Should I Switch to Development after 3.5 years as a QA engineer?

Well, I am working in an IT company as a Manual tester for 3.5 years now. I have focused mainly on functional and Database testing using SQL server. I can say that i have fairly good knowledge of SQL. I have been learning Selenium using java for quite some time now and can automate a web application at least a bit. I have done IT Engineering degree also have also done MBA(Information Technology) .I am highly confused about my career path.

a) Remain as a Manual/Database tester for a long time.
b) Learn Selenium/automation/Performance testing tools.
c) Learn about Business Analysis/BA and switch to that.
d) Try to become a Java/.Net developer.

Please help me select a valid option which might help me decide my long term career progression.

Thanks Engineers.

Replies

• Inder235
    Inder235
    Well, I am working in an IT company as a Manual Tester for 3.5 years now. I have focused mainly on functional and Database testing using SQL server. I can say that i have fairly good knowledge of SQL. I have been learning Selenium using Java and can automate a basic web application. I have knowledge of basic core java. I have done IT Engineering degree also have also done MBA(Information Technology) . I am highly confused about my career path.
    Following are the options i can think off:-

a) Remain as a Manual/Database tester for a long time.
    b) Learn Selenium/automation/Performance testing tools ans switch to that.
    c) Learn about Business Analysis/BA and switch to that.
    d) Try to become a Java/.Net developer.

Please help me select a valid option which might help me decide my long term career progression.

Thanks Engineers.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-#. You haven't mentioned any strong points that favor switching career. As you mentioned, you already have acquired sufficient knowledge of automation testing and your next logical step should be to find a project in automation testing.

Of course, you should NOT remained confined to manual testing for a 'long time'. I'd recommend talking to your project manager or HR manager. Looking for existing opportunities in current organisation should be your first priority. If the seniors aren't willing to switch you to new role, look for a job in a new company.

You need to have a strong case to switch to development. It may happen that you may be required to use a specific tool or a language for the next few years. You will be in the same situation then. You need to avoid that.

I'd also strongly recommend that you should figure out what kind of career you expect. If you wish to get into management position, you will have to see if your current organization fits in your game plan. Do they offer enough growth opportunities? If yes, staying in your current role for some more time may definitely help.

But if you feel you need to work in technical field for a longer time, you may look for job opportunities elsewhere.

Remember - the decision making will be super easy if you have a clear idea of what path you want to walk.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Inder235
    b) Learn Selenium/automation/Performance testing tools ans switch to that.
    I would recommend this.
    You have good SQL knowledge and if able to implement performance testing in your current organization. It's huge benefit for career in terms of salary and additional plus profile without deviating from testing profile. This will require moderate knowledge of programming mostly in c++ or java. Anyone of that you easily pickup for working purpose.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anybody provide me a design of industrial robot,so that it could be manufactured within a tool room for demonstration to the students ?
Similar to ultrasound technique used in medical tests, a team of researchers has developed a technique to detect the presence of magnetic fields inside stars. Based on asteroseismology, this technique...
Mechanical final year project ideas based on turbine or design and analysis...
Hi I would like to know does anybody take tuition classes here, If yes, can you please answer my questions? 😀 Q1. How do you manage the classes? (Date Wise)...
Got bit confusion. please clear my doubt with examples. Difference between Torque and Moment ?