution in our college. And from then on, we were forced to wear the protocol of a white collar office guy with full sleeves, clean shaved and leather shoes. Eventually after a lot of punishments, most of us got disciplined by force. So you see, a uniform protocol is always better.

Uniforms shouldn't stop anyone from expressing his/her own individuality/creativity. People always try to find alternatives or loopholes. In my personal point of view, uniforms are meant to train you to better your personality (which you can also try and change otherwise). It is just the basis for getting into a good job (most HRs like a good dress code). But, well, if you are as smart as Mark Zuckerburg, you can do just what you like! (Have you seen how he attends interview?)
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Whatever we learn at childhood, we learn very easily, and also thoroughly.. And equality, ie., the ability to view every other human to be his/her equal, is something everyone should learn and follow. Uniforms in school is the first step in teaching equality. I feel uniforms are very much needed in schools.

And about this freedom of expression, kids usually don't know what they want. So, whatever the kids' dress would express will usually be the expression of the parents, not that of the kids themselves. At least that will be the case until high school.

Doing away with uniforms may also cause some other problems like groupings in schools. Well-to-do kids will stick with other well-off kids, and the not-so-well-off kids might be forced to group together. Friendships might become materialistic very early on.. That is the last thing we would want kids to do.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I would agree with you #-Link-Snipped-# The uniforms also remove discrimination in terms of wealth distribution.

In Asian continent the wealth distribution is adversely shifted so uniforms in a way inculcate oneness among all the students of a particular school irrespective of the economic back ground.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    [​IMG]

At least in some places poor children avoid school because they cannot afford unifoms
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    [​IMG]

In UK statistics seem to show that school uniforms does not improve grades.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    [​IMG]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just confirms my belief that cloths don't tell the whole story. Unfortunately people tend to judge people from their clothes.
  • ashwin sarangula
    ashwin sarangula
    it is true. but its more complicated to adopt such thoughts in our mind rather than to post it. is n't it?😀
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    in one way, it should be banned. Because, kids from poor families cant afford it.
    But, thinking in other way, it brings unity between kids. Kids feel that they all are equal.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    The school I was planning to put my son in Mumbai had Jeans and T shirt as a uniform (and track suit on Friday). I think school uniform is necessary for uniformity (which is why it is called a uniform I guess).

But a serious thought is needed on making the dresses more fashionable and exciting.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

friends any body is there from 2012 gate crackers who can help me to choose a coaching institute .. I am planning for GATE 2013 so please help me in...
Hello... I want to join and share your golden team as one member .......😀
The Shrad is London's tallest standing building inaugurated on July 5. The building is in the shape of a pyramid and hosts a total of 95 floors; with 75 being...
I've observed a lot of students use 'Sir' in their conversations with anyone senior to them. For example, during interviews it's very common to find a candidate saying "Good morning...
For the start-up companies, hiring is a perpetual problem. On one hand start-up companies need exceptional engineers to work on the products and turn the ideas into reality. On the...