Should India Allow 51% FDI In Retail Sector?

Indian economy & politics is at a crucial point in history. Government of India has agreed to allow 51% Foreign Direct Investment aka FDI in the retail sector. The opposition has made it clear that they're going to resist this decision by the Indian Government. Those who aren't aware; FDI brings in capacity of the foreign investor to gain control in management, JVs, transfer of technology (questionable) etc. FDI also ensures that the investor gains control of the assets, land and in few cases, mines as well.

The Government claims that FDI will ensure a greater benefit to the farmers; which in my personal opinion is a big joke. In my opinion; Government is making a huge mistake (or is it deliberate?) by allowing FDI in retail. Instead of encouraging competition among Indian retailers; allowed FDI, in my opinion is suicide.

I wish to know what CEans think about the whole burning issue of FDI. Voice your opinion.

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Guess what? I am supporting FDI (Provided FDI is limited to foreign countries!). According to me, India does not need foreign direct investment. What it really needs is proper nurturing by Government.

For those who have seen news recently know what will be the bad impacts of FDI in India. Even China has placed stringent restriction on such type of Investment. Thailand has destroyed its retail market because it has allowed 100% FDI.

Is it beneficial to Farmers? I don't think so. You see that if we Indians even after so many years have not been able to benefit our own farmers. Will the foreigners do it?

I think that Farming is actually a very profitable business. People think that it is dependent on weather. It is not so. If farming has been a failed business, it is due to the unavailability of electricity, irrigation facilities, government's wrong minimum support prices etc.

To tell you the truth, do you know how minimum support price is fixed? It is dependent on the cost incurred. And how is this cost incurred fixed?

The labor done by farmer (who owns a farm) =INR 102.75 per day.
    Laborers employed by the farmer= INR.102.73 per day.

So how wrong that a master earns just 3 paisa more than the laborer?(ridiculous) On what basis are you establishing these figures and prices?

(The figures are true as per my knowledge in markets around Nagpur)

Only if we are able to fix our internal drawbacks, I don't think that we will ever require an FDI.

Here is what we can do.

1. The government can invest in our own infrastructure.
    2. Indian companies or Indian private players can come in farming sector and improve the farming infrastructure.

Are these suggestions that hard to implement?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    Guess what? I am supporting FDI (Provided FDI is limited to foreign countries!). According to me, India does not need foreign direct investment. What it really needs is proper nurturing by Government.
    Only if we are able to fix our internal drawbacks, I don't think that we will ever require an FDI.
    Your response is very confusing. FDI - which we are talking about is inward FDI by *foreign* companies 😨. Or are you referring to outward FDI? Are you supporting Indian government's decision or opposing it?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    oops sorry for confusion. I am trying to say FDI looks good outside India. We do not require it here. (In marathi- Durun Dongar Sazre!) 👍

To make it clear: I am opposing government's decision for 51% FDI in retail.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I won't say a big no for allowing 51% FDI in retail sector. Too early to say no to the new changes. I do not want to sound like a pessimistic still, do you think that we are doing wonders with our current policies??

For me, for an example in farming sector, at-least FDI will stop the benefits of middleman who take unnecessary advantage and eat the margins from the poor farmers. After allowing FDI in retail sector farmers may tend to get higher prices for their products by directly purchasing by these retailers. Since ages middlemen are keeping the prices given to farmers low. Big retail companies will find direct purchasing profitable thus farmers may get a better deal for their products. Consumers also stands to gain as prices may go down due to direct purchase and competition.

Although one may say that I am trying to live in illusion world, but you never know. And look at the history FDI worked wonders for China, South Korea, Singapore and other countries. You never know if it will click for India as well. Also, its not something written on stone; if it won't work decision can always be reverted back ???

Your Thoughts Please.

