Should Facebook Buy WhatsApp?

I'm sure all the Android users here will have whatsapp messenger installed on their mobile phones. The free messaging apps's taken over the world of mobile phones. The app is free for use for one year and thereafter charges $0.99/year. Whatsapp is against advertising and believes that they'll directly make money from their loyal users.

Millions of peopled have downloaded whatsapp and it's become the #2 app in the app store (iOS). Now that's enough to raise Facebook's eyebrows and look at whatsapp as a potential 'capture'. The rumours are spreading on the Internet that Facebook might be looking to acquire whatsapp messenger. The deal could be worth several millions of dollars (if not billions).

Facebook says that the next big thing is gong to be mobile and it just wants to dominate everything that's going 'big' on mobile these days. If messaging is making it big, FB wants to take it over. It did so with Instagram - which was leading the photo sharing through mobile. Now if Instagram had built its own community, it'd have been an indicator of death for Facebook and that's why Zuck emptied $1billion from their pockets.

The bigger question here is - should Facebook buy whatsapp? Of course, from FB's perspective, it might just mean that people don't spend time on whatsapp (they'll spend time of FB). From users' perspective - I'd like to hear your opinion.

One potential problem I see is that whatsapp's business model - which is strictly against advertising. If facebook acquires it, it won't (and shouldn't be) able to integrate their advertising in it. This might make things bit trickier for Facebook to acquire whatsapp.

Would you be happy if FB takes over whatsapp?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In which programming / scripting language Google + (plus) is written ? I tried to search on web , looked into about ten pages ,but no where i found the...
In communication, while transmit the message signal to the optimum receiver like MAP & ML, why we have to convert the the message signal from waveform to vector form?
hello, one one of my friends pointed out that it is always better to delete the contents of the pen drive that to format it every now and then. He...
hey,can anyone suggest me a good book for getting knowledge(any book or site) as how to interface rxd and txd pins..using proper choice of capacitors,inductors and registers...........????
Hi there... i'm a final year mechanical engineering student. please give me some project ideas related to two wheeler mileage improvement.......