Should companies ban freeware in offices?

This will appeal to most of the IT engineers we have on CE. I've noticed that a lot of software/IT companies have a policy that bans the use of freeware in companies. Result? -

1. You can't use Firefox.
2. You can't use thunderbird.
3. You can't use freeware productivity suits etc.

Most of the people are forced to use IE6 because of this policy.

What do you think?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Companies should not ban freeware in office.

In my old office I have to test on multiple browsers , thus I have access to all kinds of browsers and installs.

This helps in learning new things and working on new things as well.

I worked on selenium open source tool in my old office , my friends currently working on Android.

But here in new office I am forced to use IE 6.0 .
    If I open Wolfram Alpha , it says you are using Ie.6.0 please use a updated browser, few features dont work properly.

So for application we will use IE6 but for other things we should be allowed to use mozilla ( my favorite)

So companies should not ban!!!!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    the companies may not allow them for a variety of reasons. For example, they may be concerned about trojans that may come with some freeware, clutter that could slow the system down..the company should allow them to be used on a virtual machine at least..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I guess we dont have any problems in downloading Mozilla and chrome browsers correct?

Atleast they should install these browsers along with the outdated IE6
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    English-Scared
    I guess we dont have any problems in downloading Mozilla and chrome browsers correct?

Atleast they should install these browsers along with the outdated IE6

I agree with this, IE 6 is a security is a hazard, in view of this IE should be upgraded to IE 8 at the very least..
  • justaglance
    justaglance
    Companies should not ban using freewares.

I have to work in multiple browsers for web application testing.

Thank God, my concern is allowing us to use freewares
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    wat a buzz...freewares are to be allowed...if trojan & malware are the issues then i believe closing the firefox etc is not the solution rather we should have a stronger antivirus & malware program on our PC..& for that solid cyber security need to be prepared to avoid same in longer run of "corporate security"
  • safwan
    safwan
    But if we have good enough anti virus then no problem of using this companies should allow use of FLOSS.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Official Website: ic-main World energy consumption has risen by 45% since 1980 and it is projected to increase by another 70% by 2030! The simple and powerful solution is intelligent...
what is Antenna Tuning ?
help needed to generate random codes in C++/c . what is the algorithem of the programe in the above mention languge. dont use any built in functions...
hey I am not able to put inside a image here can anyone tell me how to upload a picture here??
Hi, i want to know if there is some way to delete the volume that result from the interference between two parts in the assembly environment. I want them to...