-CB
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    A Bharti Walmart spokesman says the cash-and-carry wholesaler sources about 90% of its products locally.
    Bharti Walmart has built a direct network of 400 SMEs in less than three years of entering the country. And more than 40% of its total products are supplied by small and micro enterprises.
    Future Group, the country's largest retailer, has more than 4,000 SMEs supplying more than 35% of its total requirements. "They have become our partners for a decade now and understand the business well to service us accordingly," says Future Group
    Chairman Kishore Biyani. He says it is important to source from smaller business because the retail business is highly localised.
    source: Economic Times​
    While potatoes sell at an average of Rs 10 to 12 per kg in the market, farmers get less than a rupee per kg and profits are pocketed by middlemen
    its the same with major fruits and vegetables

In a report submitted to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh: Latest News, Videos and Photos of Manmohan Singh | Times of India in March, the committee of a group of chief ministers chaired by Gujarat CM Narendra Modi.prioritized reducing farm gate to retail costs, saying, "To some extent, farmers will benefit from promotion of organized retail/contract farming as it will have stakes in increased farm production."

Hence I would support FDI in retail and it would bring a new group of organized retail in India and large opportunities for sme's as well as farmers. We need thinnk about 70% of people who live in villages rather than think of only those in cities.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    It is true that farmers get less than a Rupee for the their potatoes. It is of course pocketed by midle men. But why can't we invest our own money? Why do we need foreign direct investment?

We can have more food chains like Haldiram and Narula. Depending on others will not solve our purpose. To me, investment is necessary but it should not be foreign killing our businesses.

One more fact- It is true that around 10 million jobs will be created. I agree. But it will be on the cost of 50 million self employed people in retail sector. Walmart and other food chains have been notorious even in their home countries America!

Investment by our companies in farmer's interest will be more beneficial. It will take time it will be a sure shot option of removing most of the drawbacks in our Public distribution system.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Do u think Haldirams is not selling for very high margins??

Yes it is also doing the same thing
    Its MRP's are more twice the selling price to wholesalers

@Issue : It would have an Indian partner even if it is allowed 51% in company
    Dont you go for ICICI Lombard , Bharti AXA, Vodafone Essar , Bajaj allianz, Tata Docomo

Aren't Lombard , AXA, Vodafone , Allianz foreign companies. Have destroyed the indian insurance or communication sector

In Fact NTT Docomo in India has revolutionized the pricing with paisa billing
    the same will become with retail sector
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Gandalf
    Do u think Haldirams is not selling for very high margins??

Yes it is also doing the same thing
    Its MRP's are more twice the selling price to wholesalers
    See in a similar way, foreign retail brands will also charge high just like HaldiRam. You just said it!

See, initially the foreign retail chains will be giving out products at lower prices. Once the local unorganized retailers are finished, they will be selling things at exhorbitant rates. They will be just trying to get monopoly.

Gandalf
    @Issue : It would have an Indian partner even if it is allowed 51% in company
    Dont you go for ICICI Lombard , Bharti AXA, Vodafone Essar , Bajaj allianz, Tata Docomo

Aren't Lombard , AXA, Vodafone , Allianz foreign companies. Have destroyed the indian insurance or communication sector

In Fact NTT Docomo in India has revolutionized the pricing with paisa billing
    the same will become with retail sector
    Yes, there will be good effects as well but it will be limited to those 10 million jobs. Just think of it, the market comprises of 50 million people today! Will it be good to have 10 million salaried people and lose 50 million self-employed people?

By the way, telecom revolution was also contributed by many Indian companies including Dhirubhai Ambani's Reliance etc.

Yes, there will be
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    I agree with what all of you have said, but there still are things one must consider here.

While some of you are of the opinion that instead of allowing foreign players make out a business here, we should let the Indian players do the same. Why dont you see that the Indian markets were open to these 'Indian' players for decades now! We had the money and time but not the interest to do something on it. Its only when the foreigners are showing interest here, that we suddenly feel endangered about the entire situation.

It is highly analogous to what the political party MNS was doing to the north Indians in Mumbai. All of a sudden when they noticed the north Indians coming in numbers and driving taxis and opening up street side stalls selling fruits and veggies and other stuffs, they felt endangered and started beating them up and protesting against them asking them to go back and not take away those work opportunities from the local marathi manoos. I dont understand where did the taxis and the roads go when the north Indians were missing until a few years ago. Could the same marathi manoos take up those work and feed their families then? They did not care and not that someone else is doing it, they dont want them to do it to.

A similar situation with the retail market. The retail market has been there for the Indian businesses to take advantage off. But what happened? Did the farmers gain anything? or did the customers do?

