Should Low-Level Bribing Be Legalized?

Narayana Murthy - the Indian Tech Icon today spread sensation on the TV channels by saying that low-level bribing should be legalized. Murthy is backing up the idea presented by Government's Chief Economic Advisor, Kaushik Basu, who says that low-level bribing should be legalized. Note that what he's referring to is the Rs. 100 bribe people tend to give to the traffic-cop when he/she catches you for jumping the signal. His argument is that when a government official accepts Rs. 200 bribe to issue the birth certificate, the bribe giver has no incentive to report it to the anti-corruption officials.

Basu’s case is that by tilting the law in favour of the (involuntary) bribe giver, he (or she) will be more willing to report the bribe, thus making it difficult of the bribe-giver to wriggle out of the situation.

Do you think this makes sense? Do you think low level bribing should be legalized? Share your opinion. Do not forget to justify it 😀

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Basu’s case is that by tilting the law in favour of the (involuntary) bribe giver, he (or she) will be more willing to report the bribe, thus making it difficult of the bribe-giver to wriggle out of the situation.
    Idea is not clear.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I don't agree with Basu's idea but here's what he's trying to say. When the money involved in bribing is low; there's no incentive for the bribe giver (who might be forced to give a bribe) to report it to the authorities. Rs. 100 is a small amount. Check out various sources on the Internet that talk about Basu's stand.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been using iPad 2 for last few days and found out that the device is excellent -but typing with the virtual keyboard is real pain in the a$$. I...
Deus Ex Machina is a national level technical symposium event organized by Mechanical Engineering Events at the fest are: Nitro Car War-O-Race Angry Bots Machinist Esplorazione Contraption Paper Presentation Albatross...
Eco-friendly Energy for Everyone(EEE) 2011 is organised by Energy Conservation Mission, The Institution of Engineers (India)
 AP State Centre, Visvesvarya Bhavan, Khairatabad, Hyderabad 

Last date for registration: 5th August 2011 
hello sir im a final year ECE student. i want to d final yr project in company... can u pls guide me in which company v can undergo projects and...
how to delete account on crazy engineers ??? Please Reply.. Hope To see Responses.....