Should a tomato be considered a vegetable or a fruit?

This is a fun debate topic and has no purpose to hurt anyone. The author of this thread apologizes if anyone's feelings are hurt.

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Biologically its a fruit but we count it in list of vegetables in layman's language.๐Ÿ˜‰

I think it should be considered as fruit only because it is biologically correct.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    raj87verma88
    This is a fun debate topic and has no purpose to hurt anyone. The author of this thread apologizes if anyone's feelings are hurt.
    Tomatoes won't hurt unless you throw them at someone. Anyway. I believe tomatoes must be grouped under 'vegetables'. My reasoning is simple.

1. Proof #1: Till now, I have never seen a fruit-seller selling tomatoes. But yes, my local vegetable dealer does sell tomatoes.

2. Proof #2: I always found tomatoes kept in the 'vegetables' section at big grocery shops.

[โ€‹IMG]

Debate is over, I guess.
  • Neha
    Neha
    My vote goes for 'tomato as a vegetable.'
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ha ha, it seems I'm an expert in botany too. Wat to do!!
    So, in my opinion, the answer goes like this.

The confusion about 'fruit' and 'vegetable' arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit. True fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Blueberries, raspberries, and oranges are true fruits, and so are many kinds of nut. Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a 'fruit', though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example. As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits may be called 'vegetables' because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking. The tomato, though technically a fruit, is often used as a vegetable, and a bean pod is also technically a fruit. The term 'vegetable' is more generally used of other edible parts of plants, such as cabbage leaves, celery stalks, and potato tubers, which are not strictly the fruit of the plant from which they come. Occasionally the term 'fruit' may be used to refer to a part of a plant which is not a fruit, but which is used in sweet cooking: rhubarb, for example. So a tomato is the fruit of the tomato plant, but can be used as a vegetable in cooking.

PS #-Link-Snipped-#
  • gohm
    gohm
    There is no debate, it is a fruit. Just like peanuts are tubers, not nuts.
  • tuxpladul
    tuxpladul
    This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing
    Good post. I appreciate it
    Would a new one like me be welcome here?
    ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    @tux - lots of links in your signature, huh?
  • Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    Oh yes, Tomato is a vegetable. No doubt. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Complete Vegetable ๐Ÿ˜›
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Its a Fruit.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    To really figure out if a tomato is a fruit or vegetable, you need to know what makes a fruit a fruit, and a vegetable a vegetable. The big question to ask is, DOES IT HAVE SEEDS? If the answer is yes, then technically, (botanically) you have a FRUIT. This, of course, makes your tomato a fruit. It also makes cucumbers, squash, green beans and walnuts all fruits as well. Along with the fruit from from a plant or tree, we can often eat the leaves (lettuce,) stems (celery,) roots (carrots,) and flowers (broccoli.) Many of these other parts of the plant are typically referred to as VEGETABLES. Now don't go looking for tomatoes next to the oranges in your grocery stores; fruits like tomatoes and green beans are usually (alas, incorrectly) referred to as "vegetables" in most grocery stores and cookbooks.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    silverscorpion
    ha ha, it seems I'm an expert in botany too. Wat to do!!
    So, in my opinion, the answer goes like this.

The confusion about 'fruit' and 'vegetable' arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit. True fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Blueberries, raspberries, and oranges are true fruits, and so are many kinds of nut. Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a 'fruit', though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example. As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits may be called 'vegetables' because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking. The tomato, though technically a fruit, is often used as a vegetable, and a bean pod is also technically a fruit. The term 'vegetable' is more generally used of other edible parts of plants, such as cabbage leaves, celery stalks, and potato tubers, which are not strictly the fruit of the plant from which they come. Occasionally the term 'fruit' may be used to refer to a part of a plant which is not a fruit, but which is used in sweet cooking: rhubarb, for example. So a tomato is the fruit of the tomato plant, but can be used as a vegetable in cooking.

PS #-Link-Snipped-#
    It looks like thesis paper on the topic. After reading it, I completely agree
    with the point.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Yes Its definitely a fruit.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Connect these two pictures.. Who's gonna answer this??
hi guys, i want to know is there any laser which we can connect with computer and control it through coding a program?๐Ÿ˜•
i had blink an idea when i have seen the CCTV futage of TAJ hotel... after attack... ehich was released after 2 day by bombay police.... can we make automatic...
Another idea popped up in my mind. I hope mechanical engineerings in their final year would find it useful - How about developing an automatic gear shifting mechanism for bicycles?...
1)where ccan i get IS codes in pdf formats and is there any document/book in which all general specifications are givin please reply 2)enverionmental NOC for any project (residential/comm/SEZ etc)...