We still pay the same prices for goods (inflation adjusted) and the farmers get the same rates too. Its the middlemen who have always benefited and manipulated the prices to their advantage.

Though, like CB mentioned, there is a possibility that allowing FDI may erode away the middleman business. But on practical grounds this really wont be possible again. What will instead happen is- the farmers getting the same rates, the cusumers paying the same prices and all the money that used to go to the middlemen earlier would go to the foreigner's pockets.

Remember, these foreigners are coming here to do business, and not to show mercy on our poor farmers!

But all in all, I support allowing more FDI into our retail market. The British, when they came to India, looted us badly before giving us independence but in return built roads, bridges and buildings of unparalleled quality. In today's case, we are being looted by our own countrymen and the politicians in general. So this wont change. Let the foreigners loot us instead (enough with these politicians) and build us good retail infrastructure-better supply chains, cold storages (which are very badly needed) among others.

A similar kind of a situation took place when we were trying to open our markets to the foreigners in other cases such as the stock markets, retail, telecom, automobile etc. Today, the influx of foreign players in automobile market has been a boon to our economy. We have better quality, low cost cars than in most parts of the world and our homegrown companies such as Tata's and Mahindra's got into the competition groove and have become international players in a relatively short period.

I think, we should take our chances with FDI. Atleast, they will bring in order and discipline in this segment if not help us benefit financially. Higher 'chances' are that our local producers will get 'better' price for their products. Some of them surely will, if not all. Let's hope for the best 😀
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    @Issue : Then why are you all worrying if they would charge exorbitant rates . Then simply do not by from them instead go to a kirana and buy local products

i cant understand
    Then What are the other reasons against FDI ???
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    optimystix
    I agree with what all of you have said, but there still are things one must consider here.

While some of you are of the opinion that instead of allowing foreign players make out a business here, we should let the Indian players do the same. Why dont you see that the Indian markets were open to these 'Indian' players for decades now! We had the money and time but not the interest to do something on it. Its only when the foreigners are showing interest here, that we suddenly feel endangered about the entire situation.

It is highly analogous to what the political party MNS was doing to the north Indians in Mumbai. All of a sudden when they noticed the north Indians coming in numbers and driving taxis and opening up street side stalls selling fruits and veggies and other stuffs, they felt endangered and started beating them up and protesting against them asking them to go back and not take away those work opportunities from the local marathi manoos. I dont understand where did the taxis and the roads go when the north Indians were missing until a few years ago. Could the same marathi manoos take up those work and feed their families then? They did not care and not that someone else is doing it, they dont want them to do it to.

A similar situation with the retail market. The retail market has been there for the Indian businesses to take advantage off. But what happened? Did the farmers gain anything? or did the customers do?

We still pay the same prices for goods (inflation adjusted) and the farmers get the same rates too. Its the middlemen who have always benefited and manipulated the prices to their advantage.

Though, like CB mentioned, there is a possibility that allowing FDI may erode away the middleman business. But on practical grounds this really wont be possible again. What will instead happen is- the farmers getting the same rates, the cusumers paying the same prices and all the money that used to go to the middlemen earlier would go to the foreigner's pockets.

Remember, these foreigners are coming here to do business, and not to show mercy on our poor farmers!

But all in all, I support allowing more FDI into our retail market. The British, when they came to India, looted us badly before giving us independence but in return built roads, bridges and buildings of unparalleled quality. In today's case, we are being looted by our own countrymen and the politicians in general. So this wont change. Let the foreigners loot us instead (enough with these politicians) and build us good retail infrastructure-better supply chains, cold storages (which are very badly needed) among others.

A similar kind of a situation took place when we were trying to open our markets to the foreigners in other cases such as the stock markets, retail, telecom, automobile etc. Today, the influx of foreign players in automobile market has been a boon to our economy. We have better quality, low cost cars than in most parts of the world and our homegrown companies such as Tata's and Mahindra's got into the competition groove and have become international players in a relatively short period.

