Should cars have black boxes like aeroplanes?

Do you think the governments all around the world should make it compulsory for all the automobile makers to install a black box like those in aeroplanes. I believe it'd help bathing a lot of important data and may also help regulate traffic (by using GPS data & regulating it with traffic signals information).

But that'd also make the cost of the vehicle go up. Do you think cars should have black boxes?

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    On theory it might seem like a good idea. The government can keep an eye on citizens. They can be caught if they are speeding and if they are in the wrong lane. They can track a stolen car with ease and even monitor suspects.

If you try to implement it there are surely going to be some problems.

· The companies might not agree with this rule.

· The cost of implementing this black-box on existing cars is going to be mind boggling and you have to spend even more money to hire people who would formulate the laws and entire departments to monitor the extensive logs generated by millions of cars.

· It will not solve the problem of the police question “So.. Who was behind the wheel at the time of the crash?” Remember the Reliance-owned Aston Martin case?

· Privacy issues, people will surely object the idea of monitoring cars 24 x 7.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I guess atleast cabs should be installed with those things , which avoid lot of things these days and people will and should not object monitoring 24 X 7 the public cabs because it is being used for public transport and not private.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    One reason for black boxes in flights is accident recreation is highly impossible in real time.

But for a car it is easier.

Next monitoring a flight at 30000 feet is impossible with ground cameras. Which is not the case in Cars.

Finally negligence is always not a cause for flight accidents even birds can cause chaos, Whereas car accidents are mostly due to human negligence

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Please refer the below link for the latest job openings in Mumbai & Hyderabad. https://sites.google.com/site/xyntechrecruitment/
ISRO is all set for the GSLV-D5 / GSAT-14 satellite launch. After two successive failures, success of this mission is very critical for ISRO's engineers. All eyes are set on...
I upgraded the Ram memory to 2 gb to 4 gb in my dell vostro 1015. however, its not showing 4 gb still its showing 2gb in system properties. Actually...
Curious to know how many of our CEans have officially became the members of a political party. You may belong to any country; I'm curious to know which party have...
CBSE is again going to change the educational system in India. As a part of that campaign, The Open Text-Based Assessment (OTBA) will be launched as a pilot project for...