Should Companies Ask Jr. Employees To Sign 2 Year Bond?

Many leading companies, I've come to know, are asking engineering grads to join 2 year contract at the time of joining. The contract abides the new employees to continue the job with the employer for a minimum of 2 years. It's one-sided bond; meaning the employer can terminate the employment but the candidate cannot.

I've heard that this is done because the employers spend considerable money and efforts on new joinees in training them for projects. Lot of recruiters eye these 'trained employees' and offer them a slightly higher package and thus save the whole cost of training them.

But this may work against the candidates in many cases. For example, if the employer doesn't offer work in the domain of candidate's interest, the employee is bound to get frustrated and stuck up in job for minimum 2 years. Or worse, if the employer does not have a project the candidate is made to be 'on bench' for months! That ruins future career prospects for the candidate.

What's your take on this?

Replies

• Leo
    Leo
    I'll anyhow not join any such job if there is this kinda bond.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, the argument of the companies is a valid one only.. After spending a sizable amount of time and money, anyone would be pissed off if the candidate were to just move to another company for want of a higher package..

So, it's up to the job seeker to accept the bond or not, according to his/her plans for the period of the bond..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A company should be such that even the newly joined graduate engineers shouldn't feel like leaving it. Something like 'Facebook' 😀
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ha ha.

Ya, that would be the ideal goal of every company, but unfortunately, that is not the case most of the time..

People are always on the lookout for better packages, be it better job environment or better salary and perks etc..

So, it'll definitely be difficult for companies to sustain the interest of the employees to keep the attrition low..
  • greatman
    greatman
    The bonds are present as the Business is "purely" profit driven for themselves. Same is the case for candidates. But I feel if they are appropriate and not very greedy clauses for too long a time.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear CEans, We are here, boasting ourselves as members of developed nations and we simply turn a blind eye to facts. Now, I want you all to remember that we...
Might be you have observed,some dark lines appearing in monitor screen(mine is CRT) ,when viewed through mobile camera ...otherwise my monitor is working fine... Why is it so??Any Electronic reason??
In Thevenin maximum power transfer theorem it state that the load resistance,RL must be equal to internal resistance of the source,Rin. However, the efficiency of the circuit is just 50%....
pls.i'm a final student of telecommunication option,i need a good/slmple project topics for my final year project.
can anyone tell me how to extract scheduler code from linux(ubuntu/debian) source code?