Should engineering colleges advertise placement records to attract potential students

I visited official websites of engineering colleges specifically from India. I was amazed to find out that most of the engineering colleges boasted their placement records and also displayed which company recruited how many students from their college.

This got me thinking. Is it right for an engineering college to advertise its placement record to attract potential students?

What is your take?

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Re: Should engineering colleges advertise placement records to attract potential stud

Yes, of course. I don't think there's anything wrong in doing so. Colleges generally advertise their infrastructure, their faculty, the type of research going on and the opportunities and career options available. Similarly, they can also advertise about the placements too.
    And for argument's sake, even if we assume a certain student joins solely because of the placement record, it doesnt guarantee that he'll get placed too. He has to have stuff, otherwise, no matter what college he's with, it'll be difficult to get placed.
    So, the bottom line is, there's nothing wrong in doing so, as long as other areas like infrastructure are also properly advertised.
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    Re: Should engineering colleges advertise placement records to attract potential stud

silverscorpion
    Yes, of course. I don't think there's anything wrong in doing so. Colleges generally advertise their infrastructure, their faculty, the type of research going on and the opportunities and career options available. Similarly, they can also advertise about the placements too.
    And for argument's sake, even if we assume a certain student joins solely because of the placement record, it doesnt guarantee that he'll get placed too. He has to have stuff, otherwise, no matter what college he's with, it'll be difficult to get placed.
    So, the bottom line is, there's nothing wrong in doing so, as long as other areas like infrastructure are also properly advertised.
    This is true.. If a college has got rights to advertise its infrastructure, experienced faculty members, research sponsors, opportunities and values in future for its courses, it has its own rights for revealing the placement records too.. As scorpion said, if a guy has not got any stuff, he wont be placed even if he is from harvard or other popular colleges or B-Schools...
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L

I would rather say that advertising placement records is now being used as one of the most vital tool in increasing the number of students enrolling in a particular college..If the placement records are true then its ok..But most of the colleges try to attract students just by giving fake records..Beware of all those institutions..

As the number of engineering colleges is on the rise especially in Tamil Nadu,management of the college tries to attract students through these methods.Even now there are colleges lacking in basic infrastructure,poor laboratory maintenance and the list could go on and on..Hence,if they can really bring in all those companies for on campus they can publish otherwise there is no point in giving out all those fake records..
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14

Without advertisement no one is going to even find out time to look at you in such a busy world and that too where they have many choices.

Advertisements matters to attract people but yes speak truth in advertisement otherwise you may get in heavy loss(either in fame or in money) also.
  • mail154
    mail154
    Why Not? But Believe me most of them were fake especially in states of flooded engineering colleges.Nothing is in the college and half of them were given a job which even can't match up with their bus expenses to company and home.if its true surely they can advertise. but placements became major advertisement tactics nowadays so its difficult to find real ones.
  • Prashanth Raj
    Prashanth Raj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I visited official websites of engineering colleges specifically from India. I was amazed to find out that most of the engineering colleges boasted their placement records and also displayed which company recruited how many students from their college.

This got me thinking. Is it right for an engineering college to advertise its placement record to attract potential students?

What is your take?
    i think they need to show of their squad of professors ....
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I strictly condemn this act because private institutions make a false image on their talent to produce quality employees.
    They pay a large sum of money to corporates or industries to conduct a campus interview .They selected students were selected and given job on temporary basis or company will have a poor background and spoil the students llife.
    As @#-Link-Snipped-# said they should post their professors degree and their reputation .
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    It is not a fault of the colleges if you see. Most of the people going in for such courses care about placement. They don't care what they are taught, what branch they get, what location nothing. They want a job ultimately. They dont care about infrastructure. So when placement is the point of sale, why not advertise it. It is the only thing that matters right now.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Nayan Goenka
    It is not a fault of the colleges if you see. Most of the people going in for such courses care about placement. They don't care what they are taught, what branch they get, what location nothing. They want a job ultimately. They dont care about infrastructure. So when placement is the point of sale, why not advertise it. It is the only thing that matters right now.
    It outshadows government institutions record and they lure students with false advertisements.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Students have changed their idea about college. To many college has become a place where the passage of money starts

They are not looking at the status of knowledge they get in college That makes this advertisement really attractive to the students and mostly the parents of student

To Parents if college has placement history then the college is reputed other wise it is not This attitude makes them blindly follow advertisement
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    CSK AUTO
    It outshadows government institutions record and they lure students with false advertisements.
    Not everyone was aspiring for government institutions in first place. People want rapid result, placement. Government places are actually good for those who are there for science and development. not jobs.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    Not everyone was aspiring for government institutions in first place. People want rapid result, placement. Government places are actually good for those who are there for science and development. not jobs.
    Mate you are mistaken the government run IIT and Anna University in Chennai hold the maximum placement record in all of Tamil Nadu. Saying this Governemnt college students take up higher studies much easier than the private college students That makes a little difference in the placement records of both colleges

Even though you get placed you not getting kicked out of the firm depends on your first impression there
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Conqueror
    Mate you are mistaken the government run IIT and Anna University in Chennai hold the maximum placement record in all of Tamil Nadu.
    This is not the story for every government college in India. South India is very advanced in this stuff. It is not the story for the rest of it. And talking about GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS generalizes it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi i m 3rd year mech student. i want to do project abt heat transfer so pplz suggest the project topic .....
Name: jatin *Engineering Trade: Computer science Location: New Delhi *Occupation: Student and i'm also trying to convince a relative of mine to let me work in his garage. the internal...
what are the various domains that the trainees are divided into? also give one line description along with the title.
Punch-lines releted to CraZyEngiNeeRs.... Just wright Your thoughts in One sentance releted to CrazyEngineers...
can u provide info about A GPS map digitization program