Should people be made to pay for the news?

In most recent announcements from media baron, Mr. Rupert Murdoch confirmed that News Corp will be deindexing their sites from Google and other search engines. Murdoch thinks that people should pay for the news from various sources and as a first step, they will be deindexing their websites from Google and other search engines.

While this might sound like an odd step to most of us, Murdoch is aiming to save the media industry. Murdoch says that in future all the newspapers will die and instead, devices like Kindle or eTablets will be used to deliver the news content. People will be charged somewhere between $15 - $20 per month to pay for the news from various sources.

The charges can be reduced with the help of advertisements of course. What do you think about having to pay for the news items?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    it is justified as long as the price is minimum, there are people working for news agencies hence need payments . kindle is not a regualr phenomenon as of now, so it might take some time . We do pay for news channels right on television, so it is quite justified why some one should apy for online content else. no longer before TV dies too.

i guess they are trying to bring the convectional media and the internet on par to each other, rather than giving internet the whole benefit and killing other forms of media.
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I think Yes , people should be made to pay for the news.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We all pay for the news already, right?

TV: Pay the cable bills.
    Newspaper: Monthly bill.
    Radio: Hmm. Electricity Bill? 😛
    Internet: ISP Bill 😛
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Only Microsoft Bing will have most of news agencies, not that news will be for money, it's just not-letting-Google-index-you, the agreement Microsoft made with most of the major News agencies in Europe, I read that somewhere before.

I don't understand the word 'future' Mr Murdoch saying, if he means the relatively short-term future before 2012, I don't think newspapers will die that fast, 2012 and above I don't think he has to bother 😛
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I wouldn't mind paying for news, as long as the rates aren't too high 😀

There will be convergence of technologies eventually. Might as well be prepared for it.

@ MaRo
    Sorry to hear Egypt didn't qualify for the World Cup!
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    @Ash : I'm not sorry at all, this is much better for me, I've been in the football nonsense noise for a month, don't know what would happen if Egypt qualified, it would be an infinite disturbing till the world cup..also I don't care unless I'm a TV channel, player or anyone who would get a real profit from all this nonsense 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

SugarSync Free Version: 1.7.3 File Size: 7706 License: Free Operating System: Windows XP,Windows Vista Install SugarSync Free on your computers, then on each PC tell it what files and folders...
The UID number will only provide identity: The UID number will only guarantee identity, not rights, benefits or entitlements. The UID will prove identity, not citizenship: All residents in the...
plz help me, m a ece student of 2nd yr n i wanna make a robo car which can win in races held in diff. institute during there respective tech...
CEans, TiE is hosting the “Enterprising India” summit in Mumbai from Dec 21-23, 2009. The summit is being co-hosted by Harsh Mariwala, Kishore Biyani, KV Kamath, Malvinder Singh, Narayana Murthy...
Hello all, I'm going to send analog signal by GSM modem, after using a PIC, then to receive it by another GSM modem, then display it on the computer, can...