Should Facebook Allow Kids & Under 13s?

Facebook may lift ban on under 13s and allow them to create profiles on Facebook as the company finds many kids are already using the service either with their parent's permission or by faking their age. Facebook applied the ban on under 13s because of the stricter legal laws on USA and followed the same policy all over the world. But now, Facebook may rethink their strategy. The company recently floated its IPO and and now has a challenge to keep growing the network beyond the iconic 1 billion members mark.

This brings us to a question: Should the social networking be opened to the kids? The younger ones with vulnerable minds may get exposed to the world they aren't ready for, yet. Or is it okay to just 'open up' the network because it's already being gamed by several younger ones? Should there be any restriction in the first place?

Share your opinion.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Opinions, please? You ought to have one 😉
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    just checked on news Facebook denied it....
    but it is also true that child who wanted to using they are using it by fake id.I think its good that to restrict it to 13 years.
    Facebook is the thing if you calculate number of hours spend on it and got nothing just wasted.
    I am using it because all of the friends are connected to it and we can share happening with us.
    Except, you connected with distance friends, there is no point using it.👎
    Parent should encourage their child to explore real, surrounding things not the virtual world.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I'm not sure if kids under 13 yr old should be allowed access to Facebook. Connecting with old friends and all is ok, but when you are 13, you certainly won't have many 'old' friends to connect to.. What any 13 year old should be doing is getting out in the real world and making new real friends, so that once they grow up and 'miss' their real friends, due to college or relocation or whatever, they can then join facebook and track them down and reconnect.

The online world is filled with all sorts of criminals and bullies and what not.. And even if Facebook's claim that some parents permit their kids to access FB is true, I suspect those parents really don't know much about the internet or FB, they just let their kids do it without regards to consequences.

Heck, even an adult with good working knowledge of the internet is vulnerable to all sorts of scams these days.. What chance do kids have? The adults should be responsible for what the kids are exposed to, both online and offline.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Now i preparing for my final year project and i want to know which PIC microcontroller suitable to use for home alarm security system. I plan to do the home...
Tested takes you inside Adam Savage's man cave where he keeps amazing movie props and collectibles, as well as works on his own projects. Today, Adam tells the story of...
Chibikart is a four-wheel drive ulta-compact go-kart with 100mm custom hub motor wheels. The frame is 34" long and 18" wide (870mm x 460mm). Charles Guan, a student and self-professed...
Google has brought for us the next frontier in Search. It is the Knowledge Graph, a huge collection of the people, places and things in the world and how they're...
Coursera is a social entrepreneurship company that partners with the top universities in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free. There are many courses available....