Should Companies like Microsoft start developing cross-platform applications

Hey folks, I would like to put forth a discussion in regards to Cross-platform development of applications.

Suppose if you switch to a Mac OS machine, wouldn't it be cool to still continue using Microsoft Office. You like the shape/features of Lumia, but you prefer working on Android, wouldn't it be cool.

You want to use VS to make apps within Linux environment, isn't it a boon for the developers.

Do you think these companies should think about the overall development of technology rather than create hanter among themselves?

Replies

• Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    They aren't developing because there are third party software companies already doing it. If the standard big guys go into cross platform, they would have to deviate their focus. And to a small extent, they support cross platforming!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhijit Dey
    They aren't developing because there are third party software companies already doing it. If the standard big guys go into cross platform, they would have to deviate their focus. And to a small extent, they support cross platforming!

There are other companies which are fulfilling the purpose is true, but it would be better if we get EPIC Softwares like Office, or VS for other platforms. Not all but some major ones.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Linus Torvalds once said, "If MS ever does applications for Linux, it means we've won"

BTW most of Linux users won't support copyright applications, we have habit of using applications which says
    "XYZ is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
    This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE."
    However we respect some licensed applications like steam.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It will be nice to hear but the possibilty of making it real.Take Nokia for example.They never made a positive approach towards google's android.they went for microsoft to avoid android but this had made a negative responce in terms of nokia's growth.They last their places to Samsung.Same situation arises in all fields whether it is smaller or bigger "Ego" wins the race.

My perception:Its not going to happen........๐Ÿ˜ .
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# What else can you expect when Nokia's CEO is from Microsoft ? Ofcourse,not Android Nokia phones.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# What else can you expect when Nokia's CEO is from Microsoft ? Ofcourse,not Android Nokia phones.

What you are saying is purely on rivalry point of view. I am talking about Technology point of view. It will increase feasibility of products and their distributions also. Apart from that, you get a variety of better option. You like Lumia and JellyBean, make it happen. That is what I would like though.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    Linus Torvalds once said, "If MS ever does applications for Linux, it means we've won"

BTW most of Linux users won't support copyright applications, we have habit of using applications which says

However we respect some licensed applications like steam.

I don't see any reason where Linux is fail. It is a good operating system. The best open source deployment of Unix you can say. If Linus thinks that MS will judge success of his invention, then that is his point of view, But I really think that MS will launch Software like Office and Server utilities for Linux platform also soon enough. They are coming up with mass distribution plan for marketing and they cannot ignore Linux users.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    Linus Torvalds once said, "If MS ever does applications for Linux, it means we've won".
    Yes,
    They are already scared and falling behind open source.
    If they do that mean preparing their own coffin.โ˜•

See the frustration of Microsoft new ads, mocking and targeting rival's products.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    ianoop
    Yes,

See the frustration of Microsoft new ads, mocking and targeting rival's products.

Even if they will encourage open source by making cross platform apps, but they will at least be the monopoly in office utilities. Better Business. They already know their hold over OS is gone, its better to save other things.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    Yes,

Half a decade more.
    Tux is coming for rescue & Free this world ๐Ÿ˜

We need a little bit of exposure, which Linux will get once Ubuntu Touch enter the market in April 2014. Dell is the only company selling Linux pre-installed.
    I assume that after April 2014, we'll have few more giants selling Ubuntu OS pre-installed in their laptops.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    Half a decade more.
    Tux is coming for rescue & Free this world ๐Ÿ˜

We need a little bit of exposure, which Linux will get once Ubuntu Touch enter the market in April 2014. Dell is the only company selling Linux pre-installed.
    I assume that after April 2014, we'll have few more giants selling Ubuntu OS pre-installed in their laptops.

I just came back from a computer showroom as a friend wanted some help buying one laptop. And guess what, HP / Lenovo / Dell / Acer are selling pre-installed Linux (Ubuntu). But waiting 5 more years doesn't seem healthy for Ubuntu fans. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    The trick here is buying a linux laptop and then installing windows later, people find it cheaper!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

why the cross section of the dam varies?
If some one slaps on your cheek,what is the temperature at the point of contact(between hand and cheek) and How much amount of work done received by you?
Yes I am damn serious friends.I had been a member since 2010 but active for past three months but CE has lost its golden touch.Its thirst to innovate,educate and enlightement.Yes...
I want to know which video converter do the best job in Conversion of Video files.I had tried the following video converters and only some of them satisfied me .They...
I had been struggling these days to save the files in my pc but due to excess size of files I was forced to delete the files.Please suggest me the...