I think, we should take our chances with FDI. Atleast, they will bring in order and discipline in this segment if not help us benefit financially. Higher 'chances' are that our local producers will get 'better' price for their products. Some of them surely will, if not all. Let's hope for the best 😀
    A great diplomat. Think of taking up Politics as a profession
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    optimystix
    Why dont you see that the Indian markets were open to these 'Indian' players for decades now! We had the money and time but not the interest to do something on it. Its only when the foreigners are showing interest here, that we suddenly feel endangered about the entire situation.
    I disagree. The first question that needs to be asked is; do we really need malls? Do we *really* need imported products? Do imported products imply quality? Or are we seeking comfort in believing the advertisements that are false, misleading and deceptive?

Buying fresh vegetables from the hawker who brings them at your doorstep every morning is more luxury than wandering kilometers inside a mall while pushing the shopping cart and even saner than spending 1.5x the money on the same goods. Think about it.

optimystix
    It is highly analogous to what the political party MNS was doing to the north Indians in Mumbai. ................They did not care and not that someone else is doing it, they dont want them to do it to.
    I think this is off-topic. Can't find an analogy. Even if it is; it's a separate issue.

optimystix
    What do farmers have to do with the FDI? The issue of farmer suicide is *not* a money problem; it's an administration problem. The government is clearly misleading people by saying FDI will help the farmers.

optimystix
    Companies like Walmart, which are likely to enter Indian markets through FDI won't have a magic wand to eliminate the middle-man.

The worst: Walmart will directly sell the products imported from other countries. The company would take huge amounts of profits from India and the process would even kill more farmers. Of course, the middle-men would die too. I clearly see that the problem of middlemen or farmers not getting the benefits is a problem that should be associated with administration. If the government is failing in administration; it should resign, instead of letting someone else do the damage.

optimystix
    What will instead happen is- the farmers getting the same rates, the cusumers paying the same prices and all the money that used to go to the middlemen earlier would go to the foreigner's pockets.
    Why is this good?

optimystix
    The British, when they came to India, looted us badly before giving us independence but in return built roads, bridges and buildings of unparalleled quality. In today's case, we are being looted by our own countrymen and the politicians in general. So this wont change. Let the foreigners loot us instead (enough with these politicians) and build us good retail infrastructure-better supply chains, cold storages (which are very badly needed) among others.
    Nothing hurts me more than the above lines. Are you thankful to the British for that? Why can't Indians build their own infrastructure? Because, we don't have the money? Sick! Get those billions of trillions of dollars from Government treasury and Swiss Banks then. *THAT* is the real fix to the problem.

optimystix
    Your words assume that Indians themselves are good for nothing. Had there not been foreign hand; Indians would have died of poverty. I object.

optimystix
    It's already too late. Ever since Independence, the ruling parties have done damage after damage. First they borrowed money from the world banks and deposited in their pockets. Then declared that India can't repay - so they opened Indian markets for the GRAND LOOT - called 'Globalization'. Sick - we're 'proud' of it!
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    optimystix said: #-Link-Snipped-#
    A similar situation with the retail market. The retail market has been there for the Indian businesses to take advantage off. But what happened? Did the farmers gain anything? or did the customers do?​

The_Big_K
    What do farmers have to do with the FDI? The issue of farmer suicide is *not* a money problem; it's an administration problem. The government is clearly misleading people by saying FDI will help the farmers.
    One of the Ways in which it would help farmers

