SHOULD MERCY KILLING BE LEGALIZED?

Mercy killing is nothing but the practice of killing a person or animal,in a painless or minimally painful way, for merciful reasons,usually to end suffering of a patient before death. In wider sense it depicts assisting sufferers to commit sudden death rather than suffering from long,in particular physician-assisted suicide.

Should mercy killing be legalized?

Replies

• yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    I think its all upto patient ... After too much of spending money & treatments .. pain still prevails & death is certain ... its upto the sufferer/patient to decide if his life should be ended or not .
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    BetterThanBefore
    I think its all upto patient ... After too much of spending money & treatments .. pain still prevails & death is certain ... its upto the sufferer/patient to decide if his life should be ended or not .
    But mercy killing=murder
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    aarthivg
    But mercy killing=murder
    there is also a side of this coin...
    keeping patient alive against his/her will and let suffering for years even doctors know they are not going to be well.
    I think its more than killing.Its very subjective and i think should be left on patient decision (If cure is not possible)
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    if the patient is begging for it, then it should be granted to him/her , on humanitarian grounds.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Euthanasia!!

There are many subtle points to this, and it's no easy matter to come to a full conclusion regarding whether to fully allow it or not.

Just to start off, Euthanasia is generally classified as follows: voluntary, meaning the patient is aware of it and requests for it himself/herself; non-voluntary wherein the patient cannot provide a consent to euthanasia, because the patient is comatose or is a child or infant; and involuntary where the patient does provide consent. There is also another classification regarding whether it is passive or active euthanasia. Passive is when we stop giving food and the required medication which keeps the patient alive and going. Active is when a lethal substance is actively ingested into the patient.

Now, all forms of euthanasia are prohibited thoroughly in most parts of the world, as of now. Some forms, only some forms of it are legally allowed, in only 3 countries: Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg. There are too many subtle points to be discussed and debated before we can say if it is to be allowed completely or not. Some anti-euthanasia activists are afraid that allowing voluntary euthanasia will ultimately lead to the legalization of non-voluntary and even involuntary euthanasia. And then there is always the possibility of misuse or inappropriate use of this. Not an easy decision at all..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a mechanical engineering student and i would like get some final year project ideas from other mechanical engineering students or mechanical engineer.
this is Prem kumar ..... iam intrested in new electonics projects... if u wish, please send me some new project ideas....
This Thread Builds awareness for students to decide how much they have need to do PG and select Area(Specialization) for their PG... EC Guys Welcome as am from Electronics background......
So, what method do you use frequently to shutdown your computer?​I guess it would be clicking on shutdown button via going through Start button (more often).​Here I am sharing few...
Hello CEans, I am MITALI SHUKLA, persuing B TECH in ELECTRONICS and COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING from Bharat Intitute of Technology, Meerut. I am a 3rd year student. It gives me pleasure...