Should I go for Job or Mtech?

I am an electronics and telecommunication engineer. I got placed in a leading IT company and completed its training. I've been posted to my base branch and the nature of work is completely opposite to what we've been trained.They've mentioned that we would not be learning any technology or our technical knowledge would not be required but our soft skills would be developed in these two years. I feel that i should have concentrated more on my post graduation rather than joining the company. Now I feel that i should resign and continue with further studies. But I am in a dilemma as it is hard to leave a job already in hand and study for another two years. Also in order to get stability in life I'm aiming to prepare for IES and public sector units. I'm very confused what should i do?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vijaylakshmi
    I am an electronics and telecommunication engineer. I got placed in a leading IT company and completed its training. I've been posted to my base branch and the nature of work is completely opposite to what we've been trained.They've mentioned that we would not be learning any technology or our technical knowledge would not be required but our soft skills would be developed in these two years. I feel that i should have concentrated more on my post graduation rather than joining the company. Now I feel that i should resign and continue with further studies. But I am in a dilemma as it is hard to leave a job already in hand and study for another two years. Also in order to get stability in life I'm aiming to prepare for IES and public sector units. I'm very confused what should i do?
    I'm not exactly sure why you joined IT company when you were sure that your interests were in further studies. However, I'm aware that it's difficult to quit job and persue higher studies. In this case, you may continue to work in your current organization and prepare for PG entrance exams. I believe it would take at least one year.

You may then opt for sabbatical from your organization (be sure to discuss the policy thorough with HRs) and continue with your studies. However, if that's not what you'd like to do, then simply quit you job and go ahead with your studies. You'll be happier in the long run. I hope this helps.
  • Vijaylakshmi
    Vijaylakshmi
    well i opted to join the company as my Gate score was not good enough to get admission in NIT. And already a year has passed for joining the company and completion of training. Even my parents prefer for higher studies.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vijaylakshmi
    well i opted to join the company as my Gate score was not good enough to get admission in NIT. And already a year has passed for joining the company and completion of training. Even my parents prefer for higher studies.
    Thank you for clarification.

I guess the suggestion I made in my earlier post would work as you can prepare for the next GATE while you're in job (yes, it does involve lot of hard work, but there's no fun in winning something without hard work, right?). Why not dedicate one hour every day and consume all weekends in 2011 for your GATE preparation? If you go through suggestions made by CEans in other similar questions, you'll find that everyone recommends at least some work experience before you opt for further studies. In your case, the work experience might be irrelevant, but that's something you'll have to deal with.

I believe you'll also make save considerable amount of money to fund your further education. Does it work for you?
  • Vijaylakshmi
    Vijaylakshmi
    Well thats right cuz many people i've talked to have said that continue with the work, get the experience. I know its hard to work as well as study at the same time but then work experience will help rather than having a gap. One more question..is it preferable to do Mtech from private colleges? Cuz I can get admission there this year or should give GATE 2012?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vijaylakshmi
    Well thats right cuz many people i've talked to have said that continue with the work, get the experience. I know its hard to work as well as study at the same time but then work experience will help rather than having a gap. One more question..is it preferable to do Mtech from private colleges? Cuz I can get admission there this year or should give GATE 2012?
    It depends on what your aims in life are. If you want M.Tech just to add few letters after your name, then you may opt for any college. However, if you're interested in letting the degree decide your future career then you will have to take steps to find out which college is the best that aligns with your interests and goals. A general advise would be not to go for private colleges are they don't offer quality education (well, most of them.).

Take (not Give) GATE in 2012 if you think you can do better and will be able to take out some time while managing job. You're aware of your preparation level and you're the best one to take that decision.

PS: Be active on CE and participate in other discussions. That's the best way to keep yourself updated and have views of other engineers on ideas,topics, issues, career decisions, etc.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Reliance, Videocon, Airtel, Dish, Tata Sky - the list is endless for the D2H service providers in India. The price war is on between all these service providers as some...
I just had this funny idea to start a thread about engineers on CE. Add geeky, or nerdy statements to complete the following line. You know you are true CEan...
Sony has come up with yet another ravishing series of VAIO notebook. The attractive VAIO YB series laptop was launched in the pre-show event at the Consumer Electronic Show 2011.*The...
Classification 1.Horizontal, Vertical or Inclined Boiler. If the axis of the boiler is horizontal,the boiler is called horizontal, if the axis is vertical, it is called verticalboiler and if the...
Shell: The shell of a boiler consists of one or more steel plates bents into a cylindrical form and riveted or welded together. The shell ends are closed with the...