Regardless of the merits and demerits of foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail, the fact is that a tie-up between organised retailers and farmers benefits both, as also consumers of farm goods.
    • Retail chains, irrespective of whether they are owned by foreign or local companies, usually find it advantageous to source their supplies of fresh agricultural produce locally, preferably from the growers themselves. For this, they do not grudge investing in cold stores, refrigerated transportation and other necessary infrastructure. It is also in their interest to introduce improved technology for production and post-harvest treatment of farm products to enable farmers to produce goods of the desired quality.
    • Viewed from this angle, the government’s decision to permit FDI in retail – with the insistence on a 50 per cent investment in back-end infrastructure and at least 30 per cent procurement from small processors and manufacturers – seems a welcome move. However, farmers could have gained more without the rider of confining the foreign-funded retail industry to big towns with a population of above one million. In fact, it would have been better to incentivise organised retail chains to spread out to relatively smaller towns to bring them closer to farmers. That will facilitate better integration of the rural economy and urban markets through easier backward and forward linkages.
    It is indeed noteworthy that despite adverse reactions from several quarters, rural-based political parties like Punjab’s Shiromani Akali Dal and governments of agriculturally advanced states like Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Orissa, among others, have hailed the Centre’s move to open up the retail sector. The Confederation of Indian Farmers’ Associations (CIFA), in any case, has been demanding greater investment, including foreign investment, in rural infrastructure and retailing. The federation, which spearheaded the crop-holiday movement in Andhra Pradesh, has even sought a special session of Parliament to consider farmers’ demands that include FDI in retailing.
    • Lack of access to efficient and competitive markets and a paucity of modern facilities for post-harvest management, especially perishable items, are among the significant constraints that farmers face in raising their incomes. A sizable part of the total farm output, 30 to 40 per cent, is spoilt even before it reaches markets. Unfortunately, much of this loss goes to the farmers’ account.
    • The agricultural marketing network and laws governing it are inadequate and outmoded. Recent official estimates show that there is, on average, only one proper agricultural market in an area as large as 435 sq kms. Even in an agriculturally-advanced state like Punjab, which produces large volumes of marketable farm produce, each regular mandi caters to around 114 sq kms. Growers, therefore, have to either travel long distances or dispose of their produce in local informal markets, like rural “haats”, at whatever prices offered. Retail trade’s back-end linkages can change this situation by bringing the market to farmers’ doorsteps.
    • This apart, the involvement of numerous intermediaries between farms and folks adds to marketing costs, escalating prices for consumers even while denying reasonable returns to growers. The producers’ share in the final price paid by consumers is often meagre, less than 30 per cent for perishable items like vegetables and fruit. That is why the present spell of high food inflation has not benefited farmers. Nor has it induced production to respond to demand and high prices the way it logically ought to have.
    This anomaly can be rectified to a considerable extent through direct linkages between growers and retailers, minimising the intermediaries.
    This aside, the presence of organised retail outlets nearer villages can encourage these to evolve demand-driven business models that involve the provisions of goods and services needed by farmers. These can include farm inputs as well as supportive services like agricultural extension and bank counters or ATMs to meet most needs of farmers’ at one place. Some of the indigenous retail chains have already developed and successfully tried such models. Others would surely stand to gain by emulating them.
    source : Opinion Articles on Business Standard
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I am still skeptical about FDI in INDIA but I am changing my opinions lately. I was not too 'for' for FDI, but then what better way than push someone to the wall to get benefits for the common man? We did not have 51% FDI in INDIA in last 60+ yrs, what major changes have been noticed? Are we happy with the 'healthy' competition ? all we see is huge rise in inflation.We see food grains stored in tones and going waste in go-downs .We see onions and tomatoes rotting and waiting for a price hike to be released in the market.One major point being put forth for implementing FDI is improvement of supply chain. I believe that is true.The amount of food wastage would be reduced due to stringent profit making policies. The need of middlemen would also be reduced. When people start getting better and fresh food from foreign investors, internal players too will UP their game. I some how believe the infrastructure would as well improve to accommodate these changes.
    As well, WALMART,Wollies wont be putting a threat to mom-and -pop stores(kirana stores) in INDIA. Obviously at 7 am you would not wait till it strikes 10 am to go to WALMART, don't forget that WALMART and similar stores need huge floor area and obvious choice to establish such stores would be far from city and no one would travel that far to buy stuff like toys/furniture or toothbrush or for that sake fruits and veggies. Only people who love to say -" we went to Wollies last nite" might
    Recently a famous who-doesnt-deserve to be named, said she would set ablaze any WALMART that would open up. I don't feel the threat is from WALMART, there is rather a treat from 7-eleven stores to the local kiranas.
    I agree to someone mentioning about foreign good entering the market. I think some part of solution would be emphasizing on INDIAN manufactured products, at a reasonable price and not stock some cheap products at lower prices.
    There are many nations which don't have FDI , but still their markets are flooded with Chines products . That's the the point to make here I guess. Foreign products would be a threat any how. The other day I say KITES which were made in china. Then FDI was not around. So those products were and are still a theat to our manufacturing units.

I am still getting to know the pros and cons of FDI , so can't say at the moment.
    here is a good post --> #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    There were some good points by Durga. Not quoting her as you can read her reply above.

