Should mechanical engineers learn a foreign language?

How important it is for mechanical engineer that he/she should know foreign language?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    He should know Mechanical Engineering well first. The work will speak for itself.
    However, learning any new language improves one's creativity. Japanese or German by choice, in my opinion.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Since the major innovation in the world of mechanical engineering happens in countries like Germany and Japan, most people recommend learning their language.
    Next in line are - Korean, Chinese and any other European Language.

Most Indians are multi-lingual, they know they mother tongue, Hindi and possibly another one language if most people in their locality speak another language. Top that with English - mandatorily taught to all school kids.

Now comes the foreign language part aka language from another country. First of all, do understand that you'll be able to learn it if you feel 'curious' about it. It's not as easy as walking into a class and leaving with a certificate in 6 months.

Japanese/Chinese/Korean are pictographic languages. I am a learner of Japanese for more than 7-8 years. I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea. German is similar to English (because the script or alphabets are the same). You need to practice more on the phonetics and pronunciation and vocabulary.

First understand what it is that you are aiming for. No point in learning Chinese if you dont dream of going to the East for work or studies or something else.

As a mechanical engineer, as #-Link-Snipped-# said, you need to be sure about your technical expertise first. Then choose a career line. Align a foreign country that you hope to visit with that career and then go for full-fledged learning of that foreign language. All the best.

Feel free to ask further questions.
  • Sahil Badani
    Sahil Badani
    #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# sir,
    How would you rate French in this scheme of things? I ask this out of a personal affinity towards the language.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Why do you need a justification to learn French. Just learn it.
    Next to English, French is perhaps the most common second language the world over. Way back in 1954, when starting college I had a chance to take French as the second language. Regrettably I had to take Tamil, which I had not formally learnt till then though that was my mother tongue!
    It is a language for culture and Science and Technology.
    If you need any excuse look here:
    Reasons to Study French (Dept of Foreign Languages USA)
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Ten Plus Points for French
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# I'd suggest you to read this:
    Which is the best foreign language to learn for an engineer?

Since you are into Electrical Engineering, are you thinking of using the French language to make your way to France (in an electrical core company or for post-grad)? If so, needless to say, having a French certification is a definite resume booster. French as such is not known for engineering domain. German is specifically considered by mechanical engineers because of the country's state-of-the-art automobile technologies. I wouldn't stretch it and say that French engineering isn't a thing. The country has built a number of core engineering companies. Read: Category:engineering Companies Of France

However, if you are learning a foreign language to pursue a career in translation/interpretation, choosing a language that's closest your heart, your interests/hobbies is the best thing to do.

Since I have considerable experience learning a foreign language (Japanese), let me tell you that to be really 'serious' and being fluent in it - you will be studying a language for at least two years. To become fluent, you will have to immerse yourself in the language and begin to think in the language. You will also have to spend many hours listening to that language as it is spoken by others.

^ This requires commitment. A huge group would leave learning Japanese after the first couple of months in the institute I used to go to, because they couldn't get the hang of it and weren't very keen on the language's background, the culture etc.

Having said that, if you are learning it just for fun, a 3-month or 6-month thing that teaches you basic phrases, you can choose French or any other language without a second-thought.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This intuitive and useful app for civil engineers , mechanical engineers, architects ,students to design 2D beam , frames. App use in the calculation method finite elements. Structural Analysis 2D...
I am working in cts but not satisfied with my work.Is it worth studying in cdac and getting job?
InFocus has officially announced the launch of its new budget phone InFocus M260 in India. The company has been slowly gaining a strong foothold in the market. It now has...
Science fiction writers come up with theories that are years later turned into reality and one such theory is that of 'Tractor Beams' - a term coined by sci-fi author...