You see, computer industry was there since 1960's in USA and started blossoming there. But when are we getting into computer business? It is actually in 1990s. So we are lagging.
    Sam Pitroda, Narayana Murthy etc are responsible for making our country techno-freak. There has to be some pioneer for any industry and others then follow suit.

For 60 odd years there was no pioneer in Agricultural sector. So that industry was lagging. This is actually Government's job to nurture entrepreneurship among people so that people get more ideas for developing infrastructure and boosting country.

Now Optimystix: It is true that I liked your post but it is for the poitive points about FDI that I found interesting.

Regarding looting our country, Do we want that our country should be looted turn wise once by Foreigners then by Politicians then by foreigners and again politicians?

I only know one thing that 50 millions jobs should not get compromised for a short term vision of creating 10 million jobs.

Try to make infrastructure strong on our own guts. Why to use foreign crutches?

The best way to stop this argument is to start our own businesses rather than going for salaried jobs, earn money and develop our country.

Always remember India is not an investment option. It is our country for heaven's sake and it is more than any anything for us.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Gandalf: The point is Walmart won't just sell fresh vegetables. Their main business will be to stuff the stores with foreign, non-agri products. The mental slaves people have become that they think anything in a shiny package is 'good for health'. I belong to the world of advertising and know how easy it is to fool common people with repeated lies.

Just an example: Fair & Lovely (and now, Fair & Handsome) show a blatant lie on TV that they make you fair. Show me *ONE* example where a dark person has turned fair. The bad part is; each of their advertisement makes people believe dark-skin is actually a bad thing and hinders your chances of success in life. People usually don't have time to 'use' their brain. They'd readily believe any actor posing as a 'doctor' by wearing a white apron.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    The_Big_K
    @Gandalf: The point is Walmart won't just sell fresh vegetables. Their main business will be to stuff the stores with foreign, non-agri products. The mental slaves people have become that they think anything in a shiny package is 'good for health'. I belong to the world of advertising and know how easy it is to fool common people with repeated lies.

Just an example: Fair & Lovely (and now, Fair & Handsome) show a blatant lie on TV that they make you fair. Show me *ONE* example where a dark person has turned fair. The bad part is; each of their advertisement makes people believe dark-skin is actually a bad thing and hinders your chances of success in life. People usually don't have time to 'use' their brain. They'd readily believe any actor posing as a 'doctor' by wearing a white apron.
    Hence, there comes the real need for education
    Though i think even if they stock up piles of foreign brands but taken the cost into consideration it would be bought only by upper middle class and the richer classes who any way prefer foreign brands quality over indian

Take a car as an example, richer class would still prefer a BMW , Mercedes over a Indian Car like Tata or a Maruti

India's Middle class is estimated at 150 million whereas the total population is 1.21 billion
    22% of population lives below poverty line
    Shouldn't we worry about eradicating poverty and illiteracy

Creation of job opportunities would give a boost to both literacy rates since it will lower unemployment rate
    It is presently estimated at 9.4 % i.e 94 persons per thousand are unemployed

Advertising has been a field to fool people
    Coke, pepsi and other carbonated drinks are manufactured for less than 5rs/Litre
    and sold at around Rs 33/litre

Some positives that i feel would boost india's growth story with FDI
    1. Increase in Knowledge of retail industry in India to rural areas means Larger Exposure
    2. Farmers will be able to know the different new technologies available
    3. Our Villages would be able to prevent loss of crops and wastage because he could not sell it and it is perishable
    Won't The companies bring their profitable technologies and would implement it in Indian Farms
    and decrease the food wastage

Rabo India's Report to Ministry Of food processing estimates food wastes worth at a whooping 58000 cr every year
    I see no problem if they are getting utilized
    Think of the overall population rather than a 12% middle class or a 10 % of upper class
    Think of a wider population of around 75%

This was the point i intended to make by the post of article from business standard
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    optimystix
    The British, when they came to India, looted us badly before giving us independence but in return built roads, bridges and buildings of unparalleled quality. In today's case, we are being looted by our own countrymen and the politicians in general. So this wont change. Let the foreigners loot us instead (enough with these politicians) and build us good retail infrastructure-better supply chains, cold storages (which are very badly needed) among others.
    The_Big_K
    Nothing hurts me more than the above lines. Are you thankful to the British for that? Why can't Indians build their own infrastructure? Because, we don't have the money? Sick! Get those billions of trillions of dollars from Government treasury and Swiss Banks then. *THAT* is the real fix to the problem.
    But i am afraid biggie that our current political is lacking the will to do so.

Our current political is disposing it off away from Swiss Bank and getting some alternative to it

Remember Hasan Ali alleged of holding black money of various politicians
    and we openly noticed how $8 bn was transferred away

India has been one of the richest and self sufficient country since ages
    Hence , Proud to be an Indian

In Todays scenario Optimystix seems to be right we haven't changed
    1. May it be the MullaPeriyar dam
    2. Water Supply Network of Various Cities including Mumbai
    and various Infrastructure issues lead us to exploring new horizons
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Gandalf: I know politicians are the big part of the problem. But FDI isn't a solution; as it's being perceived. It's just like saying we prefer being robbed by outsiders than insiders. Going by the logic that "they at least built roads and buildings"; I can say that Indian government has 'at least' given us whatever little development (?) we have.

Administration is the main issue. Someone will have to accept it sooner or later.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    The_Big_K
    @Gandalf: I know politicians are the big part of the problem. But FDI isn't a solution; as it's being perceived. It's just like saying we prefer being robbed by outsiders than insiders. Going by the logic that "they at least built roads and buildings"; I can say that Indian government has 'at least' given us whatever little development (?) we have.

Administration is the main issue. Someone will have to accept it sooner or later.
    Someone will have to accept it sooner or later
    Who is that someone going to be ???

Another issue india is facing is Brain Drain
    The people trained at premier institutes are lured by Salary rather than working for their Country .

Who are the Foreign Companies ?
    Many of them are powered by Indian Brains including Likes Of NASA and Microsoft
    Why don't they join a ISRO

FDI is not going to rob india.
    Didn't we adopt the western cultures in our day to day life
    Didn't we adopt Industrial Machines in Manufacturing sector

In the same way we need to adopt their concept of working for the all round development of country

We need to adopt some concepts that are not available or not well managed by us
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Hence, there comes the real need for education
    Though i think even if they stock up piles of foreign brands but taken the cost into consideration it would be bought only by upper middle class and the richer classes who any way prefer foreign brands quality over indian

Take a car as an example, richer class would still prefer a BMW , Mercedes over a Indian Car like Tata or a Maruti

India's Middle class is estimated at 150 million whereas the total population is 1.21 billion
    22% of population lives below poverty line
    Shouldn't we worry about eradicating poverty and illiteracy

Creation of job opportunities would give a boost to both literacy rates since it will lower unemployment rate
    It is presently estimated at 9.4 % i.e 94 persons per thousand are unemployed

Advertising has been a field to fool people
    Coke, pepsi and other carbonated drinks are manufactured for less than 5rs/Litre
    and sold at around Rs 33/litre

Some positives that i feel would boost india's growth story with FDI
    1. Increase in Knowledge of retail industry in India to rural areas means Larger Exposure
    2. Farmers will be able to know the different new technologies available
    3. Our Villages would be able to prevent loss of crops and wastage because he could not sell it and it is perishable
    Won't The companies bring their profitable technologies and would implement it in Indian Farms
    and decrease the food wastage

Rabo India's Report to Ministry Of food processing estimates food wastes worth at a whooping 58000 cr every year
    I see no problem if they are getting utilized
    Think of the overall population rather than a 12% middle class or a 10 % of upper class
    Think of a wider population of around 75%

This was the point i intended to make by the post of article from business standard
    I am awaiting CEans views on my above comment .
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    looks like FDI in retail is now on back burner, let's see
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Agree it is assigned lower priority since there are various other major issues the government has to deal with 😒

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please could you throw some light on the topic. 😀 thank you.
This time it is not the social networking giant. It is the researchers who have created the safest Facebook Signup Page. To read more as to what security measure can...
hi friends can anyone give me some seminar topics for the electronics & communication engineering students. for both communications and elctronics
As per the old information, During the pursuit of M.Tech, you are paid a scholarship of Rs. 5000 to Rs. 9000 per month by the Government of India. This amount...
In the recent Construction Week HSE for Life conference, which was held at Doha on 4th, December, 2011, Qatar announced the arrival of the new version of the National Building...